Nice looking, original R Model, getting harder to find everyday.  Whats the plan?  Work with it as is, restore, keep it in storage? 

Being a tandem tractor, and having to pull heavier loads, I would prefer a 9 speed over the 5. 

1 hour ago, tg144 said:

Nice looking, original R Model, getting harder to find everyday.  Whats the plan?  Work with it as is, restore, keep it in storage? 

Being a tandem tractor, and having to pull heavier loads, I would prefer a 9 speed over the 5. 

i know what you mean about the 5 speed. Whats even worse i was told it was a 300 and stupid me i didn't check tag on motor until today and its only a 250. i know where there was a MH with a 350 and 10 speed so if its still there it will make a good parts truck. The cab and frame were rough on the MH.I plan on a quick paint job and putting it to work. Some would say I'm nuts been working for a company driving a 2013 Pete, real nice truck but its just not the same.

11 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Use to help a friend that had a Rmodel & CH; 88 Rmodel 300 5 speed; 91CH 300 9speed; both nice trucks bought from same man used to haul milk

R was geared too high for grain hauling but we worked with it; & heavier; the R would out perform  every time; from red light to red light; going up hills didn't matter

R wasn't turned up either; only 1 I've driven that didn't hale black smoke; just good haze 

20 hours ago, Timmyb said:

So since the truck has a 5 speed, is it the low reving engine?

1750 rpm will only run about 60 mph. It has the 3 leaf rear springs , aluminum rearends, which I don't think I've ever seen. Everything seems lightweight on it and I don't know what ratio the rears are but I wouldn't they would be that low.

i know what you mean about the 5 speed. Whats even worse i was told it was a 300 and stupid me i didn't check tag on motor until today and its only a 250. i know where there was a MH with a 350 and 10 speed so if its still there it will make a good parts truck. The cab and frame were rough on the MH.I plan on a quick paint job and putting it to work. Some would say I'm nuts been working for a company driving a 2013 Pete, real nice truck but its just not the same.

Not nuts at all, I hear where you're coming from. Sometime this year I will pull the trigger and leave my current cushy company job and put my 1985 MH on the road. It's hard to go to work for a big company after being self employed.

20 minutes ago, mackdaddytruckfixer said:

Looking good keep the updates coming. I buy these older trucks and put them to work alot of guys use them as show trucks I like to run a little different. 

Im with you. New stuff doesn't excite me much. I tore my Superliner down over 3 years ago to fix a few things but got carried away with it. This ones getting prettied up a little and going to work. No def, no eld, no problem.

• Like 2

I'm sure, going by everything else you've done , it will be whipped into shape in no time.   

Hopefully everything goes smooth with your new endeavour. 

Edited by 85snowdog

Keith 

12 minutes ago, 85snowdog said:

I'm sure, going by everything else you've done , it will be whipped into shape in no time.   I kinda wish I knew you were looking for an R. I would have talked to you about my 1988. 

Hopefully everything goes smooth with your new endeavour. 

Thanks. Im just trying to get it to look half decent.

Edited by keg1
  • Like 1