tender box in the making

gearhead204

just had another brush/timber fire take off at 3pm today about 8 miles due east of me, in less than a hour it had consumed over 300 acres, nice steady wind blowing it northeast not a lot of people threatened but lots of animals both wild and domestic. I guess its time to get the dozer checked out and fluids toped off. damn fire season started 3 weeks early this year, I just a little behind this year.

• 11 months later...

Well 2015 looks about the same as last year except about 3 weeks earler! under extreme fire weather watch for the next few days, 100+ daytime highs and low 70's for overnight temps, and dry lightning forecasted for sun. & mon. We're picking cherrys now and its been 95F by lunch time, so were starting at 4:30 am to beat the heat ( cherrys divorce their stems easely when the fruit temp gets above 80f) already had our first brush fire last week started by a careless smoker, about 1.5 acre on a hillside just up the road from me. The state wasted no time sending resources our way, i was the first on scene about 1/4 acre at that time i arrived the next thing i knew, i had a rotor and several hand crews on scene (was glad to see the rotor) the hand crew watching me work not so much!

I guess after the state got caught not promptly fighting fire last year and they want to change their public image. had 6 forest circus crews and about the same from the D.N.R. I was glad to see them hand trail it, after we got it knocked down, the sumack shrubs and a chain saw dont mix well and i didnt have the temper at that time to deal with seeing how many times an hour i could put a saw chain back on!

Sorry to ramble, but I'm afraid we will be in the national news again! the govoner just anounced a state wide burn ban and he is training up the national guard for more firefighters.

post-15818-0-31468500-1435378080_thumb.j

well latest forecast calls for "abundent dry lightning" tomorrow afternoon thru monday humidity is arround 13% and gusty winds forecast as well, its 9.15 pm here now and still 98f down from 106f dew point is at 44f and our overnight low is forecast in the mid 70's I'M GETTING F---ING NERVOUS! oh and the 10 day forecast dont show a day below 95f.

We had 2 bad wild fires out here in the Pine Barrens, small compared to what you have but just as scarey. Hope you come out O.K.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

As I wrote yesterdays story we had a cell come threw just to the north of us between the u.s. and b.c. with about 3 hours worth of sky watching! lots of cloud to ground strikes, the hellicopter was flying water drops this afternoon. The bulk of these strikes were out of our district, and are being delt with. more weather predicted for tonight!

sweet cherrys, if you go to the store and grab some "Washington cherrys" you may get some of mine! i grow Rainers, tietons, skeenas,and lapins and if you want some rainers i will let you pick all you want! between the 1.9 inches of rain 3 weeks ago and several diffrent wind storms i cant pick them for market ( too much cullage) so i have about 7 tons that will rot on the stem, its too bad i cant because they have great size,firmness and color. the sad part is they look better than what you see in the store, as far as marks and bruses!

I got a jar of maraschino (sp) cherries. They the rejects?

Saw that it is beginning to happen in Washington. Again-be careful, be safe

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Brocky: no those arn't mine! mine would say domex marketing or monson fruit.but are most likely from the same valley (the okanogan) as mine are grown in.

Hatcity: yep them candied things are just that! if you seen the national news the fruit packing warehouse fire with the exploding propane and ammonia tanks is co-ownen with the place that packs my fruit in seleah, so i dont know whats going to happen there yet, they should be packing cherrys but the dispatcher said today that my fruit was going to seleah because of the fire, so i still dont know if washington cherry growers was damaged or not ( its next door to blue bird)the warehouse that is burning the fire that is belived to have stated was a brush fire that is over 3000 acres and burned at least 28 homes

also if you want to make your own maraschino cherrys i have between 7-10 tons of canidates that you can experment on...........u-pick!

for any one else that wants info search [sleepy hollow fire] sorry i dont know how to do the linky thing!

• Like 1

http://www.weather.com/safety/wildfires/news/fire-wenatchee-washington

Terrible!!! But better property than lives. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

also if you want to make your own maraschino cherrys i have between 7-10 tons of canidates that you can experment on...........u-pick!

Hmmmmmmm.....Otherdog has pretty good luck stillin' hot sauce outta peppers........Maybe he could cook us up a batch of BMT Cherry Moonshine????

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Yardo hey i think your on to something! that thought never crossed my peanut brain, wish you would have brought that up sooner, Slpwklr was in the state last weekend and i could have sent a ton or two with him. I finished picking my other cherrys today !!!! only had two small thunder storms disrupt our morning, got just wet enough to need to dry the trees using the fan on the speed sprayer, glad that it waited till my last day and didnt hit last week.

Hmmmmmmm.....Otherdog has pretty good luck stillin' hot sauce outta peppers........Maybe he could cook us up a batch of BMT Cherry Moonshine????

I would try that. I saved a Roanoke paper last week that had a recipe for some kind of cherries soaked in some kind of liquor that George Washington supposedly made. I forgot what it was called...and forgot what I did with the recipe.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Ok, so it's done. Now we need a gigantic still to drop off at OD's house. Then we'll need slpwlkr or Mack mhe9 or one of the other usual suspects to head out to gearhead's place and pick up a few tons of cherries.......Everyone pitch in a few bucks for raw materials, make checks payable to "OtherDog's Bar/Grill & Brass Pole-a-Torium."

Hey.....I just had another screwed up....stupid....moronic thought..dumbass idea.....no I mean wonderful proposal........We could make cherry wine.....Get the winfall wimmin to stomp the cherries in their bare feet in a big teak vat!!! We could sell tickets. Farmer52 would pay a premium for front-row seats for a redhead stomping on cherries while she was wearing hose......

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

we,ve got a 6000 gal water bomber sitting on the lake here doing nothing. the MARTIN MARS

That's an impressive plane, saw a video on it a few years ago. Shouldn't that plane be headed to the fire north of me in Canada? Sure's been smokey 'round here last few days with the wind blowin out of the north.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.