1968 F 785T Got her home last night

Go to solution Solved by 2stacksuperdog,

for whatever reason I cant paste into BMT, I sent a PM to Barry couple days ago about it have not heard back, so if you want to see the video go to youtube and search thomastractorsvc video is 1968 F 785, if any of you can cut and past into BMT feel free to post it for me.

Specs 5 speed with a 237

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Nice looking truck!

The first "F" models did not have hydraulic cab jacks.

They had a torsion bar lift system.

Those two round castings at the hinge point between the cab and bumper are where the torsion bars are located.

More than likely one or both of them are broken.

Anyway to tilt the cab you have to unlock the cab using the handle inside of the cab. (looks like the emergency brake handle for a "B" model)

It's at the back of the cab in the center.

The safety catch release is a cable that you pull located at the R.H. door jamb, it's cable with a loop in it.

After the main lock is unlocked you pull the safety catch and manually push the cab up.

Make sure the gear shift is in a gear that will clear the opening in the cab when you raise and lower.

It will probably be extremely heavy due to broken torsion bars, but it could always be worse, could be a sleeper!

The torsion bars for a day cab and a sleeper were different due to the big difference in weights.

I have know idea where you could find replacements, but you have to get the cab up first before you can replace them anyway.

Ron

Well I cant even quote so

Ron,

Thanks for the info, maybe I will hook a strap to the cab and hold it so it won't fall off

2 stack,

Thanks for posting the link

Superdog,

I thought the same thing, the cap has a Mack stamp on it so once I got to looking at it I figured it must of been factory

Terry,

Can't kiss and tell, but my neighbor came over and looked at it said I bought a set of tires and they threw in the truck. I look at it as I rescued another dog from the scrapper.

Robert

You wont belive this, but just this morning a gentleman called me who is cleaning out his dads garage. He went to Global truck to ask who would want some cabover parts. They sent him to us. He has 2 radiators with the shutters out of 60's vintage F models, and 3 Windshields. if this is anything you may be interested in drop me an email. i'll put you in touch with him. I was going to buy the stuff just for an occasion. Check out my old F model on the website. caboverkings.com

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

Cool truck! That looks the CRD-91 carrier in a RADL-515 axle.That blue/white RL700L that was at the ATHS national shows a few years back,had the same axle set-up.I always thought it was the rear axle out of a tandem also,but it has its own ratios,unique to that rear axle series only:4.39,5.07,5.46,6.45 & 7.03! Got this info out of the reprinted B,G,H,and N model operator's manual.Newer versions might have some faster ratios, I would imagine.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Cool truck! That looks the CRD-91 carrier in a RADL-515 axle.That blue/white RL700L that was at the ATHS national shows a few years back,had the same axle set-up.I always thought it was the rear axle out of a tandem also,but it has its own ratios,unique to that rear axle series only:4.39,5.07,5.46,6.45 & 7.03! Got this info out of the reprinted B,G,H,and N model operator's manual.Newer versions might have some faster ratios, I would imagine.

Thanks Al, learn something new everyday.

Mike

That's the wife doing all that fancy pictures and video recording (all on her Samsung galaxy III)

I have been dragging her to truck and tractor shows for awhile, and now the ATHS meetings, I think she is either starting to enjoy it or I am in some deep $hit!

• Like 1

Robert

No problem,Mike.I think when I quit learning something new,they'll be throwin' dirt on me! Didn't seem like :mack1: made a bunch of those top-loaders,even a better reason to save it!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA