R model cabs

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Here in Australia ,We also had a Full Fibreglass Cab as An option in the early 70's.

pretty sure the '74 Oil Crisis made the resin Too expensive for the cab to be affordable.

I think there was only 35-50 Made.. BISTBC

march_09hamilton_xpo_436_315.jpg.3f7b219f2fecf93a76e7d033ed47811c.jpg

march_09hamilton_xpo_434_385.jpg.1f587519015bb1321f2283ddead11a4e.jpg

Wow! What was the reasoning for the fiberglass R model cab? Weight?

interesting that glass cab has no rain gutters and the back cab corners have been notched out for the fuel tank brackets, I guess it sits lower so they had to notch it? I have also noticed differences in the US made R model cabs as Mack daddy said, some have that body line and some plus 3's dont

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

1 hour ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Wow! What was the reasoning for the fiberglass R model cab? Weight?

RUST....

They originally were built for a Sand mining/Quarrying Company. I think some also went to a Salt Mine..

• Like 2

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

1 hour ago, Maddog13407 said:

the back cab corners have been notched out for the fuel tank brackets,

I'm pretty sure that the early "Long Cabs" here also had that Cutout..

Swishy should Know. I think he has one of each in his Shed/Yard..

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

No Seed

Only the one 'R'model

the mack COE 'F' model had a full FG Cab most noticeable by the support strut go n from mirror to near the lower section of door

the L8r model had FG cab with steel doors n no mirror support

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a8b8d98f5855eef7s022.jpg[/img]

x206-S.jpg

I'm not aware of a full FG 'R' model cab

cya

§wishy

mackrcab.jpg

mackr612rsaafd8.jpg

mackr612rsbauo5.jpg

mackrmodelcabaaqa1.jpg

mackrmodelcabbakh1.jpg

Edited by Swishy
  • Like 1

Thinking about the original body line question, is that the +3 cab that you put the early metal dash into for the ex Mary Hitchings R-719?  I remember you mentioned that there were a cazzillion spot welds that had to be cut. 

Do you recall the year of the donor +3 cab?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

The grab rails are different also. One cabs grab rails are shorter, but I don't remember which cab, plus 3 or original cab.  Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 12/16/2017 at 8:34 PM, Hayseed said:

Here in Australia ,We also had a Full Fibreglass Cab as An option in the early 70's.

pretty sure the '74 Oil Crisis made the resin Too expensive for the cab to be affordable.

I think there was only 35-50 Made.. BISTBC

march_09hamilton_xpo_436_315.jpg.3f7b219f2fecf93a76e7d033ed47811c.jpg

march_09hamilton_xpo_434_385.jpg.1f587519015bb1321f2283ddead11a4e.jpg

http://truckmadpeople.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,174.0.html    

Being restored in New Zealand.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

9 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

That post is 9 Years Old, So It is anybodies guess if It Got Restored or Not??

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Hi everybody, In the early 1980's we upgraded an R Model Cab from the short back to the long back and fitted the air bag to the back and the trunnion mounts under the front. This also involved remounting the bonnet hinges from the Radiator mounts to a direct Chassis mount and rollers were mounted on the front of the firewall to allow the cab to move in relation to the bonnet. The original tank mounting crossmembers were 2 inch square, which apparently went back to the B models. In the conversion to the Air suspension Cab the crossmember was changed to a 3inch high by 2inch RHS. If you hit a really big bump, the bottom corners could hit this crossmember, so a rubber buffer was fitted beside the air bag to limit this. The cutout in the Fibreglass cab gave plenty of clearance to stop this happening.

To modify the cab for the deep back you needed a new roof and headlining, a new outer back panel and a new inner back panel and lining, possibly a new rear glass and the longer grabrails. Back then the Aircon was mounted on the roof so you had to put new reinforcing bars in the roof to support the unit. I still have the truck and use it occasionally.  Just some memories. - Kav.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2017 at 1:33 AM, mackdaddy said:

I am aware of the original R cab and then the 3+ cab later in the 70's. I have an R-700 series with the 3+ cab but it has a different body line than my superliners. How many changes were made to the R cab?

R 700 cab corner.jpg

superliner cab corner.jpg

I Know what your talking about. I know where there is an all original 1973 R600 fire truck local to me that is the same as Your R700 Dan. I thought it was strange too. I might even have a picture of it.

Thanks, Josh

I checked the Cabs here and four of them had the line down the panel near the grab rail and the fifth, the 1976 Model is just a flat panel without a crease line. It was one of the first Models fitted with the deep Cab in Australia, so it could have been from a different supplier in the USA or a different order. They all have the long Grab-Rail. Cheers - Kav.

• Like 1