When did they stop teaching people how to drive?

vision386

Slow news day,and i don't get to see much TV,but today I have seen at least a dozen different commercials for "accident avoidance" systems,"rear view safety cameras" "self parking assistance/steering" "accident prediction sensors" "lane change managers" etc. so can anyone tell me when common sense and the ability to PAY ATTENTION to your driving went away? Just curious,i remember a time when YOU the DRIVER of your automobile were responsible for both your safety,those riding with you,and other motorists! YOU had to PAY ATTENTION and actually drive the car,not the other way around!are people really this pre-occupied with phones,texting,gps etc. that they now need the SUV to drive itself? a dunno,maybe its just me?.....................Mark

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I think the biggest issue is the fact that once we get our license to drive it is ours as long as we can read an eye chart. We no longer need to take a test to renew in most states. Most jobs require remedial training of some sort from time to time but now driving is no longer a privilege but a right...

1981 I had to special order my Bronco with a stick, a 300 inch six and rubber floor mats took 6 weeks to deliever. So it started near there. 1988 Ordered my Dodge 150 pick up truck, 239 v 6, 4 speed ps pb heavy duty cooling system charging system and dual batteries NO carpets, AC, Radio, power windows or other luxery crap. it took 3 weeks from Dodge to get delievered. My 2007 Focus to 9 weeks to get because of the 6 speed stick. Went to Ford, Dodge, GMC and even Toyota for a 2013 Standard cab pick up, 8 foot bed and I wanted a stick, vinyl interior, plain mats and not much else. Don't make a stick in any of them, execpt Toyota and that is a "paddle shift" auto stick. Can't get them with out full power options, AC, chrome crap and other stuff that the dirt, mud and salt water will kill off quick. BUT all the sales "people" keep telling me about the crash avoidence system, back up alert system, Electronic traction control, the 80 airbags and the video and audio sound system. Plus side is that my family, most repair shops for the state inspections and car jackers can't drive any of my vehicles cause of the stick shifts.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Yea and i've been wanting the same thing in a Truck, not a Car truck I call it. Last real truck we had in our family was a 68 Ford XL with no thrills. Had a 3speed column shift big 360 2 brl. Only chrome was door handles but it was a real strong pulling tough truck. Could wash out the interior with a hose pipe since it had a rubber floor. Forgot it did have a heater and radio.

mike

I miss my old jeeps.......(88 yj 4.2l 5 speed and 94 yj 2.5l 5 speed)....power steering, and power brakes...thats it.....no cruise, intermitten wipers, heater (anyone who had an old jeep knows what i mean)....pure driving, whenever, where ever

It saddens me to think that my daughters will have to learn in computers on wheels......

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

I don't care how much drive the car does for them, at least 3 days out of 7 in a week I have what I call ''stupid people driving days'' idiots on the road everywhere. before I redid my B model, I was gonna buy a Softail Harley, im too scared to get on one now a days! we had the stoplight get hit in the middle of town a few weeks ago, they had to put up a 5 way stopsign. god you should see the people try to figure out who goes first. I hate when I come to a 4 way stop, im in the right, I come to the stop FIRST, I go to take off and so does someone else, never fails. my personal favorite it when you cruising down the highway in the slow lane going the limit, you cant move over cause there is a someone next to you but some asshole feels the need to come on the on ramp doin 75+ wanting to merge with no blinker on but they seem to think those on the highway already need to stop for them. I have a 2004 Silverado and had a 2001 before that, both had the imfamous wheel bearing issues that cause the ABS to come on everytime you hit the brakes. this in turn causes you to NOT be able to use the brakes and almost hit the person in front of you, yea , technology. along with that in the rustbest north we seem to have to replace overpriced wheel bearings every year. god, cars years ago the bearings would last a lifetime. I think all this crap that helps the idiots drive or not have to drive effects the rest of the smart people in the world.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I usually get the tail gater flashing lights and weaving back and forth like a kite tail, when I'm in the right lane doing the speed limit...I fight the urge to drop it down a gear, back off and feel the bump. :whistling:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Slow news day,and i don't get to see much TV,but today I have seen at least a dozen different commercials for "accident avoidance" systems,"rear view safety cameras" "self parking assistance/steering" "accident prediction sensors" "lane change managers" etc. so can anyone tell me when common sense and the ability to PAY ATTENTION to your driving went away? Just curious,i remember a time when YOU the DRIVER of your automobile were responsible for both your safety,those riding with you,and other motorists! YOU had to PAY ATTENTION and actually drive the car,not the other way around!are people really this pre-occupied with phones,texting,gps etc. that they now need the SUV to drive itself? a dunno,maybe its just me?.....................Mark

It's not just you buddy

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

I just don't know witch one is worse new cars or new trucks,if it runs on wires it sucks, no dependabilty pieces of junk. this computer im typing on included too! As for the drivers hang the hell up and drive,read the paper at home and do your hair and face in the house not the car. if you need a gps you best be involved in search and rescue and .trying to find the lost bastard using a gps. the only time a gps would help me is when its too damn fogy for a gps to work

Great post. I agree with what is posted. Some of my "favorites" are:

The person driving in the left lane doing just under the speed limit and refuses to move into the right lane.

The person coming on from the ramp. I will slow down (if I can't move left) to allow them to merge. The person will slow down too and at the end slam on the brakes. It is called an "acceleration" lane for a reason.

And lastly when passing, the person increases speed just as you get beside them.

I used to think some drivers bought their license at Kmart but now I think they get them at WallyWorld.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

:SMOKIE-RT:

My gripe is people who leave their brains on the coffee table when they go out to the car. As with those of you who drive truck for a living,riding a motorcycle will either make you a survivor or a statistic. I can't tell you how many times a driver approaching an intersection from one side will roll to a safe stop as I'm approaching,look me right in the eye,and pull right out in front of me. Of course I ASSUME everybody's going to do that,so I'm ready for it,but that doesn't make it any less WRONG. BTW-my Harley is my newest EVER vehicle (1998 FLSTC),my "driver" is an '84 BroncWorth,and my favorite truck is my '54 GMC 2 ton flatbed with a 302 and a 5 & 3 Double Overdrive,with a 2 speed. Out of the 83 vehicles I've owned and driven,4 have been automatics,and 3 ended up with transmission problems. (My '66 Catalina still works fine,but IT was built back when they made cars to LAST.)

I was surprised to learn that something like 40% of the youngsters don't even CARE about driving,and of those that DO,less than 5% can drive stick! Well-that's what they're selling as PROGRESS.

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

If you think it is bad on a motorcycle, it ain't just you. The kid that pulled away from a stop sign & crashed into the side of my trailer tires as I went through the intersection @ 55 mph (I didn't have a stop sign) said he never saw me. I'm 10' tall & 8' wide...big ol' white Mack truck and he didn't see me. A person on a motorcycle doesn't stand a chance unless they EXPECT not to be seen. Best piece of advice I was given when I was learning how to ride was "Ride like you are invisible...pretend NOBODY can see you, because they probably won't. IF they do, it'll be a pleasant surprise...but WHEN they don't, you'll be ready for it."

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I had a girl literally run into my right rear tires. She said she never saw them. . .they're 10 x 24's on a Omaha Orange DM. Hell, you can see that color from space!

On the down side just saw an ad for a 2014 Mecedes. It has heated bead massage seats (piggy stuff?), Mood lighting and Aroma Therapy through the AC vents. . .so you can relax and have your favorite smells. Heated or chilled cup holders and 25 TWENTY FIVE!! speakers for the Concert Hall sound system. Also a one touch e mail or texting on a heads up display and controlled of the "inter active voice or touch messaging center" on the steering wheel.

More crap to distract you.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ugh...I could just go on and on and on and on and on.....................and basically just repeat most any story that has been told already.

They need to get back to making Model T's..........so that only real people can drive. All this automated crap(park assist, brake assist, back up cameras) is for the birds.

I ride a HD, so I know all about taking my life into my hands everyday.

"Responsibility"...........is removed every day from our lifes. It is always "someone elses fault" when we fail to do anything right. Driving is falling into that category.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

yea I love that one, or the one where your going the speed limit and no one is behind you then all of a sudden someone comes out of nowhere, rides your ass and refuses to pass you.

i love going thru road construction single lane usually doing the speed posted i get a tailgater,,,i drop down to about 35,,from 58,,,and think to myself,,,well you didnt like 58,,,youll really love 35,,,ya baby how you like me now??????hahahahahahahahahahahaha...bob

I was surprised to learn that something like 40% of the youngsters don't even CARE about driving,and of those that DO,less than 5% can drive stick! Well-that's what they're selling as PROGRESS.

Speed

Thats interesting. Then again i know a lot of people who dont want to drive. I love it besides when you get a**holes behind you and trying to cut you off. I want to learn stick to someday. Our brushtruck at the FD in town has to get a new clutch put in every couple months because no one knows how to drive it.

Matt

Haha! Model T...where ya got 3 pedals and NONE of 'em are the throttle! I doubt many "kids" my age would have a clue how to drive one. My grandpa had 2...a '26 coupe and a '26 sedan. Dad inherited the sedan...his sister got the coupe. I'd love to have a T pickup. That & maybe a '48 Ford truck...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I agree with the road construction one. I hate when you are going thru the construction a few miles over the speed limit and someone is riding your ass

The fun begins for me when the flagger stops traffic when you have a jerk like that up close behind you,and you drop it into reverse,bump the truck backwards about a foot,and watch said jerk scramble to find SOMEPLACE to get out of your way. (Sometimes it gets so "fun" you can SMELL their fear... :lol: )

Not being maudlin or anything,but when I have to stop driving,I'll stop "living". I love driving more than I love eating,and I LOVE eating.

Speed

• Like 1

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

if you want real fear, pave a lane on the freeway and be the poor bastard raking the meet line have 2 feet of rake handel sticking out behind you into the live lane and see how many drivers actually see you, most are looking at the paver and never see you