B-73 Restoration

I think most of the painting inside is for rust control on engines/machines that may sit for long periods of time.  A daily driver will not see any advantage.

I've heard it helps with oil drain back?  I think that is an old wives tail.  Once an engine is running, everything is coated and the oil will drain back fine no matter what.  To each there own I suppose.

Like any other paint, it needs put on properly or it could fail and come off.  That won't help anything!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I was told the painting of castings was to stop oil seeping thru possible porous spots on castings

This was on big industrial gearboxes, is in drives maybe 4 feet high

I assumed it was correct what I was told

However after reading freight trains comments I am wondering if I was fed a line as young gullible person

The reason I say this because the inside of my Macks fuek tanks are painted with red stuff like the block 

That block looks amazing, what is this dremel flexible head wire wheel doohickie mentioned, it does a impressive job as did the hand holding the dremel thingy 

Paul

Thanks for all the info on the dremel

Do wrap a bit of tine around the crank journals a hold them on with a hose clamp incase you slip with tool while cleaning it up

Would be a shame to send it back to the machine shop

Im sure well over whats going on and Im no expert motor builder,  not even a amature one really 

Lathe is just big enough, it is amazing the way we use tools we possibly never thought we would of 

Great work and thanks for the up dates

Paul

I wonder how did you put the shaft onto the lathe? That thing is supposed to be damn heavy. We have to carry Mack cranks by two men and when I took the last one off a block I just hooked a chain hoist to it. 

The final result of the cleaning looks tasty. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

3 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

I wonder how did you put the shaft onto the lathe? That thing is supposed to be damn heavy. We have to carry Mack cranks by two men and when I took the last one off a block I just hooked a chain hoist to it. 

The final result of the cleaning looks tasty. 

Just used my engine hoist and a two short straps to get it on there. And it is damn heavy!!

3 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

Just used my engine hoist and a two short straps to get it on there. And it is damn heavy!!

And still not easy task if nobody's helping out from aside :thumb:

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

As time goes on everything gets worse I was going to do brakes on the old lady’s explorer… but I don’t even know anyone around here that turns rotors these day I just sent it to our trusted repair shop I remember years ago they would acid dip all machine parts before they even started 

• 2 weeks later...

I did not have a good week with this engine last week. After getting the crank cleaned up they way I wanted it I was convinced the shop I went to did not do any polishing to it. Close inspection revealed that the journals appeared to be in the same condition as when I dropped it off. I was able to get Rocky to come to the shop last Wednesday to look it over with me. We remeasured every journal in four spots and all were within .0008" to .0003" of the undercut it had been given during its last rebuild and well within tolerances for heavy polishing. The week prior I contacted a guy I worked for in high school and sent him pictures of areas I had concern with.  He was of the same opinion as Rocky, that it hadn't been polished. Rocky wasn't happy with any of this either and this was from a shop he'd recommended. He told me he felt bad about sending me there and wasn't comfortable putting this crank into the engine. I had my reservations of this particular shop and voiced them to Rocky before anything left my shop. About the time I contacted my old boss I was shopping for another place to go to. I received several recommendations. I did talk to Tom from Mahoney & Son in NH that week, too. He strongly recommended the shop they go to in Malden, MA. So last Thursday I loaded up the B42 with both crankshafts and hit the road early to make my way through Boston to Malden. Friday, I went to the shop in Hamden and removed the two sets of heads and parts I had there and brought them to Malden as well. The conversation at that shop was not pleasant, but I was professional and adamant that I was through doing business there. As I was leaving the owner did hand me back $1K in cash for the work he didn't complete. Luckily, he hadn't assembled the new parts into the heads before I removed them.

So some set backs and time lost at this shop, but I want the work I'm paying for done right. I don't want to have to do this again. I should've gone with my gut instinct and stayed away from this shop. It is getting so hard to find a reputable shop nowadays in my area. The new shop is a Cummins and Perkins Certified shop and the owner took me on a tour when I arrived. It's also about a two hour ride from me. Driving the B42 through Boston on I90 was a trip and a half. The WAZE app on my phone was my navigator there and extremely helpful. On the way back I stopped in Framingham to have lunch with my brother. That rarely happens due to our jobs and the last time we did, I was still a Trooper.. He's a civil engineer for JF White Construction and has done a lot of bridge, tunnel and rail work in his career around Boston. He was the project engineer on the Bunker Hill cable-stay bridge during it's construction. I had to break his balls that I was lucky to cross it in the Mack without it crashing down. Still moving forward after this hiccup.

• Like 1