Crew Cab MACKS

Hello,

My name is George and I am fairly new to the Mack Forums, I mostly collect and restore Cf Mack Firetrucks. But I was thinking of buying a new tractor and Landoll trailer to haul some of my trucks/Toys around instead of driving them long distances. But I am really needing a crew cab type cab due to people always wanting to go with me to parades and stuff. The problem is if I buy a regular day cab or sleeper cab I can only take one other person with me to things. Now I know International makes a crew cab truck, but can you order a crew cab from Mack?? say a new Granite body style? I would like to stick with my Macks, any suggestions?? Thanks for any help or ideas,

George

Thanks Reuhlz,

I would love to find one of the crew cabMacks, but they only made 5 for fdny. I need something to pull a 50' Landoll trailer. I agree, Mack would charge a bunch $$$$ for a special order, but that also would be a one of a kind Mack. Take care.

George

I am planning on converting a sleeper into seating so I can haul around my kids. I have done some measuring and a 36" sleeper would work but it would be like an extended cab pick up, the 46" to 60" would be best, then it would be more along the lines of a crew cab. Since I am trying to keep costs down with the project they will have to climb in through the cab, they are kids so it will be fine, but then again if the people that want to go with you really want to go they will climb in with out much fuss. I will add a couple small window or at least a tinted back window. Most older sleepers have side access doors any ways that can be used in an emergency.

I saw a 1980's GMC General that had a gutted sleeper with a couch in it as inspiration, when I do mine it will have 3 individual seats with lap seat belts mounted to the seat.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Most truck driving schools use sleeper cab trucks that have had the bed removed and replaced with seats. Also, Kenworth uses a studio sleeper that has a couch that converts to a bed. An older converted truck should be far less in cost than a new custom order one.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

I've seen the gutted walk in sleepers converted to seating for passengers. A little 36" would be TIGHT to sit up in and be comfortable unless you are young and short.

I remember a KW posted here? that was a truck driver school truck and had seating in the bunk. I think it was here? Maybe Old truck site? Somewhere.

How about finding a couple trash truck cabs(whatever model they are) and put them together to make a crew cab? That would be big and roomy. Likely find a chassis with automatic trans to go with it pretty cheap.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

How about a toterhome style vehicle? It has the seating you need and gives you a place to stay at shows.

Are you planning on hauling two rigs at a time? If not a shorter trailer would work fine.

Never owned a Landoll, but a friend has one. They require quite a bit of care to keep the hydraulics, tires, etc. in shape in comparison to a regular trailer. I'd be more inclined to go with a step deck with hydraulic ramps or a regular detachable lowboy setup.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Prolly the easiest thing to do would be to find a good used Mid-roof CX,can always convert the sleeper area into RV type seating,hell of a sight cheaper then any crew-cab type vehicle!..........................................Mark

http://columbusoh.ebayclassifieds.com/trucks-vans-suvs/howard/2004-mack-vision-cx613-sleeper-semi-460hp-mack-engine/?ad=27772121

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Just to throw a negative in here... devil's advocate... oh well, someone has to do it....... :whistling:

before you consider converting and adding seats into the back of a semi cab, talk with your dot and insurers first... why?... someone has to assume the engineering responsibility as you are modifying the vehicle beyond the manufacturers intended purpose and design which then becomes null and void.

they are going to need to determine if seat anchoring is suficient and meets FMVSS, passenger ejection protection and crash worthiness is still maintained.. it may already have a couch in the rear but is it approved for use while in motion??

the insurers will need to know your new passenger count too... they are always looking for an angle to null and void your coverage after a serious or fatal accident and this modification would be it.

try and find a vehicle already converted by a professional company approved for modifications... Toterhome..!!!

this subject comes up all the time on bus conversion forums, wood stoves nailed into the floor behind the driver are not always a good idea... :twothumbsup:

hope this has not put you off... some may say that it's your truck to do what you want to it but the gubbermint has other plans...!!!!!!

BC Mack

• Like 1

Just to throw a negative in here... devil's advocate... oh well, someone has to do it....... :whistling:

before you consider converting and adding seats into the back of a semi cab, talk with your dot and insurers first... why?... someone has to assume the engineering responsibility as you are modifying the vehicle beyond the manufacturers intended purpose and design which then becomes null and void.

they are going to need to determine if seat anchoring is suficient and meets FMVSS, passenger ejection protection and crash worthiness is still maintained.. it may already have a couch in the rear but is it approved for use while in motion??

the insurers will need to know your new passenger count too... they are always looking for an angle to null and void your coverage after a serious or fatal accident and this modification would be it.

try and find a vehicle already converted by a professional company approved for modifications... Toterhome..!!!

this subject comes up all the time on bus conversion forums, wood stoves nailed into the floor behind the driver are not always a good idea... :twothumbsup:

hope this has not put you off... some may say that it's your truck to do what you want to it but the gubbermint has other plans...!!!!!!

BC Mack

I totally understand, to my point and speaking only to my point, I am not going to do anything to my truck that is going to endanger my kids. Modern truck sleepers are designed to provide rollover protection and safety/seat belt tie downs. So when I do it, I will ensure a reinforced floor for the seat belt mounts, emergency egress, etc... the trucks that I have now, insurance company don't ask about seat belts or who is riding in them only who is driving.

Speaking to seat belt and safety I put seat belts in my B61 for the kids and replaced one in my R. Seatbelts are not a big deal to install if you know what you are doing, use proper hardware and follow the instructions my 8 year old could have installed them.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Do you have any pictures of the inside?

I did not take any pictures of the interior. I can give you the phone number of the owners business if you are interested. Send me a PM

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

I was looking for pics of that R to post, that's what I would do right there. Of course if your hauling fire trucks you could try to find a Mack CF 5 man enclosed cab, remove the body and mount a 5th wheel.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"