Could have had a V8!

Stan Leman has one, of course it's green!  It has a bunk on it.  I have a picture of it along with his V8 Superliner and B model at Lakeside Sand and Gravel show.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

4 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Stan Leman has one, of course it's green!  It has a bunk on it.  I have a picture of it along with his V8 Superliner and B model at Lakeside Sand and Gravel show.

Stan is the man that introduced me to Mack B Models back in the early 90's. He had the B Model that I think he has today and a "Green" R Model back then. I lost track of him for years when I mover to Arizona. Found out about his crash that nearly took his life and killed his first beloved CL, E9 with sleeper, that burnt to a crisp, and was "Green". Saw him at Gerhart's in 2013 with a blue Superliner that I presume is "Green" now. Haven't seen him since but hope to one day. Super guy and a true Mack man to the end. Lets see the Lakeside photo...

56 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

No. They should've. The superliner 2 was actually a set forward CL. Technically the CL was a set back superliner to be truthful. 

Same frame for both Superliner 2 & CL even drilled all the same. Only difference was about 4 inches added to the CL for the extended bumper mounts.

MH had a very similar frame to the  RW613 Superliner 2 as well. All could be ordered with an E9. 

The Blue superliner(cummins powered) is still blue as far as I know.   Last story I heard about it a few years back was after an oil change was done somewhere, the drain plug was loose?  Lost oil, lost oil pressure, etc.  I think they were able to resolve it without too much fuss.

He has not been real active in the local chapter anymore(I'm not either, I get to meetings when I can), and haven't spoken to him in a couple years.

I do now recall the CL accident.  I'd forgotten about that story.   The current CL was from the local concrete plant, the name escapes me right now.

Yes, he has/had a std R model, green of course.

When he first finished the V8 superliner(I think it came from concrete plant also?), he kept telling me to come up and take it for a drive.  This was the only time I got the chance.  I pulled it out of the IX center after the Piston Power show back in 2015:

His green B model is called "Gravy Train".  It has a 237 in it, and he talked of wanting to put a 673 back in it.  Years back I had thoughts of working on a trade for my 673.

Did I mention he always wore a green sweatshirt?  Lol!  Stan is pure Mack.

• Like 2

Larry

14 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

Same frame for both Superliner 2 & CL even drilled all the same. Only difference was about 4 inches added to the CL for the extended bumper mounts.

MH had a very similar frame to the  RW613 Superliner 2 as well. All could be ordered with an E9. 

Are you sure the front spring hangers are bolted to the same spots as on RW2? If so which way the axle is set back? Different position of the beam along the springs?

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

8 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Are you sure the front spring hangers are bolted to the same spots as on RW2? If so which way the axle is set back? Different position of the beam along the springs?

No I did not sat that. The spring hangers are different on the CL & Superliner2/ MH. The difference in position is about 20". The holes are drilled for both hanger locations in the frame. The front springs are different, CL 3.5" wide, RW2/ MH 4" wide.

Pics from about 2008- 2012:

2012-04-29-11-02-23-162.jpg

2012-04-29-11-02-42-509.jpg

Superliner I drove in the video above:
supre12.jpg

B model:
b1.jpg

The blue Super:
SDC10868.jpg

From 2007 when he first got the V8 done, he wanted me to make a little video of it making smoke:

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

Larry

23 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Yes, Stan also has an R Model.  Don't recall the exact model and haven't seen it in years.  It had S&S on the door.

Stan's R model was a 300 plus with a 5 speed. I do mean plus, it was worked on a little and with Stan driving he could run with anyone, loaded or empty. Back when I would see him he always hauled heavy and had no power problems with it.

On 1/19/2019 at 6:47 AM, AZB755V8 said:

No I did not sat that. The spring hangers are different on the CL & Superliner2/ MH. The difference in position is about 20". The holes are drilled for both hanger locations in the frame. The front springs are different, CL 3.5" wide, RW2/ MH 4" wide.

This makes sence. Thank you, I looked over some pics of those frames and got the things clear. I keep interested in the desing of RW/MH rails, hope to put my hands on such a chassis some day.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012