V12 detroit swap

ranchhopper

I have a line on a running V12 Detroit I was kicking around the idea of putting it in the superliner. I know to some its just wrong to power a mack with a Detroit even though they did from the factory in the 70s. I'm no stranger to fabrication but am wondering how deep into it I will have to go. The truck has a fuller ten speed in it right now so the bellhousing should be right and I know exhaust and linkages will need to be changed. I should have enough room for the larger engine being a parade truck it should raise the cool factor a bit the truck has a newly done in frame rebuilt 300+ there should be a market for that to offset a little of the cost of the swap.

• Like 2

A screem n Detroit Diesel Mack

Now that B a chiky puller

6997d5c2e1c0899f99843770b0d111cd--cool-t

maxresdefault.jpg

with many variations of the Jimmy diesel surely U wouldn't need to stretch the hood

may jack cab up a cuple inches !!

any one got the dimensions of the V12 compared toa Mack 6 or V8?

cya

§wishy

Ranchhopper m80

I feel sure we can spend u're money n waste u're time ......... bigtime LOL

If n u lookn for an inch or 2 in length ( aint we all )

B inclined to shove the radiator 4ward partruding thru the front of the hood n over the bumper bar

Butt

Wadda Eye Know

LOL

cya

§wishy

• Like 1

If you were not working the truck electric fans should work. lots of car guys use them and some of the newer fans a gairly quiet and push /pull the air needed. that being said I always like a truck that can work and show...

I think the KW A model Extended hood is 74" long you can use that as a reference to the superliner hood...

If I was to do it and had the $$$ to play with I think I would move the cab back a few Inches and have the hood re glassed the extra length. It would still look like a stock superliner until you started looking it over  closer.

just my .02

2 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

If you were not working the truck electric fans should work. lots of car guys use them and some of the newer fans a gairly quiet and push /pull the air needed. that being said I always like a truck that can work and show...

I think the KW A model Extended hood is 74" long you can use that as a reference to the superliner hood...

If I was to do it and had the $$$ to play with I think I would move the cab back a few Inches and have the hood re glassed the extra length. It would still look like a stock superliner until you started looking it over  closer.

just my .02

Good points I will give that some thought I do have a long frame the truck had a sleeper on it at one time.

7 hours ago, j hancock said:

Some info to add to your design and engineering process data base.  A DD 12V71 weighs 3,300 lbs.  Just an FYI. 

DD music is like no other!

That's another hurdle to figure out how I'm going to manage moving it around short of an I beam A frame holding it up over the engine bay.

I know an automotive 12V-71 is lighter than a marine or industrial type; the automotive type has stamped steel oil pan for 1 instead of cast & stamped steel sub pan for instance & flywheel housing could be aluminum instead of cast; the governor could be different too if not automotive, but no weight difference there

• Like 2