"We're Getting Soft"

kscarbel2

I agree we're getting too soft. 0 degrees is nothing that out of the ordinary up here and life goes on as normal. we did get -31 with -60 windchills here recently. at that point safety may become a concern but 0 whatever...lol 

4 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

What the media won’t do for ratings. Polar vortex pffft what a joke, same as “gale force winds” Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas are in a polar vortex with gale force winds almost weekly. Pump it up, make it bigger and scarier than it is and you’ve got quality news according to the media. I had -16 twice last week and we didn’t have to declare an emergency, send the national guard in or close down schools. We just went to work like usual. 

Ahem...cough....ah, forgetting anyone....

F269B8E3-C26B-45CB-A0D4-4288B255A662.thumb.jpeg.7ee681a3697d643ed9d7a961d1139a51.jpeg

She bottomed at -31 last night...but who’s counting backwards. Not beg’in for pity since I-Falls, MN only cancels school at Zero Kelvin.

Edited by Mack Technician

8 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

Ahem...cough....ah, forgetting anyone....

F269B8E3-C26B-45CB-A0D4-4288B255A662.thumb.jpeg.7ee681a3697d643ed9d7a961d1139a51.jpeg

She bottomed at -31 last night...but who’s counting backwards. Not beg’in for pity since I-Falls, MN only cancels school at Zero Kelvin.

My bad, Minnesota is on that list as well and so is any other great state. It isn't cold it's ice fishing weather. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I wish I could find the article our weekly news paper had in either '09 or '10 on our winter temps that year. It was an incredibly cold year. It was so where around 100 days the high was never above 0 and it listed all kinds of interesting stats like that about that winter. I honestly thought I was going to have to buy an extension that year for my ice auger. My hands would hit the slush about the same time the auger would bust through. We lived, but didn't make national news on escaping near death from winter. 

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

11 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

I wish I could find the article our weekly news paper had in either '09 or '10 on our winter temps that year. It was an incredibly cold year. It was so where around 100 days the high was never above 0 and it listed all kinds of interesting stats like that about that winter. I honestly thought I was going to have to buy an ext main that year for my ice auger. My hands would hit the slush about the same time the auger would bust through. We lived, but didn't make national news on escaping near death from winter. 

Are you sure your not thinking about 2013-2014 winter? That was the year LP, if you could get it here, was selling for $6 a gallon. We hit 80+ total days touching subs. 

Wikipedia “Early 2014 North American cold wave”. 

I’m surprised, guessed you would be on quick-punch, thin ice, river system pulling trout and not needing an extension for your auger.

It only got to -26 in my area last evening and we didn't start the car yesterday at all. It was well chilled you could say but it did start relatively easily this morning when the temp was -24. It didn't rattle but took about 30 seconds to pick up all four cylinders. My 99 Durango started just as if it were 40 degrees outside? Of course it does have a group 29 battery installed also so plenty of juice.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

12 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

We had -37 here where I'm at in MN. I will say one thing, 20 below is nothing but -30 is a whole different story. Everything is a lot more brittle. It's like drag racing, the lower your et, the tougher it is to gain .01 of a second. 

When it gets much below -20 it takes an extra 15-30 minutes for all the plastic or vinyl 1/4” lines to warm up enough that they will swell back up and quit leaking air before I can build enough to leave. Oh the joys of winter. 

Y'all should have seen Atlanta this past Tuesday.  The early morning brought light rain and mid-30's temps.  Atlanta shut down with a "severe weather warning".  Schools were closed, people didn't go to work.  By noon, the sky was blue, the roads were dry and the temp was 45......

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, GA_Dave said:

Y'all should have seen Atlanta this past Tuesday.  The early morning brought light rain and mid-30's temps.  Atlanta shut down with a "severe weather warning".  Schools were closed, people didn't go to work.  By noon, the sky was blue, the roads were dry and the temp was 45......

Unreal. Welcome to the new America.

• Like 1

“New America” cont.....

I’m at a CPR and first aid training today. We train on CPR dumbys. One guy said, “hey, why are these things wearing shirts?”. They never had shirts in the past. The instructor said a person (thankfully not from our company) complained about them being naked. It was a national complaint/issue they had to comply with. 

Cant make this stuff up, it’s an armless plastic chest attached to a head! No doubt the same person watched the Super Bowl half time show last night and began shaking uncontrollably at Adam Levine’s bare chest. 

The baby CPR dumbys had to get full onesies. Nearly tore it....Took me five minutes to strip the damn thing off cause the babies arms don’t bend and you have to see the LEDs underneath. 

Shouldn’t you actually take the shirt off in some cases? What’s the point in it being there. Although it’s not as bad as the woman who claimed she was raped because the life guard gave her CPR without her permission. Then she tried suing him.

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

4 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Shouldn’t you actually take the shirt off in some cases? 

They told us in the last cpr/first aid class I had to be sure and take the bra off of women because the underwire can cause burns among other problems when using the auto defibrillator. 

12 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Unreal. Welcome to the new America.

My manor was attacked by snow flakes..

index.png.3a684065b5c066363cfd07d3dedffa54.png

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE