Tire question

seyser

The tires on my B61 are junk and Im upgrading to the 22.5 size. I found a used set of Kumho 11r 22.5 non recaps all 8 matching drives with 25% tread. The guy wants $900 for them. Is this a fair price? My truck wont see many miles as its just a hobby truck any tires I put on it will go bad with age far before I wear the tread off.

-Jeremy

Sounds pretty fair, is that 25% of the cost of new tyres?

I've seen a few posts about tyre prices over there in the states, and I think your paying too much for them!

Anyway, you could always put a regroover on them tyres to give you a few more mm of tread.

• Like 1

$900 sounds like a lot for some mostly worn out tires but for your use it may not be too bad. 25% of what they cost new would be closer to $700 (I think the last 11r-22.5 tires I bought new were around $350 a piece but I got a pretty good deal on them).

If I were running the truck every day, I wouldn't even think about putting 25% tires on it.

• Like 1

That is just over $100 per tire I would look for something different for that kind of money you should be able to find at least 50% or better. Also look how old they are by the dot stamp code, if they are more than 6 years old I know some places around here check the age and don't want the casing for a recapping.

Check the tread depth minimum 2/32nds for drives and 4/32 for steers dot specs. Maybe they have more tread than "25%"

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

those casings should be regroovable , so for a minimal charge you could have some good tires that would last a long time, and yes 900 for 8 tires of virgin casings sounds good to me but I'm used to buying 11r24.5 I know the low pro 22.5 are worth about 25 bucks a casing

Rerun truck tires shows the the Kumho 11.5R22.5 Drives start out with 10/32 thread depth, maybe he means 25% wear.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I just priced new Michelin drives today. $615 a tire for 16 ply xdn2. I'm going to try out Hankook DL12's instead. $412 a piece for 16 ply. But for how much you're going to run your truck I'd get these. http://m.ebay.com/itm/8-TIRES-11R22-5-ROAD-WARRIOR-NEW-DRIVE-TIRES-BRAND-16-PLY-146-143M-/121754736316?nav=SEARCH I run these on my grain truck that only sees 10,000 miles a year and they are great. They have some better tread patterns too for the same price.

• Like 1

My local dealer has caps for $250 each and all 8 would be matching cases. Truck would look great with knee deep rubber but I just dont think I need to spend that much on tires that will see so few miles.

Might just check into the Kumho's and see if the guy is willing to deal.

Biggest expense besides the truck was putting 6 new Yoko radials on mine when I bought the truck. $1800. I never thought 14 yr later I'd still have it and only because of the date codes I put two new Yoko's on the front this past spring. Tons of tread, but just didn't feel safe. Only have maybe 50K miles on them. Has near doubled in cost. $800~ for two mounted.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

They offer 4 tyres only for those 1,400, not 8.

Tubes and liners extra.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The tires on my B61 are junk and Im upgrading to the 22.5 size. I found a used set of Kumho 11r 22.5 non recaps all 8 matching drives with 25% tread. The guy wants $900 for them. Is this a fair price? My truck wont see many miles as its just a hobby truck any tires I put on it will go bad with age far before I wear the tread off.

-Jeremy

In my neck of the woods it would be, Casings that will cap bring around $115.00 to buy them with a cap on them, of course if you already own some and a tire capping co. wants them to put a cap on for resale, yours are only worth $60 bucks apiece. A recapped 16ply traction tire and casing around here will cost a bit more than $300.00, which is what most any NEW tire cost before the oil prices spiked to $140.00 a barrel the first time... now it's $40.00 a barrel and tires are STILL double...gotta love it :banana:

• Like 1