tender box in the making

gearhead204

thanks B.C. very impressive tanker! just wished our lame ass goverment would put some of these together so we didnt have to demend on our friends to the north, thankfully they fly better than the motorhome driving bunch drive LOL!

actually...

your gubbermint finally got off their asses and are building up the heavy airtanker fleet again.... private contractors operate the DC10s; some DC9's & Avro146's started up this year... but to add to the C130's of the National Guard with slip in tanks there is a fleet of up to 10 former Coast Guard C130's being converted to full airtankers, and I just read parts from the bankrupt Evergreen 747-100 will be used to build a newer 747-400 tanker...

up north we just have the L188 Electras, Convair 580's and the Canadair CL415.

someone figured out the fires are getting bigger and the floatplanes and choppers just can't put down the volume the heavy machines can...

stay safe

BC Mack

• Like 1

just a note to let you guys know i'm still here! but things are getting ugly!!!! just got in the house helping mobilize equipment . just got done getting a d7 on a lowboy to go to omak the city is threatened strong northwest winds reversed several fires (wind had been out of the south) fire has jumped hwy 97 and heading south we lost long distance calling,cell phones and 911 so fire districts are working as dispatch centers for emergency calls. we have red flag warnings for the next 3 days for wind and low humidity oh and the winds are susposed to keep changing directions. all logging and heavy construction shut down so equipment can be used for fire use. right now so far im in the doughnut hole all fires are a safe distance from the ranch and my cattle pastures. thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

Randy

I just checked the atlas.. Rob is in Tonasket on US 97, north east of this area by an airline of about 25 miles.

Hopefully he is still all right.. Our prayers are with the familys of the fallen fire fighters as well as the whole region.

Brocky

• Like 1

Brocky

Guys I still here, the deaths were in a fire 3 fires west of me, bad deal killed 3 burnt a 4th. been on the dozer for 16 hours then got toned out with the tender, tonasket was threatned (evacuated) wind shifted and so far so good there. then toned to a false alarm 25 miles from tonasket in our dist. (loomis) tonasket is ok for now so i'm going to catcha nap and see what happens in the am. shits not good here, my doughnut hole is getting smaller. if we get past the forecasted high winds ( with mid day reversal ) our themp will drop 15 degrees and humidity should climb above 20%. post more when i can gearhead

dunno about the report but it was on the telly last night in north Queensland Australia

Australia has sent a plane load of fire men to help (dunno how big the plane load is could be 3 or 300) I hope the fire is under control before they get there

Stay safe everyone involved

Paul

• Like 1

well today was spent giving the national guard boys directions on where to find rural homes in our area to give level 2 (fire is close get the stuff you want packed and be ready to leave)notices too. and preping areas for firefighters to find water fills and meeting with emergancy management folks. It dont look like we are going to avoid the fire in our fire dist. its 9 miles southof us now it moved 3+ miles yesterday but very little today so far but forecasted for more south winds tomarrow the fire split last night so we now have 2 fronts to worry about.

thats all i have for now, gearhead

Thanks for the post, i talked with e.o.c. yesterday and they said they would be in place by the end of the week,in the a.m. im going over to the west flank of the fire to the cat line to help a buddy of mine get his track chain back on after breaking a pin. Then source new track chain for him to see how fast we can swap out for new.

spent yesterday changing out tracks on a d5h started about 2pm (after our parts run to western washingtion 5 hr each way) finished up at 9:30 last night new chain and pads had to cut down some lgp pads as they didnt have enough 20" pads in stock to finish the job. while waiting for our parts runner to show up I fixed a few items neurtral start,back up alarm, serviced machine, and welded patches on the thin spots in the blade corners. This machine had been on the fire lines for 14 days stright working 16hr. shifts, it was time for some tlc. its back out again this morning punching fire line.

• Like 1

Carlot: My imiadiate area is most likely safe, I live in a green belt here in the valley, flying sparks and burning debris is a concern for us as it might land in a hay stack or blow inside of an open building. A bad senareo for us would be continuied strong south winds. or the loss of power that would affect out irrigation abilitys.