UPS and Mack

On 1/19/2019 at 4:59 PM, upsguy said:

Has anyone heard why UPS isn't buy Macks  anymore? New KW we our getting are junk!!!!

Maybe UPS wanted to buy American.

Most Kenworth customers love their trucks. That's a fact.

And look at vocational, for example. Kenworth has taken a massive market share in vocational over the last 5-6 years coast-to-coast.

It's hard to know what to buy now kscarbel2. There is a local crushing company here that has a whole bunch of crushing plants and equipment.

They used to be all Mack. At one time they had 30 trucks that pulled the crushers, equipment and belly dumps. They were Cat powered Superliner's and some R and DM's when they had to lease extra trucks. Then they switched to Cat powered CL's.

Then when Mack dropped Cat, they dropped Mack and went to T800's. Now they just bought some new T880's and they are looking at other brands now. They said the T880's just don't have the build quality the old T800's had. I have only sat in T880's, but I have ran quite a few T800's and they were good tough trucks (up until 2005 when I drove my last one.)

They said they are looking at Western Star, but I know I am very displeased with the build quality of my lemon.

KW and Pete used to be good trucks, well built, not today. I have broker trucks (MI 8 axle dump trains) working almost everyday, I see a lot of T880's and I see trucks with issues all the time. A all Mack Fleet trucker that I work with a lot (GU 813's and CL700's) seems to have the least breakdowns and issues. They have good drivers and a good shop,  helps a lot. I watch who I use for broker trucks, when they are down costs ME money too. The last time I looked every Mack truck was built in America.

KW and Peterbilt are not as well liked as they make people believe. A local guy here took delivery of 20 new Pete's and 10 new Volvo's. The paccars are an electrical nightmare. Dash lights with a mind of their own, radios working one day and not the next, leaking windshields, cheap interior pieces and on and on. The best part is the exhaust.........they have daul exhaust, but only one pipe is connected, the driver side pipes are capped off under the cab! This was a die hard paccar guy and he is very dissatisfied. 

Paccar is selling a lot of trucks today because people who had bad luck with Sterling and Navistar think there getting a better truck with a Paccar. A small trucker I work with had Ford's and Sterling's, bought 2 new T880's, wish's he still had his old Ford LTL9000's.

• Like 1

Mack of course used to dominate construction. No more. We've all seen entire fleets switch to Kenworth and other over the last 6 years. 

And now, we're seeing dual Volvo/Mack brand dealers promoting Volvo product instead of the Mack brand. The writing is on the wall.

The DAF-designed Paccar MX engine is a great engine in the global market. Set up for US emissions, I haven't heard of any serious complaints.

I know many satisfied KW vocational (e.g. dump) operators running ISX12s in their trucks.

Kenworth and Freightliner were way cheaper on the bid plus rumor was company didn’t get order in on time with Mack last year. Our Kenworths at our building have been a nightmare the Freightliners not much better. I keep turning a new one down and stay in my CX613 mdrive. Been very reliable. After the disaster of a peak we had, according to management, wonder if we’ll get any new trucks this year. 

44 minutes ago, upsman said:

Kenworth and Freightliner were way cheaper on the bid plus rumor was company didn’t get order in on time with Mack last year. Our Kenworths at our building have been a nightmare the Freightliners not much better. I keep turning a new one down and stay in my CX613 mdrive. Been very reliable. After the disaster of a peak we had, according to management, wonder if we’ll get any new trucks this year. 

And yet so many operators are extremely pleased with their Kenworths and Cascadias, so much so that they keep buying more. Interesting.

Mack brand salesmen across the country routinely see their pricing from Volvo puts them $10,000 or more over competitive quotes.

i still say volvo is trying to ruin the mack name.

all the construction companies here will not even look at macks anymore with all the problems they have, and lack of parts. 

kenworth T880 with Cummins engine and allison trans is the hot ticket here these days. 

they just run with no issues. the paccar engine with eaton automatic on the other hand is a headache when they screw up.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Our new kenworth has been ok its a nice truck its got a x15 about 65k miles on it its had a def pump go and check engine light is on but not i. Derate ,he brought it in to dealer they say doser valve problem most likely and it lost a carrier bearing. Ill keep you updated . 

14 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

That's great for a new truck!? Lol. I remember getting a new truck and not seeing the dealer till it was time to trade. 

Yeah i didnt say it was great i said its been ok . The driver seat also already broke had to weld it .   Really the mack titans we have were better than this when they were brand new , but we have had issues with plastic coolant lines on the titans and broken motor mount that ruined the flywheel housing cost 10k to fix that .so we'll see how this kw is when it gets 4-5 years old ,time will tell.

Edited by logtruckman

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, james j neiweem said:

Saw on facebook where UPS has some new Mack Anthems. They look nice. Not sure how big the order was.

They were not ordered by UPS. They are test units that were offered into the fleet by Mack Corporate.  Single screw and tandem.