Mack Anthem Veteran Truck

I under stand that 2019 will be the last year for rolling thunder here in Dc ,the Pentagon would only let about half into the parking lot this past year ,and that there is some contrived problem with the lefty's  in DC about there permit.

They run 80,000 all day long with no issues mostly east of the Mississippi. 2.64 is the standard ratio with the MP8-445 SE Super Econodyne engine. Plenty of pull and great fuel economy. Sold over 250 of these setups in the last 5 years.

They are just going to wrap this one truck as far as I know. Mirrors are an acquired taste for sure but the visibility is great.

Edited by Jarhead Enterprises
additional information
  • Like 1

Jim Toussaint

Division Operations Manager - Worldwide Equipment Inc

Knoxville / Middlesboro / Crossville / Morristown / Asheville Highway

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 4:16 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

2.64 ass end  must only dragging lite loads or there isnt many hills?

Paul 

Like Kevin said, only grossing a Max of 36,287Kg.

Also bear in mind It's Direct drive transmission. if an overdrive was used(.73) a 3.66 rear would give the same overall gearing in Top..

The main reason those quick Diffs aren't used here is that "Startability" is compromised too Much At our weights.

Edited by Hayseed
  • Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

36 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Direct drive is a lot more efficient with high rear ends than a overdrive with low rear ends. 

Why is that?

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

If you're pulling heavy loads, per Eaton, an overdrive version of their boxes is stronger than a direct drive unit. For US fleets pulling a mere 36k (or less), direct drive works. However, in the rest of the world where the norm is far more, an overdrive box is preferable.

14 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Yeah but is it really a lot more efficient or is it lime pissing into ocean to watch the tide rise

I will grant you it may slightly more efficient but I wouldn't think it would be a huge difference 

Any body got any figures on this ???

Paul 

There's a guy running one of the new Anthems with the 445SE 13 liter engine hauling milk at 80k pounds around the midwest, loaded over 60% of miles, and he's getting 9 MPG.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Less rotation mass on direct drive I would guess with tall rear. Crank connected to input straight to output to the rears. On an overdrive power has to go through the gears. Before the output shaft. Both still have the deadweight of gears though, being constant mesh.