Hmmmm, I always wondered if I could fit an E9 in a CHN.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I 'm pretty sure an E9 would fit in a CHN frame. The same Volvo frame in a CHN is pretty wide and accommodates a D16 for the VN.

Most of the Gerth on an E9 sit above the frame rails anyway. Length shouldn't be an issue.

You could make a Badass Rawhide out of that idea!

• Like 1

I measured a few years ago and I found out the frame rails out front were about 5 inches narrower on a CHN, not a Volvo chassis Pinnacle a pre 07 chassis. The big issue would be getting it to sit low enough to line up with the transmission and driveline.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

CXN and CHN should be Volvo frame rails. Like Volvo, the tell tale is the outboard of frame mounted steering box with the pitman arm between the frame and steering box.

The original CX Visions were built on the CH pretty close to straight frame rails having the steering box with pitman arm facing outwards.

CXN and CHN denotes the start of Volvo frame rails with tapered out rails near the engine area to accommodate ASET engines. It was also around the time of the cornerstone frame rails for use on Granites.

Those rails were not of Mack design, I'm sure of that. They are the same rails used in the current Pinnacle CXU and CHU. The U denotes MP-2007 and up emissions. If it was a CXP it would be an MP pre 2007 emissions with Volvo rails.

The CL has a Superliner frame. You could use Superliner suspension and steering components.

We had a CL dump truck at work a few years ago and it had all the holes in the frame rails already to fit the spring hangers for a forward axle from a Superliner or an MH to bolt up. I've often thought of doing that with a CL if I could find a cheap one sometime. The boss took the CL dump to Toronto to Richie Brothers Auction and he's lucky someone paid $40,000.00 for it. Out of my price range for a raw project.Hardest part would be modifying the hood, You would need to do a lot of fiberglass work. But it would be a cool project.

Just seems like something I would do, go buy a CL613 with an E9 and make it a set forward. I like it!

The CHN had the new cooling because of the problems in 04. The Volvo frame rails were used because it was cheaper than having a different design engineered for mack brand. Kscarbel.....do you know if mack even has their own engineering anymore?

No, Volvo's Mack unit does not have their own engineering. The engineers are all under Volvo Group. The only Mack-focused people are, realistically, the Volvo sales marketing people assigned to the Mack brand.

The main reason the CHN landed onto the Volvo VN frame was because Volvo wanted to build Mack and Volvo on-highway models together on the same Volvo chassis at the former White plant in New River Valley, Virginia. Remember, Volvo wants all their brands to use Volvo global components. Volvo Group shut down Mack Trucks' Winnsboro, South Carolina on-highway truck plant in 2001 and moved that production to New River Valley. Then Volvo's "step two" was to place those Mack on-highway models onto Volvo VN chassis, to save money and standardize on the Volvo platform.

Why the United States government would allow Mack Trucks to be sold to a foreign entity is beyond explanation. Our government would not allow that to happen with Ford or GM (Chrysler is another story). Our country's economy depends on a solid foundation of essential pillar industries which includes commercial truck manufacture. And Mack Trucks, without argument, was the finest of all American truckmakers.

After the E9 was dropped as an engine choice for the economical CH and then all the trucks went to that newer higher mounted cab they could fit the inline engines in straight frame rails with no problem and they are cheaper to produce than splayed rails. The reason I was told they used the splayed rails in the past was to mount the engine as low as possible for a lower center of graity thus better handling on and off road. At least that's what they told me when I was younger and went to look at a new RD, man I miss R cab trucks.

• Like 1

No, Volvo's Mack unit does not have their own engineering. The engineers are all under Volvo Group. The only Mack-focused people are, realistically, the Volvo sales marketing people assigned to the Mack brand.

The main reason the CHN landed onto the Volvo VN frame was because Volvo wanted to build Mack and Volvo on-highway models together on the same Volvo chassis at the former White plant in New River Valley, Virginia. Remember, Volvo wants all their brands to use Volvo global components. Volvo Group shut down Mack Trucks' Winnsboro, South Carolina on-highway truck plant in 2001 and moved that production to New River Valley. Then Volvo's "step two" was to place those Mack on-highway models onto Volvo VN chassis, to save money and standardize on the Volvo platform.

Why the United States government would allow Mack Trucks to be sold to a foreign entity is beyond explanation. Our government would not allow that to happen with Ford or GM (Chrysler is another story). Our country's economy depends on a solid foundation of essential pillar industries which includes commercial truck manufacture. And Mack Trucks, without argument, was the finest of all American truckmakers.

Mack was allready sold to a foreign entity decades ago! Remember Renault ? Mack had died somehow since they were purchased by Renault . Where was the gov back in the. 80' ? How did they allow this? Once you are owned by somebody you have no say regarding your future . You are just an ASSET .