Coca Cola Macks

Not here in the Memphis area . or not as of yet anyway . It's Mostly Navistar & Single axle T 300 KW tractors here round Memphis right now .

But you never know what Coca Cola of Memphis has in mind though.

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

One of the Plant employees I spoke with mentioned the 10 truck order is a "test purchase" to see if they work well in the fleet.

Any order is a good order!

(Fingers crossed)

Just curious, why are you rooting for Volvo (with your fingers crossed) ?

I dont like Volvo as amuch as anybody else but i think he means hopefully they will continue to buy macks for the rest of their fleet.

Realistically, those aren't Mack trucks though. From the Volvo VN chassis, Volvo engine and I-Shift transmission to the mountain of Volvo global components and Meritor drive axles, that's a Volvo thru and thru with a legacy Mack cab and hood.

Make no mistake about it, those are not Mack trucks.

• Like 1

at least people are still working there at Macungie, either for Mack or Volvo , and I understand the feeling of having this brand of truck going away from what i was in the past .

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

Here, here. Not to open an old discussion again, but without "outside" ownership the brand would be gone along with the museum and the heritage and legacy we all admire.

Truckmaking is a tough business. Aside from Scania and Paccar, the two most consistently profitable truckmakers in the world, the rest of the truckmakers go through cyclical highs and lows. Mack Trucks was saved by Renault, who invested in the company and allowed it to remain Mack.

But in the mid-nineties, Volvo wanted to grow and acquire RVI, which included Mack as a bonus. A merger plan was announced, and Volvo used that to get a grip on Mack. Although the merger plan failed because of Volvo's deceit to Renault (they were infuriated with the Swedes), Volvo already had the wheels in motion that would change RVI's long time position regarding Mack Trucks.

If Mack had to be sold, it should have been to a U.S. company that would reinvigorate Mack Trucks rather than shut it down and make it a mere shell of its former self. If GM and Chrysler (twice) were worth saving, the iconic American truckmaker Mack Trucks was worth saving.

I agree with Kscarbel, I am happy to see new mack on the road and big company geting back to Mack. But in fact, they're going with 15%Mack and 85% Volvo. I think Volvo wanted to shut down Mack brand, but hey realize that Mack brand was to important in North America to be closed, it would just be better for them to compromise their Volvo with Mack badge.

Built like an OLD Mack Trucks.

I think that the one thing that all of us on this forum agree with is; we would all like to see Mack be what it once was, an independent, successful medium and heavy truck builder. However, reality is that this probably is

not going to happen. What would have happened to Mack if Volvo had not stepped in to buy it? More than likely it would have gone out of business. Is that a better scenario that what currently exists? As to another

company (Cummins, Oshkosh) buying Mack, do you think that Volvo would sell to another company thus creating a serious competitor to the Volvo brand? As to a government bailout, like Chrysler and GM, I don't

think that many people on this forum would like that. My sense in reading these forums is that almost everyone wants government to butt out of our daily lives and let us do our thing free of regulations. I assume that

this also includes regulation of the trucking industry that the government did away with years ago. As I have said before, I know nothing about nothing, these are just my opinions and if Mack ever came back as an

independent company, there would not be anyone happier than me. BTW, I like those Coca-Cola Macks.

bulldogboy

• Like 1

Not here in the Memphis area . or not as of yet anyway . It's Mostly Navistar & Single axle T 300 KW tractors here round Memphis right now .

But you never know what Coca Cola of Memphis has in mind though.

:mack1:

all i see here,,is kenworth,,and international,,,atleast no volva.....hahaha..bob

There's no dark cloud over my head friend. However I do live in the present reality.

I'm thrilled to hear your grandfather owned Macks. And I'm sure he made money with them. But what does that have to do with the Mack-branded Volvo-based trucks produced today by Volvo Group?

I worked for Mack Trucks almost as long as your father, so I can talk about the former Mack Trucks.

"For My friends and those who still work at Mack here" / "My fingers are crossed in the HOPE that the people at Mack"

My friend, perhaps you don't have a clear understanding of the current situation. There are no more "people at Mack" because Mack Trucks no longer exists. The company was acquired by Sweden's Volvo Group in 2000. All Mack brand employees work for Volvo Group Trucks Sales and Marketing Americas. So while you're rooting for Mack, realize that you are actually rooting for the Swedes at Volvo Group that have gutted what Mack Trucks was and now build Mack-branded trucks that are 60 to 80 percent Volvo global component by content.

You're right, my negativity for Volvo is well documented. I certainly have no problem with that. I believe American owned and operated is best for our country's economy.

If you feel the Mack-branded truck has improved so much over the last six years with the massive infusion of Volvo global components, then call Volvo Group Trucks Sales and Marketing Americas in Greensboro, North Carolina and give them a warm pat on the back. Liking the Volvo components as you do, you might just consider a Volvo the next time. Why drive a Volvo with a Mack nameplate?

"I support Mack and the people that make Mack what it is". Okay, you support Sweden's Volvo Group and their Mack-branded Volvo trucks. I got it. And hey, that's you're right to support a foreign truckmaker (Although you're from Canada, I tend to think of the US and Canada as North American economic allies).

What Volvo Group has done to Mack Trucks, reduce an American and global icon down to a mere shell of its former self, should be a crime.

i think we all know kscarbel has a agenda to hate everything about volvo. me personally i dont care who owns mack as long as they are still making great trucks and we can get our trucks serviced and buy the parts at our local mack dealers i dont care if volvo or paccar or mercedes or volkswagon owns them. there is no denying the mack product has imporoved in the last 6 years. the MP series engines are far superior to the mack aset engines they replaced . power and throttle response and engine braking and reliability are much improved . im sick of the bashing.

• Like 2

Well parts are getting harder to find for trucks in the '80s because they have been "discontinued". Mack should be American owned and you should care who owns it with the way our economy is. Volvo is taking over as you can see by putting their suspension in the trucks with all their other crap. Go back to E6s and E7s and everybody would be happy.

• Like 1

Matt

There's no dark cloud over my head friend. However I do live in the present reality.

I'm thrilled to hear your grandfather owned Macks. And I'm sure he made money with them. But what does that have to do with the Mack-branded Volvo-based trucks produced today by Volvo Group?

I worked for Mack Trucks almost as long as your father, so I can talk about the former Mack Trucks.

"For My friends and those who still work at Mack here" / "My fingers are crossed in the HOPE that the people at Mack"

My friend, perhaps you don't have a clear understanding of the current situation. There are no more "people at Mack" because Mack Trucks no longer exists. The company was acquired by Sweden's Volvo Group in 2000. All Mack brand employees work for Volvo Group Trucks Sales and Marketing Americas. So while you're rooting for Mack, realize that you are actually rooting for the Swedes at Volvo Group that have gutted what Mack Trucks was and now build Mack-branded trucks that are 60 to 80 percent Volvo global component by content.

You're right, my negativity for Volvo is well documented. I certainly have no problem with that. I believe American owned and operated is best for our country's economy.

If you feel the Mack-branded truck has improved so much over the last six years with the massive infusion of Volvo global components, then call Volvo Group Trucks Sales and Marketing Americas in Greensboro, North Carolina and give them a warm pat on the back. Liking the Volvo components as you do, you might just consider a Volvo the next time. Why drive a Volvo with a Mack nameplate?

"I support Mack and the people that make Mack what it is". Okay, you support Sweden's Volvo Group and their Mack-branded Volvo trucks. I got it. And hey, that's you're right to support a foreign truckmaker (Although you're from Canada, I tend to think of the US and Canada as North American economic allies).

What Volvo Group has done to Mack Trucks, reduce an American and global icon down to a mere shell of its former self, should be a crime.

HEHEHE

If I have learned one thing in life it's that I shouldn't attend every argument I'm invited to. But I feel someone needs a hug......

If an EX-employee of Mack feels Volvo has done him some wrong in life.....Well Sir, I'm sorry you feel that way and I hope Volvo makes it up to you some day.

In the mean time, I can happily report my revenue numbers are up running my current "MAC-VO's" due to the fuel savings alone. With this regular increase in revenue, I can buy more parts for the old Macks I like to purchase and restore.

Its a beautiful circle of life that my new Macks help restore the older ones.

Please keep those interesting stories of Mack doing this and that from way back when coming.....I do enjoy them and all the details you provide.

I for one will be out there driving, fixing and owning past and present day Macks. So one day someone can post a thread on B.M.T. about Mack Trucks (regardless of who owns it) still existing in 2013 many years from now.

Like I said before quite simply, we can agree to disagree.

• Like 1

Mr. kscarbel,

Perhaps you should put your "money where your mouth is" and buy Mack from Volvo. The purchase to include Hagerstown, Macungie, Customer Center (old Engineering), and the old Mack World Headquarters building. Dust off the old blueprints from the Museum and start building Rs, Us, MHs, and fire trucks with E6, E7, and E9 engines.

BTW, I might consider investing some of my mother's nursing home funds to be a "silent partner".

Oh and how do we know you are an American? We will need to see your birth certificate. Just sayin'

• Like 2

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Mr. kscarbel,

Perhaps you should put your "money where your mouth is" and buy Mack from Volvo. The purchase to include Hagerstown, Macungie, Customer Center (old Engineering), and the old Mack World Headquarters building. Dust off the old blueprints from the Museum and start building Rs, Us, MHs, and fire trucks with E6, E7, and E9 engines.

BTW, I might consider investing some of my mother's nursing home funds to be a "silent partner".

Oh and how do we know you are an American? We will need to see your birth certificate. Just sayin'

Does he even own A Mack ???? Or is this an armchair quarterback thing?