B-73 Restoration

On 12/30/2018 at 5:49 AM, mattb73lt said:

No, I bought it years ago. Just machined the footsteps and mounting holes from the remnants of the original. Took a little ingenuity to support it while working on it. Then I rebuffed it.

Was it a bumper for a B-model or any other one you found with the dimentions matched?

Looks excellent. Nothing compares to polished stainless steel.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

6 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Was it a bumper for a B-model or any other one you found with the dimentions matched?

Looks excellent. Nothing compares to polished stainless steel.

I bought it from Doug Fetterly about 16+ years ago. He makes and markets repro steel and stainless B model bumpers.

19 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

I bought it from Doug Fetterly about 16+ years ago. He makes and markets repro steel and stainless B model bumpers.

Thank you for the info. I don't have a B-model but will keep it in my mind.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:22 PM, mattb73lt said:

FYI, Doug no longer makes the stainless bumpers, just steel. I bought a steel one and the stainless grill guard  two years ago for my B755. He said he will no longer make the stainless bumpers because they scratch too easy and are really hard to make because of that.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

23 hours ago, MACKTRUCKS4 said:

FYI, Doug no longer makes the stainless bumpers, just steel. I bought a steel one and the stainless grill guard  two years ago for my B755. He said he will no longer make the stainless bumpers because they scratch too easy and are really hard to make because of that.

Good thing I didn’t mess it up while machining it up then! I have one of his steel ones on my B-42. They do look nice.

Looks like the things are doing cool. Would like to see the cowl patch pieces.

Observing your progress I even started crawling over my military Mack cab with a measure band and a caliper to figure out which parts I would be able to order fabricated. The cab has many things in common with your one being basically a L-model cab. But since it's an open one the rocker channels were made different. Consit of lower and upper panels. Your cab has the upper ones only.

58 minutes ago, h67st said:

When you say "new" roof, is it from a donor cab?

Yes, it was salvaged from a fire truck a friend gave me. The cab was rough, but I carefully dissected it and ended up with some better pieces or at least patterns to make replacements.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the reference pictures. I see your story is moving along. Glad to observe the pogress.

Those side cowl panels also present on my cab. But of easier style having no vents. So the plan is to order them completely new. The issue seem the front and rear edges have double bend with small distance between. Locally the most of shops have limitation on the minimal distance between two bends. So my hope is on personal egeunity or just luck. So far I prepair to open the can of warms closer to the summer.

3 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Thank you for the reference pictures. I see your story is moving along. Glad to observe the pogress.

Those side cowl panels also present on my cab. But of easier style having no vents. So the plan is to order them completely new. The issue seem the front and rear edges have double bend with small distance between. Locally the most of shops have limitation on the minimal distance between two bends. So my hope is on personal egeunity or just luck. So far I prepair to open the can of warms closer to the summer.

Ok, glad these are helping you. There is a small step on the door side of the panel, where the door closes flush to it. Having no cowl vent door, it would be a lot easier to fabricate the whole panel. I just roughed out the passenger side, today. It was a little rougher than the other and required three sides of it to be repaired. I over lapped the repair panels over the damaged areas. They're now trimmed, fitted and tacked together. I'll finish welding this on Monday. 

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

• Like 2

Definitely you don't need any rust as a structure element. So the way to go!

Don't forget to catch dry weather on the back run. A light freeze is the best for the season.

7 minutes ago, terry said:

love that P/U haven't seen one of those for a long long time!! that one might be a little newer that I was thing of, what year? seems we had some of those in Viet Nam.    terry👍👍:MackLogo: good luck on the blaster!!

Gee I'm jealous you got Kaisers. All we got to use was Mutts and Mules

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE