Bulldog Airlines

nope, i put took the oil bath air cleaner off and put the junky new style on with the two inlets BUT i do have a hood scoop. just have to figure out how to make up some mounts for it under the hood as it was not meant to mount to an old style radiator

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

nope, i put took the oil bath air cleaner off and put the junky new style on with the two inlets BUT i do have a hood scoop. just have to figure out how to make up some mounts for it under the hood as it was not meant to mount to an old style radiator

I'm sure you can make it work.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

This is very interesting to me since i'm also a pilot. Too bad the NTSB reports do not give the probable cause of this accident. My first guess is weather related.....fog and spatial orientation. When we have safety meetings at BNA, several times per year, it is an extensive event. But the knowledge has to be applied, the next time a pilot flies. Problem with this is......did the safety meeting soak in to the brains of a pilot?And how much did the pilot learn at the meeting? It is fact, that majority of the time it is pilot mistake or error and not maintenance related.

Thanks for sharing.

mike

What a waste, owning and maintaining a fleet of aircraft. This and other corporate overspending helped put Mack in to serious trouble by the late 1970's

I couldn't disagree with you more. Corporate aviation used properly, and Mack's aviation unit indeed was, particularly under President Zenon C.R. Hansen, allows companies to gain vast efficiencies in operation. For example, being able to quickly move between Allentown, Bridgewater and Hagerstown allowed for better management of operations.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Seems like an awful lot of money to me to fly such short distances. I will agree it is a great tool for management, however it seems there was a lot of hardware sitting on the ground.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I remember reading a story about a trucker that had a wiring problem with his LJ (I think) and needed a new harness. Mr. Hansen dispatched one of the planes to land at a local airport and deliver the much needed part. Don't know all the particulars,but it sounded like damn good P.R. to me! Know anything about that, kscarbel?

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I remember reading a story about a trucker that had a wiring problem with his LJ (I think) and needed a new harness. Mr. Hansen dispatched one of the planes to land at a local airport and deliver the much needed part. Don't know all the particulars,but it sounded like damn good P.R. to me! Know anything about that, kscarbel?

I recall an incident involving one of the many Macks that the U.S. Arrmy once operated, but this was much further back, in 1931. As in your recollection, the parts required were expedited via aircraft.

Note the parts were expedited directly from the Plainfield, New Jersey plant (http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/34219-mack-trucks-the-facilities/).

post-16320-0-49748700-1392024575_thumb.j

Speaking of the above article, when I think of U.S. Army Mack six-cylinder, six-wheeled trucks in 1931, the truck in distress was quite probably a T2 Artillery Prime Mover.

The T2 was based on the Mack AP and equipped with a six-cylinder 150 horsepower 706 cu.in. engine. With a 4-speed transmission and low gearing, it had a top speed of 20 mph.

These trucks were purchased by the Army in 1929.

A beautiful example of the AP, the Mack T2's duties for the Army included troop and ammunition haulage, and gun towage.

Note the side-mounted winch for pulling guns into position.

The disc wheels with 40x8 pneumatic tires made for a sharp looking truck.

The Mack T2 was rated at 8 tons and had a curb weight of 22,380 pounds.

post-16320-0-55180000-1392075500_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...