Mack Moving Headquarters, Other Facilities To North Carolina

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning Call

Took a while to happen.

Anyone need an engineer? I'll be looking for a new job :D

I'M VEY SORRY TO HEAR THAT 3P.........NOW I REALY HATE THOSE EUROTRASHLANDERS. THEY'RE GONNA #*!? UP THE BEST TRUCK MAKER ON THE PLANET..and for what? GOD BLESS EVERY TRUE MACK EMPLOYEE AND MAY HE DAMN volvo.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

I'll try to sumarize what I know compared to what the papers are saying. I'll share more as I learn more.

The CHU, CXU will move to Macungie from the Volvo New River Valley plant. They expect job losses at NRV. Macungie will add some new jobs. The Mack in NRV has not work so good. Every year someting changes. Last year the line was changed so that Macks and Volvo's ran on the same line.

Mack World Headquaters jobs will move to Volvo HQ in Greensboro NC early 2009. They say empolyees will be able to transfer. WHQ employees include Parts, Service, Customer Satisfaction and administrative jobs along with a bunch of other stuff. Customer Engineering which works the special orders is also located in WHQ. They will move to the current Test Center in Allentown. We are told WHQ will be sold once everyone is out. The Test Center will be a "welcome center" for customers to see new trucks.

The Test Center jobs which is Mack Product Development (engineering, testing, design) will move to Greensboro after we deliver the new US10 truck (early 2010). We are told we have the option to move to Greensboro. The question I have is to what job will be available? Volvo has engineers that do similar work on the Volvo that can just take it on for Macks.

Today an announcemnt was made of who will be in charge of the move out of Allentown. Coincidently it is the same guy who tried to shut down Allentown a few years ago. When he was put in charge the Allentown staff was cut by close to half.

Most of the Mack knowledge in Allentown will be lost since most people will not relocate. 10-20% of people transfer when employeers move. Alot of Mack employees are second generation and many have other family members employed by Mack.

I've also heard (rumor) Volvo is expanding the Bus plant in Mexico.

Glad I got out of trucking when I did, with the high cost of fuel and now the slow decline of Mack. Reminds me of the fall of the Roman Empire.....slowly they fell until the huns at the gate....and then the dark ages. Are we on the edge of the dark ages of the vulva "oops excuse me" volvo dark ages. F@#$ vulva :angry:

well this is just plane shit.. takeing a local USA place of history and trashing it in the night as to think that no one wuld care.

3P Im sorry to hear of you situation and please do share this with the rest of the diehards at your location that we all here (I think I can speak for most) dont like the out look volvo is giving you and the Mack brand.

Best of luck to you.

Trent

well this is just plane shit.. takeing a local USA place of history and trashing it in the night as to think that no one wuld care.

3P Im sorry to hear of you situation and please do share this with the rest of the diehards at your location that we all here (I think I can speak for most) dont like the out look volvo is giving you and the Mack brand.

Best of luck to you.

Trent

AMEN brother you speak the truth and according to the bible the truth shall set you free. f vulvo and the horse that drug it in the door. 3P PLEASE LET OUR MACK guys and galls know that we stand by them . BARRY, 3P would a patition help?????? If so let us know. :angry: cause this is bull sh#t. no doubt about it....

Edited by mackdaddy1911a1

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

It doesn't make sense that they move the highway line to Macungie. I purchased a new 08 Mack Pinnacle and it is the same frame/crossmembers as a Volvo and I was told that is why the were built on the same line. At Macungie they build the true Mack lineup. In fact I could not even order my new 08 with Mack tranny or rears as I was told that only the Macungie built trucks got that option. Sooooooooooooo does that really mean the end of the highway line of Mack soon? Should a bought a KW!!

One would think that a company like Volvo that is a guest in this country would no better than to mess with our traditions. With the move of the main office to Volvo North America HQ in North Carolina, it's obvious that future Macks will be just Volvos with a bulldog on the hood... And the bulldog will probably be made in China.

It doesn't make sense that they move the highway line to Macungie. I purchased a new 08 Mack Pinnacle and it is the same frame/crossmembers as a Volvo and I was told that is why the were built on the same line. At Macungie they build the true Mack lineup. In fact I could not even order my new 08 with Mack tranny or rears as I was told that only the Macungie built trucks got that option. Sooooooooooooo does that really mean the end of the highway line of Mack soon? Should a bought a KW!!

Anyway I made this coment in Barrys good or bad for mack pole last year I must be a fortune teller!

I know this is a bit late and an old post but ,I have to say that the Volvo engine does look to be a decent power plant Mack guy!THIS IS THE ONLY UPSIDE TO MY COMENTS.

Having said that MackGuy ,I have worked, on , for and around Mack trucks for most of my working life 30 years OR SO ,as well as the volvo stuff fords kw PETES and the rest to some degree!The truck we sell now is a Volvo with a mack cab! DON'T KID US, THE volvo people have KEPT NONE, of the Good mack IDEAS ,NOT ONE! THE dog on the hood and the cab is all thats left.You take the cab off the frame its a volvo frame ,engine and abunch of jobber parts. SORRY its for the most part the truth I was once a proud mack guy now I work on Volvo stuff ,I have less kinder words for it but won't use it here!These Guys could have at least kept some of the simple Ideas and used them`NOT ONE did they keep! SO FAR ONLY THING I SEE that I MILDLY like is the engine IMPRESS me with some good old simple MACK stuff ont the rest of the truck ! Mack diffs mack trans mack built tough frames suspention yada yada!

Sorry had to rant!

The cab and hood were all thats left in that post!

The volvo cab is next the hood to follow!The dog will stay on the hood with a slash thru the grille

then they will shoot the dog!

Sven will now be happy the dog is dead!

You have now been asimulated By Sven and Olley

The estamated time of life for the dog on the hood you ask? 2015 a normal dogs life 10-15 years Sven and Olley will have owned the dog for 14.

Yes the Mack will soon be just another model of Volvo just like Autocar and rest!

3p I hope they keep the mack guys and give some of the volvo dudes the boot but I highly doubt it!

Sorry to hear about the news 3P and all the other personnel in Allentown also. Sounds like the people that transfer will just mix into the volvo corporate soup down in NC. Keep your heads up I was able to find a good job at 57 years old after being let go. It won't be easy but hang in there. Maybee it will be a good thing for Mack separating out of NRV. They may be able to keep the Mack identity a little longer. Maybee they are getting ready to spin Mack off. You never know with these last minute announcements. Again good luck to all involved. It can only get better from here. I'll bet the Mack brothers are spinning at 2100 rpm in their graves. :(

Maybee they are getting ready to spin Mack off.

There's nothing left to spin off.

If another company bought the Mack brand now they would have to totally re engineer everything from the ground up to eliminate all the V*lv* parts.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

If Mack was spun off, Volvo would probably try to get a long term engine supply contract in the deal. That might get them into trouble with the antitrust laws, so they'd have to offer other engine options... I'm sure Cummins would be happy to engineer an installation for every Mack model!

If Mack was spun off, Volvo would probably try to get a long term engine supply contract in the deal. That might get them into trouble with the antitrust laws, so they'd have to offer other engine options... I'm sure Cummins would be happy to engineer an installation for every Mack model!

There aint nothin left on the thing thats mack now anyway No one would want it!

the only thing on the truck now that is truly mack is the cab + Hood!You can still get the diffs and trans but for how long who knows.The hydralic clutch linkage to be added shortly is next!We still got a cable something that works and is adjustable ,We can't have that!