HELP The General Ike is leaking

So we got the general Ike fired up today with absolutely no issues whatsoever until I pulled out onto the road. Started smelling diesel fuel pulled over and found that what appears to be the fuel filter attached to the firewall just behind the turbo charger on the 6V 53, was Leaking excessive amounts of fuel from where the filter meets the filter housing. I'm assuming that this is because the gasket is shot from sitting. Is this a simple unscrew the old filter and put a new filter on? Will the system lose prime when I go to do this? I assume that I should fill the new fuel filter with diesel fuel prior to installing

IMG_4503.thumb.JPG.2fdac2c316a18df70766f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Should be fine if you fill filter up good; crank & hold throttle down bout halfway till it clears up good; probably secondary filter; if primary it would been sucking air 

Makes sense. The Baldwin Filter part number is listed as a secondary filter.

Ed Smith

If you lose the prime try spraying WD-40 into the air intake as you crank it. It should run on the WD-40 long enough to get the fuel back up to the filters. Do not try to run it on ether.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

So when I removed the old fuel filter you could see that The O-ring had been blown out of its groove and that is how it failed. Got a new filter lubed up the O-ring filled it with diesel installed it Truck fired up right away but as soon as I throttle it up it blows the O-ring out through the side of the filter and the filter housing resulting in the same pissing of diesel fuel problem I started with last weekend. Took the fuel filter off re-seated the ring reinstalled it and it happened again. Thoughts? Have to believe it's an excess fuel pressure issue. Is there a return line that could be clogged. Truck idles and accelerates perfectly so the motor is getting the right amount of fuel.

Ed Smith

Need to check & see if your getting fuel from return line; dd engines use a restricted fitting to make fuel pressure; it could be stopped up

My friend I appreciate your help. I'm pretty sharp at working on a SBC in a Suburban or 3/4 pickup or the flat six in a Porsche race car but I'm not a diesel mechanic. This being said I'm sure I can figure out what to look for with a little guidance. For sure don't want to call the local Detroit diesel joint.

Can you work me through what and where to look. This is the secondary fuel filter. Pic further back in this thread. Mounted on fire wall. Screw on filter. Using Baldwin filters.

Ed Smith

2 hours ago, General Ike said:

My friend I appreciate your help. I'm pretty sharp at working on a SBC in a Suburban or 3/4 pickup or the flat six in a Porsche race car but I'm not a diesel mechanic. This being said I'm sure I can figure out what to look for with a little guidance. For sure don't want to call the local Detroit diesel joint.

Can you work me through what and where to look. This is the secondary fuel filter. Pic further back in this thread. Mounted on fire wall. Screw on filter. Using Baldwin filters.

Typical D D fuel system lay out. This will give you a good idea where to look.

les04.65.gif

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

You can place fuel pressure gauge in the system to see what is going on. A gauge mounted on a "T" at the fuel filter inlet would let you know what the pressure is at the filter.

Since the truck ran correctly before it sat I would look for a simple problem like a kinked hose or a blockage caused by mud daubers. Take the time to think through what could be damaged by just sitting instead of jumping to the conclusion that it is something serious.

I'd take the return line loose and check for fuel flow first. If not blow it out.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

33 minutes ago, fxfymn said:

You can place fuel pressure gauge in the system to see what is going on. A gauge mounted on a "T" at the fuel filter inlet would let you know what the pressure is at the filter.

Since the truck ran correctly before it sat I would look for a simple problem like a kinked hose or a blockage caused by mud daubers. Take the time to think through what could be damaged by just sitting instead of jumping to the conclusion that it is something serious.

I'd take the return line loose and check for fuel flow first. If not blow it out.

I'd see if you can see return in tank if not remove return line & blow back in it; not lot of pressure; hopefully it's got a little shellac build up; those return lines & restricted fittings can be in a terrible place to get to; according how it's plumbed; take it loose at easiest place first & try;

checking fuel pressure is done at secondary filter head on "in" side; should have another 1/4" pipe plug you can screw into; 20# at idle 60# noload

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well I think the problem might be solved. Put a pressure gauge on the filter housing and it pegged above 80lbs. Old timer suggested that a restrictor fitting on the return line being plugged wouldn't cause that. Told me to check the pump. Pulled the fuel pump and turns out that the plunger on the pressure relief valve was rusted closed. Used a small bolt to work it free and pull it out. The bore was clean but the plunger had rust around the back of it. Used an emory cloth to clean and reinstalled. Ran out of time before I could test drive. But at 3/4 throttle pressure topped out between 55 and 60lbs. Keeping fingers crossed that the problem is solved.

• Like 1

Ed Smith

• 1 year later...

Well... Same problem popped up.  I didn't have time to work on it myself so local Detroit Diesel shop sent a guy with 6v53 experience out and he replaced the fuel pump.  Said the fuel was nasty and decided not to start the truck because he was afraid that it would "gum up" the new pump and create the same problem or that the rack would hang and it could run away.  His suggestion is to tow it to the DD shop and have them spend a couple hours flushing the fuel system....

So the question that begs to be asked, and I know this isn't nearly a big a deal for not DD motors, is should I put some fresh fuel in the tank with some treatment additive and drive the thing a whole bunch and try to clear it out, OR tow it, drop the tank, and flush the system at DD?

Thoughts?

Ed Smith

1 hour ago, j hancock said:

I would do it myself.  There are various products out there for cleaning diesel fuel.  Power Service makes a cleaner.

https://powerservice.com/psp_product/clear-diesel-fuel-tank-cleaner/

Yes, if you wash out the tanks, blow out the lines, and change the filters you should be good to go. I've done that on several trucks with good results.

Edited by h67st
Added info