Opinions needed on saving this 1964 B61

As most of you have or have not seen, I have been half assed looked for a hobby truck to buy to play around with. I've seen some other trucks for sale (R models, GMC's, Internationals, Etc.) but the truck I really want to grab is a B61.

This was posted in the for sale section by farmer52 with the link to Craigslist. http://altoona.craig...3315265915.html

I emailed for pictures and talked to the kid last night. It sounds like a pretty solid truck but has been sitting for 15-20 years. He thinks there is a engine issue which is the reason why it was parked because it wasn't running right. He doesn't know if it was a injector issue, plug or cylinder issue or who knows what. The turn signal and the window was shot out with a .22 but the rest is all there. On the cab corner there is some rot and the drivers floor may need some repair due to the window being missing for a while. The tank is still good, not soft. Tires are original and dry rotted. Price is $1,000 which seems cheap even though its has needs. The downfall is the truck is 5 hours from me in PA and I don't have the luxury to drive out just to check it out. The kid also seems to be a little reluctant to get more pictures as he put it in a text message to me "The pictures aren't good enough but I'm not going to get any more it's a waste of gas and have been run around with tire kickers" - Being in the auto sales business, I know what he is going through.

So being that I have not owned any large truck before and I am itching to buy some kind of hobby truck, what would be your professional (well more like unprofessional on this site) opinions on trying to get this thing? Body or interior work doesn't scare me but mechanically I am at a disadvantage. The old car guy part of me says save it, the practical side says you have no idea what you doing, and the cheap ass side of me says where are you going to find another single axle 5th wheel b61 for a $1k? The other part of me says just save this thing, drag it back to my shop and if its over my head, try to sell to someone who can save it, and if I am lucky make a couple hundred bucks for my time.

One of the guys here said he might help me with hauling it back to NJ so that is one hurdle but I think the engine thing has me holding off a tad. The seller doesn't even know if the motor turns or not as he never tried.

So where do I go from here? I respect the opinions of you guys. Buy it and see what happens or back off because it has a lot of needs for a novice?

post-11944-0-36533100-1350752692_thumb.j

post-11944-0-62514100-1350752745_thumb.j

post-11944-0-21814300-1350752772_thumb.j

post-11944-0-13428100-1350752761_thumb.j

Well you got my opinion already but ill give it again. For 1000 bucks that truck is in very good shape. I paid 2500, plus 600 dollar delivery charge and not knowing if mine ran or not. I got lucky and with fresh batteries and it been sitting for 10+ years she fired right up. Who knows that might happen to you too. But for 1000 bucks i wouldn't pass it up. And plus Me and the International are ready when you are!!! :banana:

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Here's my thoughts- you could hardly go wrong if you can get it for $1,000. It looks to be in pretty good shape, the seller seems to be honest in his description, but more pictures would be nice.

You'll spend some money on it, but I doubt you'll find one cheaper to start with.

Here's some pictures out of a photo album of a couple I looked at before I bought the mixer. The owner was asking $1,000 for the lime green one with no hood. There was a lot of rust around the bottom of the cab, but it had good tires and good glass. There was an exact mate to it, out of the same fleet, bought at the same auction, in Amherst,Va. for $1,200. It had no glass in it and bald tires. I thought about buying both to make one. It was really what I wanted, single axle/duplex, but then I found the mixer at a good price- I figured i'd end up spending what I paid for the mixer to get one of the B-61s roadworthy.

I looked at the other one after i'd already bought the mixer, or I might have bought it. The owner wanted $3,500 for it. He used to work for Mack, and when I was about to ask him what was the least he would take he said "I'll tell you one thing, they aren't making any more of them." And that's true, so I thought it would be a waste of time to even ask.

So even if the engine was no good, which probably isn't the case, it looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

In my opinion you can't hardly go wrong for a grand,parts alone are worth that,but the big question is (aside from the engine) is what you are willing to spend on it?,i mean a truck/tractor is a lot different from say a Camaro/Mustang sitting in your garage. Takes up a lot of room,especially when dis-assembly starts,parts are not as readily available as are reproduction car parts,how much of the work can you do yourself? what do you want to do with it? i'm in no way trying to discourage you from the truck,but you should know what your getting into when tearing into a B-model for the first time..................again,just my two cents......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Here's my thoughts- you could hardly go wrong if you can get it for $1,000. It looks to be in pretty good shape, the seller seems to be honest in his description, but more pictures would be nice.

You'll spend some money on it, but I doubt you'll find one cheaper to start with.

Here's some pictures out of a photo album of a couple I looked at before I bought the mixer. The owner was asking $1,000 for the lime green one with no hood. There was a lot of rust around the bottom of the cab, but it had good tires and good glass. There was an exact mate to it, out of the same fleet, bought at the same auction, in Amherst,Va. for $1,200. It had no glass in it and bald tires. I thought about buying both to make one. It was really what I wanted, single axle/duplex, but then I found the mixer at a good price- I figured i'd end up spending what I paid for the mixer to get one of the B-61s roadworthy.

I looked at the other one after i'd already bought the mixer, or I might have bought it. The owner wanted $3,500 for it. He used to work for Mack, and when I was about to ask him what was the least he would take he said "I'll tell you one thing, they aren't making any more of them." And that's true, so I thought it would be a waste of time to even ask.

So even if the engine was no good, which probably isn't the case, it looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Is that a freaking U model next to the green B?

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

I'm thinking close to Mark's position.

If you want to have B Mack it's a good chance.

Of course you'll need to spend a time for travel because it's the only way to look it well.

For this money it would be shure out of perfection so not a great matter of a real condition. But it's not only money issue - you need to go and look, transport it, keep in somewhere.

I'm not thinking also that the engine is so hard problem. If you want to buy for cheap you'll need to rebuilt engine anyway to run a truck well. But you need to understand that when you'll start to work on it, a value of repairs and parts will be in many times much then today truck's price. Are you ready to make up this deal? Although if you have a bit of time and bucks to try - why not? At least you'll have no reason to sorry about missed chance.

Vlad

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I am well aware of the differences between trying to restore a Mustang over a Mack but I welcome the challenge, at least right now I do. Plus with the help from this website I wont be completely in the dark. I don't have an indoor place to store it so it will always be outside. I am not planning on a frame off restoration either. I don't have the wallet for that. My plan would be to get it running first, then hopefully in driving condition. Cosmetics are the last thing I will be worried about. I wouldn't care if I have to drive it in the crusty goodness it is now - Rat Rod style! I will try to do as much as I can myself. I used to be a mechanic and I always said that if someone else can do it, why can't I. The only difference is they have previous knowledge so I have the learning curve. If there is something I can't do, I know a diesel tech who said he will help out and he wont charge an arm and a leg.

To be honest, I think its because the truck has just been sitting for 20 years unloved for so long, I think I just need to save it.

Ken - I would really appreciate it if you could get some additional pictures and give it a once over for me. I trust you have a better idea of what to look for more than myself. If there is some way you can see if the motor is stuck or free, that would really help in my decision. If you need the sellers phone number, I can PM it to you.

Thanks to everyone for helping out in this matter. If I was 10 years younger I would have already bought it and figured out what to do with it after.

Ken - I would really appreciate it if you could get some additional pictures and give it a once over for me. I trust you have a better idea of what to look for more than myself. If there is some way you can see if the motor is stuck or free, that would really help in my decision. If you need the sellers phone number, I can PM it to you.

JT - PM the phone number and any other info you have.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I would just grab it up

We are not going to keep

Finding them for ever they are getting

More & more scarce by the day if you keep dragging your feet she will be gone

Saw 1 at port of Albany by scrap yard when junk was 300.00 a ton for unprepared number 1 steel

And they would'nt sell it to me for 350.00 a ton so we lost her to china. Steve

Mike it's going to be one Sunday, possibly Nov 4th. TBone said he'd help out with his IH and trailer to pick it up. Road trip!

I had the weirdest dream last night. I restored the truck to a charcoal gray body, black fenders, red frame and was pulling a period correct 28' flatbed also painted red with mint wood decking. I have to stop eating BBQ ribs so close to bed time. It's giving me delusions of grandeur.

Mike it's going to be one Sunday, possibly Nov 4th. TBone said he'd help out with his IH and trailer to pick it up. Road trip!

I had the weirdest dream last night. I restored the truck to a charcoal gray body, black fenders, red frame and was pulling a period correct 28' flatbed also painted red with mint wood decking. I have to stop eating BBQ ribs so close to bed time. It's giving me delusions of grandeur.

Sounds like a Sweet Combo!

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Save it and if it is more than you want to tackle you can probably re-sell it for what you have in it once it is out in plain sight and checked out so folks know what to expect. For example just letting folks know the engine is not locked up will add $500.00 or more to the value.

If you restore cars you probably already know this, but you will always be financially ahead to buy something in the very best condition you can find. You never get out of them what you put into them, so letting someone else spend the money is the least costly way to go. If you are buying it because you enjoy doing the work then it is different, but it will still cost more in the long run than buying a re-done rig.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

For me it's the act of saving something like this where the joy comes from. If its more than I can handle at least I know that I can market the truck much better than this guy and it will go onto someone who will save it. I don't expect to make money on the truck. At this moment, it's a rescue mission.

I tell all my customers don't buy a project, buy something done or mostly done. I never listen to myself.

Mike ok but it's Sunday the 4th.

At least it was running some what when parked according to your blurb from him. I would get it before its scrapped as it looks a lot better than some Ive seen a 3 times the price. I really don't see you finding a much better deal.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE