Finally did it. I now own a Mack.

Today's progress:

1. The new windshield and rubber leaked, so I pulled out the spline and squirted goop under the rubber. Then I put the spline back in (easy to do with WD40 lubing things up). It looks good and I'll bet it won't leak any more.

2. Installed door hinge covers that I bought from Roser a short while back. After cleaning them up with a wire brush attachment on my hand-held grinder, I primed and painted them. Primed and painted the screws, too. The covers and fasteners look good, too.

3. Installed a mud flap on the driver's side in between the battery box and rear axle to cut down on stuff hitting the back of the cab and battery box. Passenger side will come tomorrow (hopefully).

4. The actuating arm (connecting arm) that operates the passenger side wiper was missing its bushing, so we made one out of brake air line fittings because the wiper shaft would fit the hollow inside. We had to hack saw off most of each (the bolt and nut portions) to make it thin enough to fit on the shaft and still allow the clip to fit on the end of the shaft, holding the arm in place.

It was a very profitable day. One by one the items on the "finish up 'Mater" list are getting done.

post-18831-0-11583300-1451523496_thumb.j

post-18831-0-46435800-1451523507_thumb.j

post-18831-0-10108200-1451523518_thumb.j

Today's progress:

1. Installed the wiper actuating arm (under the dash).

2. Installed the wipers themselves and adjusted them. I now have functional wipers.

3. Installed a manual shut-off valve on the air filler for the air tank. This way, I can turn air on or off easily while charging the tanks from an outside air compressor.

post-18831-0-72079400-1451957481_thumb.j

post-18831-0-41252300-1451957494_thumb.j

post-18831-0-61496800-1451957512_thumb.j

You're still working on that truck? I would have quit on it long ago and torn something else apart that I would never put back together. I would have put rainex on the windshield. It's way easier than fixing the wipers. Or maybe just hoped it wouldn't rain. Mike.

• Like 2

You're still working on that truck? I would have quit on it long ago and torn something else apart that I would never put back together. I would have put rainex on the windshield. It's way easier than fixing the wipers. Or maybe just hoped it wouldn't rain. Mike.

Heheheh. It's just the way I operate.

BTW, here are the remaining items on the list:

1. Fix the radiator shutter issue

2. Fix the power steering issue (sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't)

3. Install Maxis (spring brakes)

4. Fix/replace brake light sensor switch

5. Paint rear wheels

6. Install hose from heater to defroster

7. Install glove box insert

Then the truck is done. :)

• Like 1

Not much left on your list anymore.

Nope. Getting close to being done.

BTW, I went back to the garage tonight to finish up the second set of spokes. Now everything on the right side is painted (spokes, wheels, clamps, and nuts). Sometime tomorrow I'd like to mount the wheels back on and then start working on the left side to finish off all the painting.

• 3 weeks later...

A little over one year since I cleaned out the dirt and muck from the primary fuel filter and replaced the secondary fuel filter cartridge (and got all the muck out of that cannister too), I replaced the cartridge again and the cannister was pretty darn clean.

'Mater should be good-to-go fuel-wise from now on. I've also been using fuel treatment as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...