Best old gas engines

I never ran a gas engined truck much for profit. My Father ran GMC and Dodge gas engines until mid 1960'S with pretty good service. He did prefer the Dodge engines though. I have a 549 IH,386 White,477 Ford and 440 REO gas engines in some old trucks. I started driving commercially in 1972 so I was at the end of the gas era in my area. There were still a lot of steel haulers with gaspots from Pittsburg and Ohio. Joe D.

I would love to have a truck with a Hall-Scott. Need to build up the bank account a little more

Go BIG then...

hallscottv12.jpg

hsfig5-10.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

anyone know spec's on the V-12.theres one in Everson Washington.Guy by the name of Lea Hetterly owns it.Bob D

anyone know spec's on the V-12.theres one in Everson Washington.Guy by the name of Lea Hetterly owns it.Bob D

Hall-Scott V-12 engine. Models 2269-0T and 2181-B2 & 2182-B2

5 3/4" bore x 7" stroke; 2181 ci.

605 H.P. @ 2200 rpm. (gasoline or butane, running w/ 4-2 1/2 " carbs, two magnetos) 24 spark plugs.

These engines ran on gas, butane and LPG fuel. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I was always partial to both the RD-406, and RD-450 "Red Diamond" International-Harvester engines. Pretty good balance of power and economy with a decent lifespan. The RD-501, although more powerful, was quite a bit harder on fuel and the time between rebuilds was sooner.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

7" stroke!!! Max HP at 2200! I bet that thing sounds AWESOME!! ANybody going to have one at Macungie?!?

Same engine just marine exhaust and an marine gear box.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Same engine just marine exhaust and an marine gear box.

Dude, that thing is SICK! I would love to put that in a B model. Sounds awesome! I would build an intake put six Holley 4 Barrels on it instead of whatever garbage is on it factory.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

I was always partial to both the RD-406, and RD-450 "Red Diamond" International-Harvester engines. Pretty good balance of power and economy with a decent lifespan. The RD-501, although more powerful, was quite a bit harder on fuel and the time between rebuilds was sooner.

Rob

Rob, I ran an R-220 Roadliner International for a couple of weeks for a friend of mine back when I was 17, and I gota tell ya it was a damn nice runnin truck!! I made a few trips from Harrison NJ to (I'm not sure of the spelling) Bengees MD. the truck had the 501 with split exh. man. (duel exh) and a very large Holly 4-V Carb; 5 speed OD with a two speed rear...... And there wern't to many guys that could catch ya! also the 427 flat head Continental was a very good motor but the big overhead Continental's that my Dad worked on in the big 260X Brockways always had oil pressure prob's. I could remember when I was a kid he would tell me to look at the oil pressure guage on the big Brock's and he would rev the motor and the oil pres. would would go to about 60 or 70 lb's, then he would let off the gas and the oil pressure would plummett to almost zero and then come back up to about 30. (not good) He would say that the slower the oil pres. drops, the longer the main's are holding the oil. The oldtimers had there own way of things back then didn't they? Almost like the Doctors of yesteryear, they did everything by feel and the sound of the Stethescope....

Ernie

They sold a L Mack with a Hall Scott a year or so ago on ebay. It was a long wheel base with a winch set up. It was pretty original and only brought around $4500.00 if I remember correctly.

I have kicked myself several times since for not bidding on it.

If you had to get parts for that thing, you might as well make them - but boy if you got it restored, it would be nice.

That is one mean sounding engine!! Now put that motor in the Mack ratrod that Vision posted and you might have something.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

That is one mean sounding engine!! Now put that motor in the Mack ratrod that Vision posted and you might have something.

The V-12 weighs in at 2900 pounds............

P.T.CHESHIRE

Back in the late 80's I drove a IH R-210 with the 450 gas engine it was a good running truck, I think it was an old mixer truck, it looked like the b 81 series, it was used on a farm to haul bulk potatos and pulp wood, it was a tandem axel that we put a rear floating tag on, it had twin sticks, good running truck for a gasser.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Real trucks have two spark plugs. Here's a youtube of my 1958 FWD with the 140GZ Waukesha (F554G in later years.) I have always been kinda partial to Waukys, or "thunder pumpkins" as they were known for their orange color. Many do not know that Wauky is still very much alive and well building mainly LARGE gen set power plants, they were under the name Dresser, however they were recently purchased by G.E.

Many Waukys,especially the 145GZ (F817G) were installed in firetrucks, however their track record wasn't exactly the greatest- many tanked after a few years. I found the Waukesha Engine Historical Society online, and spent about an hour on the phone one day with a former engineer. He explained that the mettalurgy in many of those engines was bad, and that the castings down at the bottom of the cylinders where the cyls met the block would go bad, leading to coolant leaking into the crankcase.

Mine has a Zenith heated downdraft carb, and as you can see in the video, quite an extensive air cleaner. The video was taken at the Mack Trucks Test Track, and also on Interstate 78 getting on E/B at Lehigh Street heading towards "the wall" of South Mountain just before Route 309. Mack used this stretch of 78 for years to test new stuff.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

The V-12 weighs in at 2900 pounds............

no biggie just put some cheap coil over napa special shocks on the front end and call her good. With that engine you would have so much weight up front that you rears would be light making for a sweet truck to go do donuts in a parking lot and make Vinny mad.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I read something recently that said the LAFD shop mechanics never had to get into the internals of the Mack gassers, but they could do a Waukesha in their sleep since they did so many.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!