C model Ford Cabover

JTFormula

Nice!Air brakes?Use it?

No air brakes. This was taken in the early 90's. I brought it upstate and it sat. I wound up giving it to a welder up the road who still uses it on his property. I had no shop to restore it. Makes me sick. They are pretty rare.

post-8724-0-04255100-1379861125_thumb.jp

I know, its not a Mack but I found a no reserve auction for this C model Ford with only 55k original miles on ebay. I tossed in two bids to $750 then figured I would wait to the end to try and steal it. Since I work on Saturdays and had to deliver a motorcycle I sold yesterday, I missed the end of the auction. Oh well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-ford-f700-cab-over-single-axel-tractor-/160942009339?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#v4-39

$T2eC16h,!yUE9s6NGYcnBQz27!Qn,Q~~60_3.JP

$(KGrHqN,!n0FCrsvdDGSBQz27sJy2w~~60_3.JP

I have an old black and white picture of one of these with a 4 car carrier from the 60's hauling Shelby Mustangs next to my desk. I just thought it was too cool and cheap to pass. Oh well.

_2Shelby_GT350_deliv_trk.jpg

Oh and this was the motorcycle I delivered today:

07Scorpion_psf.jpg

JT the Ford dealership in Lakewood had years ago probably 89? A brand new C 8000 chassis with a 3208 250 HP as it was a turbo with a 10 speed Fuller in her single axle. It sat there for a couple of years they couldn't get rid of it.

Rob

• Like 1

1958 or 59 Ford C model in a picture from 1964. Also, another truck mounted backhoe. I can't say for sure, but looks like another International by the look of the cab. It has a different fender design compared to the one previously posted in the excavator thread.

Jim

Merrimack Concrete Products; brings back memories; their plant was on Route 3 in the Thornton's Ferry section of Merrimack. I knew of two of those IHs used as fire trucks in southern N.H. Londonderry's was a 1957, only had one

headlight on each side. Another was a 1958 fire alarm truck, it had dual headlights.

bulldogboy

• Like 1

1958 or 59 Ford C model in a picture from 1964. Also, another truck mounted backhoe. I can't say for sure, but looks like another International by the look of the cab. It has a different fender design compared to the one previously posted in the excavator thread.

Jim

The International is a "B" series-probably a B-160 -1960/61 vintage. I drove a B-180 dump, V-345 5 and a 2. I was a young kid but I drove that better than some older guys and would split shift while carrying 10-12 ton. The truck had a factory plate of 24,000 lbs. A bit overloaded??? And with juice brakes, and 9:00 20 rubber. V-345 was a great motor.

The International is a "B" series-probably a B-160 -1960/61 vintage. I drove a B-180 dump, V-345 5 and a 2. I was a young kid but I drove that better than some older guys and would split shift while carrying 10-12 ton. The truck had a factory plate of 24,000 lbs. A bit overloaded??? And with juice brakes, and 9:00 20 rubber. V-345 was a great motor.

Yes it is a BC 160. It had the 9:00 20 rubber. It is a 59. I loved that truck. I wish I could of kept it. My dad bought that in 1970 when he bought the Ford backhoe and 1969 Eager Beaver 9 ton tag a long which I still have.

• 2 years later...

I was kinda the "utility" driver for the construction company that was building the city of Margate Florida. Most often I had the B model mack 711 with a triplex.Also a Ford tandem dump F 850 with a 534 with a 5and3 the truck was worn out,so if you forgot and tried to use the aux. It would lock up in two gears so you had to pry it out with a crowbar! Also they had a little 7yd"binder"like the one in the picture.It was in road legal shape and ran well.The others were  "job site" trucks ,except for two new Ford 6and7yd dumps.The mack was in good shape but not licensed ran like a raped ape! Had it up to 80 on I95 between Margate and Stuart,It was in 1971.I would be "under the jail" for that today!

Occasionally drove a C-Series fire truck back in my firefighting days.  It was not at the station closest to my house, but I kept up on it just in case.....  It wasn't the fastest rig in the world, but it drove like a luxury car, and had a very quiet Cat, with an Allison automatic.  All in all, it was a nice truck to drive, and except for backing it into a huge oak tree trying to find an unmarked house on a call, my experiences in it were positive......     Oh, and it had the best Grover air horn I've ever heard!  Anyone in front of this rig when laying on the horn knew something was going on behind them. 

Engine4_lg.gif

• Like 1

Funny story about a C700 Ford.  Had one towed into the shop that had a 391 and an Allison back in 86. Tilted the cab and it broke the crank, chopped up the radiator. The engine fan is attached to the crank on those C models. It chopped holes in the cab right behind and beside the drivers legs and feet. Made a hell of a mess. The guy was moving to Iowa and wanted it fixed. We had a good 391 and radiator in a C model that had a cab fire.

I installed it and took it out for a test drive------------wouldn't shift out of first, the governor took a crap which led to some more questions to the owner.

He was on a grade and the trans tried to down shift and dropped from 4th to 1st at 40 mph. A little to much rpm for that 391.:o

Truck Shop 

One ping only

Occasionally drove a C-Series fire truck back in my firefighting days.

From the 60's right on through the 90's almost every FD of any size had a "C" cab or two in the fleet. They have to hold the record as the most used commercial chassis for fire apparatus. My first was a 67 534 gasser built by Young with a 2 speed rear with the same cab configuration as the one from E-One you have pictured.

Young built 4 of the open cab "C" models with the three windshields on them. 2 of the 4 served in Fairfax County where I worked, including the one pictured here. The other took a boat ride to Central America. One was wrecked in MD resulting in a LODD and the other is in a collection in Winchester, VA where it served.

This is a 67 model equipped with 534 and a two speed rear.ODHFS Apple Blossom 5.4.12 166.jpg

Edited by fxfymn
  • Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

We also had a couple of "C" cabs with 10 speed Road Rangers and 3208 Cats at one of the companies where I was assigned as a driver. One was a 1500 gallon tanker that needed all 10 gears and still was slow; the other was a heavy rescue that did OK. Both were tandem axles, a bit unusual in the early 70's.

I lost track of the rescue, but the tanker belongs to a collector.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Sign company I used to work for had one with an aerial ladder on it. More than one time when it gave them some trouble on the road, you raised the ladder out of the way, tilted the cab, fixed what was wrong , dropped the cab, hopped in and drove away                    with the ladder in air.

Mostly just a couple of phone lines taken out.

My career fire department didn't have any Ford "C" model apparatus; when I started it was all Mack "L", "B", and "C" models. I did get to operate a USAF "P-12" pumper when I was in the

Air National Guard. It was a 1973 Ford "C"/Ward LaFrance, 750/500/B. At the time the Air Force was replacing the "750A", a Ward Lafrance pumper, and the "530B", a military chassis with a

body by Firemaster or Ward LaFrance. The other replacement pumper was the "P-8", a Ford "C"/Ward LaFrance, 4X4, 500/500/B. I operated the "750A" and "530B", also. Apparatus sure

has changed since those "good ol' days".

bulldogboy

The moving van is the first truck my father drove, the fire truck is going to be used to restore the moving van.  It is not my truck and not my project, but I was asked to do some work on it possibly at some point.  We will see, but I have my hands full anyway.  Andy

Edited by hurstscrambler