Among the coolest things I ever did...........

1958 F.W.D.

It's nice to hear (read) stories of people doing random great things for others. OD your the man and Fwd that truly was a sweet story. Hope both of you get to meat up more often (pun intended). 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Now that’s a feel good story! I’m glad you shared it with us all. 

I just had an operation on my throat and haven’t eaten much in the last 2 weeks and seeing all that meat got me a little excited!

Wow! Haven't heard the story. Once again, learn somdthing new. Being at Macungie show and knowing not about the smoker origin I greatly enjoyed the result of the high-class coocking job.

Thanks again Randy and Tom.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

55 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Wow! Haven't heard the story. Once again, learn somdthing new. Being at Macungie show and knowing not about the smoker origin I greatly enjoyed the result of the high-class coocking job.

Thanks again Randy and Tom.

It was a pleasure to meet you Vlad   Zina and Tommy 

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

4 hours ago, other dog said:

It was a pleasure to meet you Vlad   Zina and Tommy 

Tom, the very same to you. Great day, great company.

• Like 1

Oh, one of these days I'll escape my Ashland show job and get over and hassle yun's.  Someday.

Glad to see you all had a great time.  Did Vlad get the "long distance" award?  At my FE Reunion we have two that show up, one from Europe and one from Australia.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

Oh, one of these days I'll escape my Ashland show job and get over and hassle yun's.  Someday.

Glad to see you all had a great time.  Did Vlad get the "long distance" award?  At my FE Reunion we have two that show up, one from Europe and one from Australia.

A couple of the guys from the Netherlands were there also, Rene Piteirse (sp?) and Leon Hendricks- they come in here once in a while but for the life of me I cannot remember their BMT Handles. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

5 hours ago, Freightrain said:

You really do need to get there Larry. I'd see people at the Winchester ( Va. ) show, Farmer52 for one, plus others,  and they told me for several years- "you need to go to Macungie!". This was just my second time, Zina's first, and she already said she has new friends now, she's going next year whether I do or not. But i'm planning to be there next year too, since she's going. She's the greatest!😍

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 12:58 PM, 1958 F.W.D. said:

So......
I have always loved to cook (my mom started teaching me when I was 9 or 10), but she made me stop wearing my "special" outfits by the time I hit my teens, and always did the cooking in the firehouse and to this day cook big and/or extravagant meals on holidays. You guys may recall last year, I was in the market for a smoker. I was asking some of the guys on here about them, and Otherdog talked me into buying a pit barrel smoker (www.pitbarrelcooker.com) So I asked the wife to get me one fathers day if she was going to get anything. (For fathers day she usually gets me something Macungie-related like a pop-up awning, or a small charcoal grill, or chairs, portable tables, a hot wheels car, a happy meal- stuff like that.....) So Macungie came, and so did Otherdog who surprised us all for the first time. He kept asking me "Well did she get it for you?" And I had to tell him "No, looks like we cannot afford one right now. I'll have to wait, maybe I will work some overtime and save up."

So the Tuesday after Macungie, I get home from work and walk into the mudroom and damn near fall over a big ass box and damn near break my neck. Seems that the UPS man delivered a Pit Barrel Smoker. The wife was asleep (she was due into work that night) so when I get home from work on her work nights, I wake her up so she can shower, eat and get out the door for 7pm. So I run upstairs and wake her up and kissed her twenty times exclaiming "You got it for me!!! You got it for me!!!" Well imagine my confusion when she says over and over again "What the hell are you talking about you asshole?!! Get offa me! Leave me alone! What smoker? I didn't get the smoker for you, you can pound sand!"

So I checked my Amazon Prime account thinking maybe I bought it by accident when I was looking at it (yes I have done that...........) but nope....Nothing on the account. So I called Amazon and spoke to an account rep.....She traces it back to a (insert real name here...........) "Otherdog with a Gladys, Virginia mailing address." 

So I called Otherdog. The conversation went something like this. Me: "Hey I just got home and damn near broke my neck on a box inside my mud porch."
OD: "huh, what was that?"
Me: "A Pit Barrel Smoker."
OD:" Oh great, I wondered what happened to it, I was looking for your address to send you a Christmas card from the dollar store, and must have typed it on Amazon by mistake. Could you send me my Pit Barrel Cooker back?"
Me: "Uh, no." 
OD: "WTF, it was an accident!"
Me: " Ha-ha, too late-The Gladys Fairy delivered it-you jackass!" 
OD: "Huh... That Gladys Fairy sure is nice!" 

So after going back and forth for a few minutes I let him in on that I called Amazon and found out. And then I said "Look, while this is a tremendous gift and I sincerely appreciate your kindness and friendship, I know it was a mistake and you want it back. But you goofed, and i'm keeping it."

Then he told me that I was one of the big driving forces that made him take off from work for a few days to drive to Macungie, so he could go to Hellertown and get his smoker back while I was at the truck show. But I suspected he might try some underhanded shenanigans like that, and that's why I brought it with me, so he couldn't get his filthy mitts on it.

And since I don't live far from Macungie....I threw together a little pick-a-nick thing for some folks and woke my ass up at 0530 on Saturday, and was out there and at precisely 6:30am I hung three beef round roasts and one bone-in pork shoulder into the very smoker that he gave me as gift almost exactly one year later. And around 2:15pm I got to watch Otherdog munching down. We had a great time and I don't get mushy on here often but it was cool to make some grub for him and watch him enjoying hisself. So thanks again Otherdog and happy fathers day to you and all the other fathers on here!!!

47209059_Macungie2018smoker1.thumb.jpg.8c345458470a79fbc73609729de67510.jpg
The smoker all loaded up at 6:30am
440408000_Macungie2018porkshoulder.thumb.jpg.397f724556ddcda46723437fc176499f.jpg
The smoked bone-in pork shoulder, being prepped for shredding. Then we mixed in an Eastern North Carolina vinegar-based barbeque sauce that my wife made. 

1028623649_Macungie2018carvingroastbeef.thumb.jpg.111a5b5546652377041c45234d7332f1.jpg
Picture of me starting to slice the three roast beefs. Photo by Otherdog's ladyfriend, Zina. 

First time I've played "fix that post" in a long time. Most of the original post is true- well, some of it anyway. And i'm proud to call you friend Randy.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, other dog said:

You really do need to get there Larry. I'd see people at the Winchester ( Va. ) show, Farmer52 for one, plus others,  and they told me for several years- "you need to go to Macungie!". This was just my second time, Zina's first, and she already said she has new friends now, she's going next year whether I do or not. But i'm planning to be there next year too, since she's going. She's the greatest!😍

Zina seemed to be a very nice lady. She's a keeper.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

A couple of the guys from the Netherlands were there also, Rene Piteirse (sp?) and Leon Hendricks- they come in here once in a while but for the life of me I cannot remember their BMT Handles. 

Rene's nick name on here is Mack boy or Mackboy. Leon's one is Mack4ever for sure. 

At all there were at least 6 people from the Netherlands this time including one lady. And there were persons from Australia either.