Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Today's progress:

1. The new windshield and rubber leaked, so I pulled out the spline and squirted goop under the rubber. Then I put the spline back in (easy to do with WD40 lubing things up). It looks good and I'll bet it won't leak any more.

2. Installed door hinge covers that I bought from Roser a short while back. After cleaning them up with a wire brush attachment on my hand-held grinder, I primed and painted them. Primed and painted the screws, too. The covers and fasteners look good, too.

3. Installed a mud flap on the driver's side in between the battery box and rear axle to cut down on stuff hitting the back of the cab and battery box. Passenger side will come tomorrow (hopefully).

4. The actuating arm (connecting arm) that operates the passenger side wiper was missing its bushing, so we made one out of brake air line fittings because the wiper shaft would fit the hollow inside. We had to hack saw off most of each (the bolt and nut portions) to make it thin enough to fit on the shaft and still allow the clip to fit on the end of the shaft, holding the arm in place.

It was a very profitable day. One by one the items on the "finish up 'Mater" list are getting done.

post-18831-0-11583300-1451523496_thumb.j

post-18831-0-46435800-1451523507_thumb.j

post-18831-0-10108200-1451523518_thumb.j

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's progress: 1. Repaired passenger side mirror. Installed it on the truck. 2. Finished repairing the driver's side door panel. Installed it. Took it out for a short run. Video will be forthcoming

I present to you the ballistic missile submari...err...'Mater. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlSa2ErtExI&feature=youtu.be There were 133 days between the first photo on day one until today.

Posted Images

Today's progress:

1. Installed the wiper actuating arm (under the dash).

2. Installed the wipers themselves and adjusted them. I now have functional wipers.

3. Installed a manual shut-off valve on the air filler for the air tank. This way, I can turn air on or off easily while charging the tanks from an outside air compressor.

post-18831-0-72079400-1451957481_thumb.j

post-18831-0-41252300-1451957494_thumb.j

post-18831-0-61496800-1451957512_thumb.j

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're still working on that truck? I would have quit on it long ago and torn something else apart that I would never put back together. I would have put rainex on the windshield. It's way easier than fixing the wipers. Or maybe just hoped it wouldn't rain. Mike.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You're still working on that truck? I would have quit on it long ago and torn something else apart that I would never put back together. I would have put rainex on the windshield. It's way easier than fixing the wipers. Or maybe just hoped it wouldn't rain. Mike.

Heheheh. It's just the way I operate.

BTW, here are the remaining items on the list:

1. Fix the radiator shutter issue

2. Fix the power steering issue (sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't)

3. Install Maxis (spring brakes)

4. Fix/replace brake light sensor switch

5. Paint rear wheels

6. Install hose from heater to defroster

7. Install glove box insert

Then the truck is done. :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I changed the oil and oil filter and pulled all the rear wheels off the right side of the truck. Today I cleaned, primed, and painted the wheels, clamps, and nuts. Tomorrow, I plan on cleaning the right rear spokes and priming and painting them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much left on your list anymore.

Nope. Getting close to being done.

BTW, I went back to the garage tonight to finish up the second set of spokes. Now everything on the right side is painted (spokes, wheels, clamps, and nuts). Sometime tomorrow I'd like to mount the wheels back on and then start working on the left side to finish off all the painting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

A little over one year since I cleaned out the dirt and muck from the primary fuel filter and replaced the secondary fuel filter cartridge (and got all the muck out of that cannister too), I replaced the cartridge again and the cannister was pretty darn clean.

'Mater should be good-to-go fuel-wise from now on. I've also been using fuel treatment as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2/19/2020 at 1:26 PM, ff6cav said:

Now that it's been a few years, how is the Napa paint holding up?

Could try a PM to W-G because he hasn't been on for about a year.  The PM should send a note to his regular email.

  • Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the memory serves he got a serious engine issue. So probably no thriumphal run any further since. Good if I'm wrong.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...