there is currently a group of fellas building a full size replica of the Siamese twin Cat machine as we speak they just purchased a Low Loader big enough to shift it around so I dont think its going to be long till we see it going around to shows 

Paul

there is currently a group of fellas building a full size replica of the Siamese twin Cat machine as we speak they just purchased a Low Loader big enough to shift it around so I dont think its going to be long till we see it going around to shows 

Paul

However would you transport such a beast?!? Permit cost prohibitive for a hobby...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A few photos of the Siamese D8 and the D9 are up a few posts up.

Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

13 hours ago, Underdog said:

However would you transport such a beast?!? Permit cost prohibitive for a hobby...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

you take it apart. transport the two drive units on their own trailer, and the beams and tracks on a third trailer.

then use a crane to put it together wherever you end up at.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I can't seem to be able to find the pics of the Siamese d8 used on the hungry horse dam but I'll do some more digging. I believe it was primarily used to pile brush faster as they cleared the forest from the soon to be reservoir area. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

On 3/11/2016 at 9:40 PM, other dog said:

Not nearly as impressive as the above photos, but I did see a D7 sitting in a field.

DSCN1789.thumb.JPG.eba647a4aacdaaeb88779 

old cable blade machine with a johnson bar, i see that someone converted it from pony motor to electric start.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

• 4 weeks later...

Did the Hungry Horse Siamese Cats follow the tree clearig balls? 

0b4c4296-4749-49be-84a9-2e382e04248e_zps

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

that little fella has got something big to aim for there what a great old photo

I dont think they used a steel ball that dozer blade on the front is a funnel dozer and it has a cutter bar (Root Plow) is the proper name I think on the back and it all was done in one operation

Paul

Edited by mrsmackpaul

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

that little fella has got something big to aim for there what a great old photo

I dont think they used a steel ball that dozer blade on the front is a funnel dozer and it has a cutter bar (Root Plow) is the proper name I think on the back and it all was done in one operation

Paul

A pair of "standard" Dozers pulled a steel ball between them on a cable. The ball was 8 feet in diameter, weighed in at 8000 pounds. The cable was 4 feet above the ground and the ball helped the cable clear the stumps.  

The Siamese Cats used the Holt Funnel Blade in the photo  to clear stumps and brush the calbe passed over. The cats also used a standard  24 foot wide blade also.

fig29.jpg

b8F14-HungryHorse-5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

5 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Did the Hungry Horse Siamese Cats follow the tree clearig balls? 

0b4c4296-4749-49be-84a9-2e382e04248e_zps

Yep they sure did. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

4 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

Yep they sure did. 

I was 99% sure they did. I had a pair of photos of the mechanics working on the blade at the dam site which with the dates has to be the Hungry Horse project, but can not find them. . . yet. 

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

very interesting the steel ball was used out here with varying degrees of success they used to D7's and another with a tree pusher to help on bigger trees but with scrub pulling they only used anchor chains and no ball 

Heres a picture of the crawlers and ball used near were I grew up as kid 

Park.jpg

park1.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I was 99% sure they did. I had a pair of photos of the mechanics working on the blade at the dam site which with the dates has to be the Hungry Horse project, but can not find them. . . yet. 

Hope you have better luck finding it than I did. I'll have to talk to my grandma because years ago grandpa and his buddies put together a short video/slideshow of different pictures and videos of flathead valley. Old loggers and logging jobs, I'm sure the dam was on it and I'm sure home videos of the 64 flood were on there as well.  

Couple of minis Lennox Kitty Track and Windorf Crawler.

lennoxkittytrack.jpg

WindolphCrawler 1.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...