GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

Right now there's about 10 gallons of fuel in there with prob another 2 gallons of old crap with some Algae in the tank. Also the diesel mechanic put a quart of ATF in the fuel. He said it will help the injectors so i would say that white smoke was some of that burning off, with the rest of the crap. Sometime this week I will drain everything back out and wash the insides of the tanks out to get rid of all the crud. Save me from reinstalling filters over and over. Most likely ill have to change them at least once on the next few weeks as I keep running it.

Damn, just watching that video makes me want to smash my fingers with the ball-peen hammer, I couldn't imagine driving it!!!! Just kidding......I love the leaves and crap falling off it in the first few seconds of road time. Gotta be a good feeling getting that thing out there for the first time in almost 10 years,

I'm sure you have a list of things to do......Obviously from the video though make sure you go over all the running/brakes lights. Hopefully you just have to do light bulbs. Having someone hit the alternator with a tester couldn't hurt if you know someone with a tester. Scrape down that 5th wheel, get rid of all the old crud, then steam clean the entire ass end, especially the 5th wheel....Then maybe hit it with some sandpaper, and then re-grease it with fresh grease. Then crawl under the thing with a creeper and a grease gun with a full cartridge, and hit every grease zerk you can possibly find.

And change the crankcase oil ASAP- that should be the first thing you do in fact- Detroit recommends using straight 40W oil which breaks down over time......I have had several oil people tell me to never allow straight weight oils to remain in a crankcase (or even in bottles on a shelf for that matter) for more than 2 years.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Definitely only use a straight 40W in the DD 2-strokes; any other diesel multi-viscosity will munge up the swirling chaos and burn up even quicker if you can imagine that. Most guys prefer in this order - Delvac, Rotella, Delo 400, I think they're low- or no-ash.

Congrats!!!!!! That is a good unit and cleaner than I thought it would be. I'll be in Clark N.J. late next week at Merkel Racing Engines. Is that near you? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

It was cool!

Too glad to see your progress.

I'm shure all that story must be thankful to your wife.

She vent to look over and the ball started rolling.

As about the old fuel I don't think it can make troubles. Diesel is not a gasoline, doesn't loose its properties.

So you may just filter it or stay in a drum for some time to wait for all the mixed up pieces fall down and that put it in a tank again.

Or mix it with fresh fuel 50/50. Depends on how much fuel in tanks you have now.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Vlad - The main tank has around 12 gallons, the secondary tank maybe 2 gallons. They are pretty empty adn cruddy on the bottom. I am planning on doing an oil change ASAP. The Diesel tech also said run straight 40 in this as well. I got 4 gallons of 15w40 in it now when it was low just to get it onto the stick assuming it was going to be drained out anyway. It was a shame to waste $70 on oil to drive it 5 miles but better than wipping out bearings.

Tonight is power washing day. Get all the grime, mold, and nasty greese off everything I can from the outside to the underside and chassis. This way I can find all the fittings so I can lube this mother up. Eventually, I will paint the frame but first I need to make sure it is mechanically sound, then work on the cosmetics. Just a good cleaning will do for now.

Paul - Clark is an hour north of us. My BMW club has meetings up there at the Deutscher Club of Clark, NJ so I am a little familier. They also just had a car auction at the Armory in Westfield. Thats exit 135 off the Parkway. We're off exit 91. Give me a call at the shop 732-370-8800 if you want to swing by.

Well, not wash tonight. Power washer was down the street at the repair guy and no one picked it up. I forgot to bring my boat brush so I don't mess up the shop wash mitts (not a good idea to use the washing stuff for the nice cars on this filthy thing) and my boss leaves his car parked in front of the damn thing so I couldn't even move it out from where it was so I can at least do the inside. Argh...

Oh well, I guess tomorrow is another day.

Lets see how much money I wind up putting into it before you are jealous.

I would say from the looks of things from here you are off to a great start....The truck is a great find.....Thus the jealousy.... :twothumbsup:

God's Mechanical Curse, General Mess of Crap, Garage Mans Companion.......... I could go on

I like those! I was told it's "Gotta Mechanic Coming?"

But seriously, great truck and lots of luck with it.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

No real updates yet but I did find a new purpose for the truck while its behind my shop. Now when we make a sale we wail on the horn. Honk honk!

Hopefully tonight ill have a couple minutes to scrub out the interior. I also have to replace all the light bulbs. Half of them are out. Once the lights are done ill have my first 13 speed lesson through the industrial complex. The GoPro will be rolling for that.

Here's one at auction in Richmond 5-17-13.

attachicon.gifGMC Astro.jpg

That's kind of cool

Today I tried to take it around the back lot at work. My truck shifting skills need work. Tried shifting without a clutch and failed. Tried double clutching and failed there too. I managed to grind my way into 4th and that's about it. I ran out of room. Ill try again tomorrow. Also finding out I am having a drivers door latch issue. Mainly it's not staying closed. That's going to be interesting if I hit the road. Door panel is coming off tomorrow to investigate.