The beast runs!

beatngu

well now that runs and the pump shop wants your beer money you could try pulling the 9 bolt side cover off the injection pump and see if the barrels turn as you move the throttle link, if they don't move carefully caress the rack fore and aft and you might get lucky or go to ebay I saw several advertised for $800 bucks :SMOKIE-LFT:

• Like 1

Sounds like you are artificially governing the fuel input to the pump...I'd start with what Gearhead204 suggests (sounds like he's been there once or twice) and then if that all turns to crap go for your spare...might check that out now for good measure too.

Good luck

• Like 1

There is some sort of fuel shutoff on the line coming from the filter to the high pressure pump. By cutting some of the fuel flow, the engine will stay at safe RPMs and it idled on its own for maybe 30 seconds. Any thoughts on that scenario?

I'd do the check on the pump or swap it with another. Last thing you need is a run a way. Do it once and do it right. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

yup,take side cover off. spray with blaster for a few days. should free up. worse case scenario , undo the lines, the three bolts and the one on the bottom and take the pump of. let it soak in a tub of kerosene for a week or so, then turn the pump over til all the plungers move. you can even take a screwdriver, stick it in the spring and gently tap down on the springs.. DONT turn the engine over while the pump is off.

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Glad to see one more anciant beast going to its new life.

I'm agree with all the above on the fuel pump.

Good luck on the project.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Never been in there but in general if it had a gasket, you should buy or make one to go back. RTV in place of a gasket puts things closer together than they were intended to be in my opinion and is not the best way to go. Some gasket paper, good scisors, a good hole punch set and maybe an exacto knife and you will have it knocked out in no time. I'd use a little permatex formagasket to lightly coat both sides of the gasket for a leak proof seal...never fails and is good insurance.

Let us know how you make out.

Well I finally ran into a real problem. The air compressor is pushing oil into the air tanks. I am going to swap the compressor off the spare motor and hopefully that one is good. Other than an air leak from the wiper assembly the tanks will build 90 PSI.