Saved one from the scrapper today!

That sounds like a plan right there, Mike! I got her home today. Only had brakes on one wheel, but I was having pretty good luck gearing it down, until I caught a red light, popped the throttle to get it out of gear, and it stuck wide open. I ended up sliding through a red light and thankfully the horn worked. It's going to get an S cam swap before I get it back out on the road again...

I always put a rubber strap on my throttle, in addition to the throttle return spring, after finding out the hard way that if the spring was to fail it would run wide open.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I always put a rubber strap on my throttle, in addition to the throttle return spring, after finding out the hard way that if the spring was to fail it would run wide open.

Yep, I need to do that. I don't believe that the spring broke, I think something in the linkage over centered for a second. I need to tilt the cab to get a closer look at it, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. It's not like my '74 or '79 F model. I did notice on the driver's side, the cab hinge is bigger in diameter than on the right side, and it looks to have splines inside. Is there some kind of gear reduction crank system going on to get the cab up, or am I missing something?

Other than the normal F-Model rust and rot,looks pretty sound,i sure am glad to see something like this NOT go to the scrapyard!................................................Mark

It's not too bad. It's way better than my '74 or '79, but it has bondo 1/2'' thick on the back left hand side of the sleeper, and it's cracking really bad. I'm guessing it was jacknifed before it got the red and white paint job. The floor boards are rust-free, the dash is complete, and the doors shut tighter and it has fewer rattles than my '96 RD. I just don't know about stripping all that bondo off and starting over again...

Jake

Jake,

I believe that cab has a torsion bar to manually tilt the cab.

Yep,should be a lock handle right in front of the sleeper on the dog house.pull it up,make sure eveything loose is out of the bunk and shifters are in neutral,open the riders door,should be a cable pull to unlock the safety catch,push cab up a little,pull cable,push up rest of way.Should also be a catch rod to hook so it don't go clear over,might want to peak under right fender to make sure its there BEFORE you tilt it.

That sounds like a plan right there, Mike! I got her home today. Only had brakes on one wheel, but I was having pretty good luck gearing it down, until I caught a red light, popped the throttle to get it out of gear, and it stuck wide open. I ended up sliding through a red light and thankfully the horn worked. It's going to get an S cam swap before I get it back out on the road again...

Damn wedge brakes! I used to call 'em SOMETIMES BRAKES! Seems sometimes they'd work,sometimes NOT!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I'm interested in the U! What is it's fate?

I'm not sure, man. It was parked in line about halfway between the two trucks that I bought, and I missed it when it came up. I don't really think there were any exporters or scrappers at the sale, I believe it was mostly farmers and some contractors. Maybe it won't get made into a Honda Civic anytime soon.

Jake