Saved one from the scrapper today!

Stood out in the rain all day and probably caught pnemonia, but I drove a '95 Ford F350, powerstroke, 5 speed home and am headed back in the morning to pick up my Tacoma and a '66 F609. It's got wedge brakes, a non turbo Mack engine of some kind, (I'm guessing 711 or 673, how do you tell?) and a triplex that's missing the compound stick and linkage. This guy's just been driving it like a 5 speed for 9 years, and said it was like that when he got it. It's running old wore out 10.00 22's on budds. The cab's not horrible, but it will need some attention. The only major rust is on the bottom of the compartments under the bunk. post-560-0-39956800-1361506487_thumb.jpgpost-560-0-49385800-1361506510_thumb.jpgpost-560-0-17471400-1361506558_thumb.jpg

Oh, and I even got a pic of a '79 U model that was there as well. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to bring this little guy home.post-560-0-84670800-1361506591_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jake

No, Mike, I didn't. I don't think it brought much at all. The local rice dryer stopped dumping flat bottoms this year and everybody in that part of the country is having to go hopper bottom. That place was covered up with old flat bottom grain wagons. I'll get some numbers off the motor tomorrow and see if we can confirm its identity. You think you may have enough parts laying around to get the linkage for the compound shifter back in operating condition by any chance?

Jake

Nice save! Good luck with it.

I like it- never seen an F model striped like that, it's just like a '74 Transtar I drove.

The first time I saw those stripes from the factory was on a Transtar II and then they started showing up on used Ryder Transtars and Astros with white steel buds and black fuel tanks. Any chance your '74 had been repainted?

Jim

Nice save! Good luck with it.

The first time I saw those stripes from the factory was on a Transtar II and then they started showing up on used Ryder Transtars and Astros with white steel buds and black fuel tanks. Any chance your '74 had been repainted?

naw, this picture was taken in '79, it's original paint. Seen a lot of IH's striped like this,very popular style back then.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Nice save,Jake! I didn't know you could convert a 15 or 13 speed triplex into a 5? :loldude: ..........hmmmm? I would bet its a 673 of some kind,don't think a 711 would stand too much lugging.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Doesn't look bad at all. Cab looks like it need very little to do it up. Republic Aircraft on L.I. N.Y. had a bunch of Titan tractors with that stripe scheme on them in the early 70's. Good luck and shoot some more pics. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Nice save,Jake! I didn't know you could convert a 15 or 13 speed triplex into a 5? :loldude: ..........hmmmm? I would bet its a 673 of some kind,don't think a 711 would stand too much lugging.

makes you wonder which gear they left the aux. box in,don't it.Used to be a G75 turned into a dump truck running around up by Iowa City that had a Unishift,they had the splitter unhooked and drove it asa 5 speed. Lost track of it ,but bet it's gone to scrap,it was pretty beat.

Come on up when the weather straightens up,and bring your toolbox.

attachicon.gifimage_url-61-1352713103.jpg

That sounds like a plan right there, Mike! I got her home today. Only had brakes on one wheel, but I was having pretty good luck gearing it down, until I caught a red light, popped the throttle to get it out of gear, and it stuck wide open. I ended up sliding through a red light and thankfully the horn worked. It's going to get an S cam swap before I get it back out on the road again...

• Like 2

Jake

That sounds like a plan right there, Mike! I got her home today. Only had brakes on one wheel, but I was having pretty good luck gearing it down, until I caught a red light, popped the throttle to get it

out of gear, and it stuck wide open. I ended up

sliding through a red light and thankfully the horn worked. It's going to get an S cam swap before I get it back out on the road again...

A HA! Awesome!!

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

as much as I hate to take stuff apart,i do have a '65 F715 with a Triplex that's cut in two.The cab is pretty crappy and I'll probably never do anything with it,you might as well get some good out of it.Maybe that will give me an excuse to take the 864 out and do something with it.

You can sell me the 864! Now that I have the Superliner to satisfy my daily needs, I can take all the time I need and restore the 615!!! :banana: