Old B-Model Road Train

11 hours ago, micked said:

is that a tarp tied on the first crate or the drivers swag?

thats the swag tied up high keeps it dry and drys out any dew etc 

I dont that is a Ballards truck pretty have seen photos of that truck or one from the same crew before will have to think of wear ??????? brain isnt 100 % today so may take a while 

Paul 

On 10/4/2016 at 7:46 PM, harrybarbon said:

This may be an Eric Ballard, Longreach Queensland Australia B model Mack from 1950's.

I have a copy of a Truckin Life article with pictures about Eric, I will scan the story and pictures and post soon.

Picture here is 1 of Eric's b model it was named Maryanne who was Eric's wife. Unfortunately it was attacked with a bucket of paint by a real bastard with no respect for history and trucks (but alas KARMA - he has since gone broke and lost all and more - Maryanne got her revenge) , and now Maryanne is about to have a resto. The sun visor is the original visor. Maryanne features in the Truckin Life article. It was painted red at factory but when sold to Eric the  Australian Mack agent, Anderson's painted it Eric fleet color yellow - that is original yellow that was painted about 1956. Eric transported sheep and cattle. Eric sold Maryanne to his nephews Harris family who had a Cat dozer which they worked to dig "tanks" the Queensland word for very big dams in the outback of Queensland on stations (100,000's of acres). Harris's cooked the mack diesel and they put in a Cat motor which remained in the truck until it too was cooked. During the resto a Mack 673 is going into Maryanne. It has the original 38 gears - 3 sticks the joey is at the back of cab, see it in the picture.

I have a copy of Maryanne's history and will post with the Truckin Life article.

Thats a cool old truck I bet if you spoke to the right person they would tell you how to remove that paint with out trash the paint under neath 

I phoned the museum in Melb once asking questions about that type of thing and they were very helpful 

I reckon I know a bloke in Victoria not knowing were you are that could help or point you in the right direction to get it sorted 

What model Cat motor did the B model have looks like would have been fairly smart looking jigger 

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1965 said:

What is a drivers swag?

I asked Paul and this was his answer.   Hippy

A swag is  bed roll a bit of foam some sheets and blankets and all full covered in water proof canvas and goes straight on the ground 

most times nice and warm and you can use the outside canvas cover as tarp to stay out of the rain when your stopped for a while 

Another term for a swag was Matilda hence the poem or song Waltzing Matilda 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terry said:

How did they ever get a cat motor in a B61 ?    terry

I wonder if they cut the firewall and put a dog house in it?

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

On 10/4/2016 at 7:46 PM, harrybarbon said:

This may be an Eric Ballard, Longreach Queensland Australia B model Mack from 1950's.

I have a copy of a Truckin Life article with pictures about Eric, I will scan the story and pictures and post soon.

Picture here is 1 of Eric's b model it was named Maryanne who was Eric's wife. Unfortunately it was attacked with a bucket of paint by a real bastard with no respect for history and trucks (but alas KARMA - he has since gone broke and lost all and more - Maryanne got her revenge) , and now Maryanne is about to have a resto. The sun visor is the original visor. Maryanne features in the Truckin Life article. It was painted red at factory but when sold to Eric the  Australian Mack agent, Anderson's painted it Eric fleet color yellow - that is original yellow that was painted about 1956. Eric transported sheep and cattle. Eric sold Maryanne to his nephews Harris family who had a Cat dozer which they worked to dig "tanks" the Queensland word for very big dams in the outback of Queensland on stations (100,000's of acres). Harris's cooked the mack diesel and they put in a Cat motor which remained in the truck until it too was cooked. During the resto a Mack 673 is going into Maryanne. It has the original 38 gears - 3 sticks the joey is at the back of cab, see it in the picture.

I have a copy of Maryanne's history and will post with the Truckin Life article.

I asked a bloke in the know ( he does sign writing and scroll work on trucks) about removing paint with out trashing whats under neath for ya dunno if its of any interest but this was his reply 

anyway I got farming to do great looking jigger once again 

seeya 

Paul

Paint

well there isn’t much really, depending what and how long its been on there.

Always a little test spot though and that isn’t guaranteed as It could well have had a panel repair at some time.;

Acrylic / multi purpose thinners

Oven cleaner, has to contain caustic.

real hot high pressure wash

Baby Oil.

wet and dry sanding

2 ingredients that are essential to mix with any of the above

Patience

Elbow grease

• Like 1

Ok got the grey matter fired up and found the other picture I was thinking of 

The caption that goes with this photo says the Stuart hwy NT have sent the message out as to who owned these trucks have heard replies but 100% sure answer 

And no it aint single drive drivers changing a flat bag on it 

Will let you know if I find a definate answer 

seeya 

Paul

scan0001.jpg

10 hours ago, Timmyb said:

I think your an Aussie at heart Brocky!

I enjoyed our trip very much!! Would come back again tomorrow if the checkbook would allow it.. GREAT PEOPLE and a fantastic land!!! Would like to rent a camper(caravan) to do the old Hume Hwy / Snowy River. And if you have passenger rail, do the long hauls on it.. A person cannot see much from 30,000 feet in the air, not to mention that airplanes do not stop at junk yards..

Here is a link to the report of our trip which I posted on Just Old Trucks last year, 9 pages with lots of pictures:  http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/84264/Down-Under-Trip?Keywords=Down Under Trip

• Like 1

Brocky