New generation of Mack Addicts

It is with much pleasure that I see younger people who appreciate something that has been a passion of mine for many years. The respect for these great trucks is quite evident in many of the posts I have reviewed on BMT and the fact that people are so passionate about older Mack Trucks.The important role that Mack played in the building of not only our own country but many others around the world is largely forgotten by most people. THANKFULLY..... NOT SO FOR US MACK (nuts )or as the noun some of the more educated prefer ( aficionado's)

I am 26 and not a lot of people I know understand why I got into this hobby. I always liked Mack trucks and one day I was looking at pictures on the internet and seen how many people were into old Macks and restoring these old.trucks, that I decided to join in on the fun. Your right in saying people don't understand how big a part Mack played in building this country like the Bethlehem steel did. Once again I thank Barry and the other bmt members that make this site possible for us younger generations to get involved with this hobby.

Rudy

• Like 1

I'm 27 and I still remember the first Mack my dad ever bought, and the first ''real'' truck I ever drove. I was 11 years old and the truck was a 1984 Value Liner. 300, T2090, 34K camelback rears and a 13' 6'' Davis dump bed. It's safe to say I've been hooked ever since.

Jake

Wow, there are a bunch of youngins on BMT which is GREAT. Glad you are preserving the Mack tradition. Too bad more young people are not interested in preserving the past (not just Mack).

Wow, there are a bunch of youngins on BMT which is GREAT. Glad you are preserving the Mack tradition. Too bad more young people are not interested in preserving the past (not just Mack).

69 r700 with a 318 detroit and i aint never looked back

I grew up in the Lehigh Valley as well but I`m a lot older than you younger guys, I had the connection to Mack through my Dad and Uncle..And it was a VERY important part of America, growing up my friends Fathers worked at Mack, Bethlehem Steel, Ingersoll Rand or many of the cement mills in the area. Mack is a true American Icon that should be preserved at every level, After all, you never hear someone say "Built like a Freightliner Truck" do you????

yuo can't hear that about freightshaker they dismanteled themselfves !! lol omly kidding all make of trucks a very good but Mack is the best !

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

Sadly, my children who grew up with trucks being a very integral part of their lives, now in their 40's and with families of their own have absolutely no interest in trucks. But on the bright side,they remember the days when they were young and rode along with the" oldman " in the summer and as a plus....

Got to see alot of our beautiful country ,but like me,they saw it (thru the windshield of a truck) and I've heard my sons tell their boys "oh, I remember the time I first saw California ,or maybe at another time it was the first time I saw New England , but it was always with PaPaw,on summer break, and in a tractor and trailer.

Money can't buy memories like these.

I can always hope the passion just skipped one generation and comes alive in one of my grandsons.

im 22 and always have been into construction, trucks and what not, I saw a b model at a tractor pull at a fair last year and just had to have one. now i am in the middle of a complete restoration of the truck to have it ready for spring. Not only do they look completely bad a$$ but the history behind every b model is just amazing, if only they could talk and tell stories of what they have gone though

• Like 1

Sadly, my children who grew up with trucks being a very integral part of their lives, now in their 40's and with families of their own have absolutely no interest in trucks. But on the bright side,they remember the days when they were young and rode along with the" oldman " in the summer and as a plus....

Got to see alot of our beautiful country ,but like me,they saw it (thru the windshield of a truck) and I've heard my sons tell their boys "oh, I remember the time I first saw California ,or maybe at another time it was the first time I saw New England , but it was always with PaPaw,on summer break, and in a tractor and trailer.

Money can't buy memories like these.

I can always hope the passion just skipped one generation and comes alive in one of my grandsons.

I don't think I qualify as a youngster anymore,45 but most days I feel like I'm 65,but still act like I'm 20.

I really don't understand how they could not have any interest in trucks.I grew up riding with my Dad and Grandpa,and can't imagine ever not having trucks in my life.I guess in my case I've overdosed,as my wife calls me a "Mackahaulic".

• Like 2

Im 37, grew up riding and driving in Superliners with my dad. I could'nt even begin to say how many countless days and hours i have working and driving Macks. Out of the 3 Macks we had, only one is still with my dad, a 1984 with an E-9 and 18speed. In the early 90's this particular truck could out run and pull any 105,500# rig on the road, and everyone in the dump truck community new it. Sadly, the crank broke in two. The only salvaged part of that hot rod v8 was 2 heads!!! We could never get it to run out like it did......

As a very young child my grandmother baby sitted us kids. When I got in trouble I would head to the attic of our house to escape her. She would always say when I get a hold of you little trucker you will be sorry. I never forgot that. I was 80 years old when I purchased my B.

Victor

I'm 35. Grew up in first in a B then an R both dumps, We also had a Dm, Been around Petes,A-cars,had a cornbinder, also a single cab CCC that thing was odd. My fav out of our trucks probably was the Dm and the A-car conglomaration. That truck was about 10 trucks made into one. Then I got Paccar fever and Own one but coming back around towards the bulldog if I can ever find something I want when I have the moolah.

16 in June. I grew up around mostly old Macks , mostly 70's R/DM and a new 2001 RD. Always loved the older trucks better than the newer one, maybe is was that loud beep the newer ones made whereas the old ones had a buzzer anyhow i always like the old mechanical stuff to bad i wasn't around for the B-models

Matt

I always like history and trying to preserve it. Last year I rebuilt a 1950 Packard 288cid straight eight for a older gentleman who I bought a B model from for parts. Talk about a unique piece of history. I found NOS rod and main bearing for it and they were in boxes marked 3-52. Just mind boggling when you think of whoever made those bearings is probably dead and here we are some 60 years later putting then in an engine...

I am 35. I bought my macks when I was about 28. I didnt grow up around trucks. I became a gear head in high school and wanted to buy a muscle car (chevelle, camaro, etc) to work on, restore and drive. My parents didn't take to that idea so it never happened. Going through school and during summers off when I was teaching I drove brand X dump trucks and thats probably where I caught the truck bug. I have been fortunate enough to buy my house and build my shop when I was 27. Upon completion of the shop, I started to look for that vehicle restoration project and that is where my trucks came into play. Due to time, money, space, I sold one and am concentrating on the other. One of these days, I am going be driving around in a brand new B-61! My son, who is six is a truck nut. Hopefully I can keep him interested in trucks, tractors, etc because I think it would be cool do another truck as a father son project