Fuel tank dent removal

This is an otherwise straight fuel tank. It's let down by this one, rather decent size dent. Just after some options on how to remove it...

I know I could just bog it up, and that will be my last resort.

But was hoping for some more suggestions, so hit me guys!

post-14557-0-08371300-1391783134_thumb.j

post-14557-0-92773100-1391783172_thumb.j

• Like 1

I planned to provide such a repair but took that task aside for some while.

The main idea was to drill a hole(s) from the opposit side and hit the dent out with some long pin and a hammer.

Next weld the holes back.

My one is of the same kind but aluminium.

I did that way when fixed cavits on the SS bull bar. Made couple of hills and filed them off, sanded and polished up.

post-3971-0-78825700-1391799091_thumb.jp

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

If you are going to use compressed air always fill with water first as the explosive pressure will be greatly reduced ie theres a lot less to expand really quickly if it was to go bang let us know how you go removing dents as I have tanks that have the same type of dents seeya

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks guys... I like the idea of pressurising the tank.

Gearhead, is the pin gun method similar to a slide hammer?

A combination of all your suggestions might work well...

I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Thanks for your input.

I've been researching methods for this too. Mine has a little more damage than yours but I found a thread on the Brockway sight where they cut the end off an aluminum tank at the weld seem, punded out the dents and zipped it back up.

you can find it here a few post down the page http://www.brockwaytrucks.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1044&start=220

Is the tank new to you? If so there is a chance that it is rotted on the bottom and you will have to cut the tank to properly fix that anyway. Drain it and scope it to be sure before you get involved in trying to fix the dent only to find out you need to cut the tank.

The real question is whether you intend to keep the tank painted after the repair. If it is steel and you are re-painting any of the suggested methods will work to get the significant damage out of it. When you are done you will still need to fill the rough spots with a body filler and sand everything smooth.

Heat will make the steel "remember" where it is supposed to be and may "pop" the large smooth dent out. Apply it in a circular motion around the dent and do not apply enough heat to change the metal's color. You can also try dry ice. Same thing as heat; apply it on the outer edge and try to "shrink" up the metal by cooling it. A little research on the net will show you how to do it.

I have also had luck using a toilet plunger to help pull the metal out after heating or cooling it.

My philosophy is to do the least damaging methods first and work up to what I consider the fool proof, but most damaging solution. In this case that would be cutting the tank end off, pounding out the dent and re-welding the tank.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Yeah it's a steel tank, and it will be painted afterwards so using body filler to finish it off isn't a drama. We have owned the truck for a few years but it was purchased off my uncle.

The RHS tank has had metal strips welded under the tank straps where it would have rusted/corroded away. So I'll be sure to check this tank out, thanks for the heads up.

Cutting the end off would surely work... It's a bit beyond my skill level so I'll try the other methods first I think!

timmy b if the tank has cancer problems id be all in favor of tank end cap removal be sure to reference mark the end so every thing gets back in the right place your local welding supply should have skinny wheels for a hand grinder grab 4or5 of them and simply cut the weld edge closest to the center of the tank the end cap should extend into the shell 1/4 to3/4 in. so just cut the first layer then if needed a little shot of compressed air should remove the cap.

Its a little more work but a well repaired fuel tank is well worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...

So just to update on this, under the tank straps has started to rust. Cleaned it up and it's pitted the steel a bit. Anyone know what thickness the steel used in tese tanks are?

Anyway I'm not going to cut corners, the end will be coming off and an internal inspection done. Fingers crossed all goes well. I appreciate all the feed back.

Regards Tim.

As about welding I also was first told from the shop where the guys were skilly with aluminium to cut off the end.

Although I was absolutely disagreed with that solution due to high chances to get terrible outlook with no way to change it back.

So I directed them to make the cut out from the back side of the tank, frame side.

The reason to come in was the inside cross wall was off its place laying on the tank's bottom and required to be welded up back.

post-3971-0-61408000-1393413643_thumb.jp

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012