Opinions Wanted

post-61-0-71462000-1353403498_thumb.jpg

My AC was used to carry a small Cat as shown in this pic.It had a simple bed made of I beams across the frame with angle iron laid length ways with short beavertail.The ramps used to load didn't come with the truck,not that it matters.I'm contemplating as to what to put on the back.I have an ancient 5th wheel,the type with the long approach ramps and large pin that locked into latch in the front of trailer.I think it would look pretty cool,but trouble is I don't have one of the trailers set up for it to pull.I also have a dump box from the right era,but no hoist for it,and also a flatbed,but either of these will require a ton of work.What do you guys think,any other suggestions??

With a classic like that, you can't go wrong no matter what you decide. I don't have the mechanical aptitude to be able to look at the photo and determine the work involved, but I would decide how much work and/or how much money I wanted to put into it and take it from there. As I said, you can't go wrong.

Jim

I am thinking leave/put whatever was on the back that you know the truck had. I think that's some cool history that it was a dozer hauler. You see lots of flatbeds, dumps, and tractors but an equipment hauler of that era is not common. To have something a little different at a truck show will stand out, especially when that's the real history of the truck. Don't blend in, stand out.

Equipment hauler is never seen, ever. If you need the early Cat, the one in my avatar that's near my driveway and holds my mailbox could go west... :whistling:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I would install something that would make the truck useful, even if only slightly useful. I like dump trucks, but a flatbed with a headache rack would be good too. The flatbed could be made with stake pockets for the addition of removable sides if ever so needed or desired. If that doesnt tickle your fancy, then install a hot tub on there. ;)

I have a winch made by Mack , 20's-30's vintage and has it IM symbol cast on the gear case. will try to get a pic soon. also the skeleton of a 20's Fruehauf semi trailer, and I know a person that has a Mack 5th wheel.

I am Thankful for my Mack friends and enjoy the day,

FW

Mike,I thought you had one of those original MACK fifth wheels in your inventory? That would be a good match.Don't worry about not havin' a trailer,one will show up at your doorstep when you (or Wendy) least expect it!! :loldude:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA