The Bandit!

vision386

I guess Burt Reynolds has hit some hard times financially (go figure) but a read today that one of the original 1977 Trans Ams owned by him,given to him after the movie, went for $480,000 at auction this past weekend! Hard to believe that movie is 35 years old already! 480K is WAY more then the Bandit,Snowman,and Buford T. Justice had wrapped up in car,KW,truck-trailer AND load of Coors in 77' I couldn't get the linky thing to work,but I'm sure somebody can post the article on Yahoo news?......................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

note of little interest. Burt's house is just down the road from here. can't see it from the road, have to be on the water, but you can see the gate at the driveway

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Well sumbitch, I had no idea things were so bad for Bert! ...........I seen him on Fremont Street in Las Vegas last week him and Beuford hanging out , and posing for pics. Booth looked kinda rough but I figured with out make up and another 35 years ....... well I just figured they were lucky to be above ground.

post-15818-0-07042900-1418695811_thumb.j

post-15818-3375226_thumb.jpg

I also heard the cars were crushed, read somewhere they were given 4 or 5 , 6.6 litre Ta's for the movie , a few automatics and a few standards. also read somewhere that one of the producers said by the time they finished filming, they barely could keep one going with parts from the others to finish filming cause they were so beat by then.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I also heard the cars were crushed, read somewhere they were given 4 or 5 , 6.6 litre Ta's for the movie , a few automatics and a few standards. also read somewhere that one of the producers said by the time they finished filming, they barely could keep one going with parts from the others to finish filming cause they were so beat by then.

i heard that as well. i think the one that was destroyed in the bridge jump had a Chevy motor in it.

post-147-0-01354300-1418765349_thumb.jpgThere was a company that took several T/A's (I think around 50) and modified them. They each had their own car number on the outside. Engines were tuned up in H/P. Special markings like lower front fenders graphics, seats, carpeting, and I think the gas cap door. If I remember right, they bought the rights to use the Bandit name. I had a 1981 Turbo T/A and I really loved that car. That is the only car I regret selling. It was not a Bandit but it was black with the gold interior, gold bird on the hood. You are correct on the chevy motor for the bridge jump. They needed more h/p to make the car get enough speed to make the jump.

http://image.hotrod.com/f/featuredvehicles/9288754+w799+h499+cr1+ar0/hrdp_0708_04_z%2B1977_pontiac_firebird_trans_am_bandit_edition%2Binterior.jpg

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

That be "Year One". The restoration people. I remember them talking about it a few years back.

http://ghostworks.yearone.com/the-burt-reynolds-edition-trans-am/

I like the original ones better.

Buddy in college had a 78 TA, white/red interior, 400/auto. It was his parents car growing up. He did alot of restoration work during college. He was in automotive class so he did the motor and then pulled the nose and did the front end. I still like them, would own one in a heartbeat. Have to be a 4spd car though.

The turbo cars? Ugh, with those goofy lights under the cowl scoop. Had to have a light come on to tell you that it was ON BOOST....cause you surely couldn't feel it LOL!!! Those 301 Olds motors......not my cup of tea.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The car that was sold at auction was Burt's personal car. There were only 3 T/A's provided by GM for the original movie and all 3 were either destroyed durning filming or were not worth repairing by the end of filming. The bridge jump was done early in produciton & that car was destroyed filming the sequence and was then used as a parts car to keep the other two running for the remainder of production. There is a really good interview with Hal Needham about the filming of the orginal movie that I have on DVD which is where I got this info about the movie cars. Ironically GM was relunctant to be involved in a movie with such highway hijix prior to the release of the movie but afterwards the movie was credited with causing the hugh sales numbers of Pontiac's Trans Am.

Personally, I have owned two 1978 T/A's. One black with an automatic & one gold with a 4 speed. Both VERY fun to drive.

I'm with Freightrain,wouldn't mind having one IF it was the 6.6 400 Pontiac/4-speed. I had a buddy in high school had a nice one,but ended up wrapping around a tree on a rainy night,too much car for a teenager!.............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.