1989 Mack R Model Fire Truck Extended Cab

j hancock

Usually when it’s not the stock R cab it’s a 4 door. I’ve found a few more with cabs like that but half of them have the pump panel on the extended part of the wall.

I will say I’ve never seen the pump panel right behind and facing the jump seat.

Its a shame they’re going to make you “disable” all the sirens and lights before you leave the property, but I’m sure they’d accept just unplugging it. I’m actually pretty sure that rule is total BS but oh well.

Interesting find to say the least.

Edited by CaptainCrutch
  • Like 1

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

In my country if you're going down the road with even DISABLED but still mounted red or blue light on the roof you would loose your licence for a year or two.

Nice and interesting looking R.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

6 minutes ago, CaptainCrutch said:

We like to hit the sirens real quick whenever we see really excited kids or something, and then always lights and sirens for parades and stuff.

That's really nice. Here special lights and sirens are property of the government services. And the authorities don't like concurence. As you know America and Russia are a bit different stories :)

• Haha 1

The only issue here is when you’re really using it, other than that nobody is going to stop you. A couple of guys have been pulled over thinking it’s because of the siren taps but really it’s just the cops wanting to let them know how cool they think their rig is. I definitely think the L would look really weird with all the red lights removed.

I just hope whoever buys this piece doesn’t fall for that and plugs everything back up when they get home. It’s a great rig and deserves to shine in a parade, if not still in service like I know it could.

The thing I hope the most the truck will go to someone's collection being not taken to a set of really fresh parts or redone into a working horse to do commercial job as a tractor or dump.

• Like 1

This is how you pump a hand tub in competition! This is from the mid '70s. Pumping starts at 23.50. l'm in there just can't be seen on the 8mm.   .....Hippy                                                                               

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

This is how you pump a hand tub in competition! This is from the mid '70s. Pumping starts at 23.50. l'm in there just can't be seen on the 8mm.   .....Hippy                                                             

I will say that was no competition and thank god because they discovered in a few minutes that the plugs were missing and there was a big hole in the main reservoir.

It also didn’t help that the only hose at the event with no couplings attached had them detached because it leaked like crazy. The plan was to have ‘Old Lady’ as we call her (the beautiful white hose reel) hook up and spray into this little wooden hose thing built the day before but the museum told us we couldn’t. That pumper was also supposed to roll out to the sound of the old bell ringing but that idea also got scrapped.

I can’t wait for Pump Primers this summer so I can show off both our engines pumping like they still can. My L actually won a competition in the 90s for antiques pumping, which engine would be the first to put water on a fire. Of course it helped that she was manned by professional firefighters but they couldn’t have done it without her.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:44 PM, 1958 F.W.D. said:

This is not an all-Mack built truck. I cannot say for sure who the builder is but it is after Mack exited the custom fire apparatus body business (1984.) The chassis was purchased and sent to a body builder, who also fabricated and installed the canopy-style jump seat roof. 

EDIT: after studying the pics some more, the body was fabricated by 4-Guys, a pretty popular stainless builder in Myersdale, Pa. 

This is a 4-Guys build.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:04 PM, CaptainCrutch said:

Of course it helped that she was manned by professional firefighters but they couldn’t have done it without her.

When you say "Professional Firefighters" you of course mean firefighters that are well trained and experienced, that maintain a professional attitude and conduct themselves accordingly, whether they are career or volunteer, correct? 

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Of course I do, to be more specific they were volunteers at the time but were working on becoming career. They treated her like they would in a real emergency.

I wish I could see an antique rush to an emergency again. There’s nothing quite like it. Hopefully my L comes back from her trip to the vet sometime this week, then we’ll be able to have some fun, seeing as the snow is melting now.

Edited by CaptainCrutch

9 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Thank you. Nothing burns me up more than when people play the "Volly vs. Paid Man" game and will only address paid/career firefighters as "Professionals." One not need receive a paycheck to be a professional.  

Amen!  I was a volly in two FD's, career in another, always professional!

• Like 1

It’s kind of funny being able to say you’ve got 5 pedals when you’re talking to someone who doesn’t quite understand fire apparatus. You always say the other 2 are for the siren and you alsways hear “what’s the 3rd one for?”

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2019 at 10:17 PM, CaptainCrutch said:

It’s kind of funny being able to say you’ve got 5 pedals when you’re talking to someone who doesn’t quite understand fire apparatus. You always say the other 2 are for the siren and you alsways hear “what’s the 3rd one for?”

I tell people it is a factory installed "car jacking deterrent pedal". 

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

6 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

D7D514D8-98F4-4CCE-95B7-D6F6B2A225F0.jpeg.c6362d16a4c56c012e6ecfff036482b0.jpeg

I really like that right there. Kinda like asking a current and young "trucker" to operate an auxiliary transmission these days. Of course more and more don't know anything but three gears, Park, Reverse, and Drive too.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.