Finally some DM progress

Go to solution Solved by mowerman,

20 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Good deal Bob.  I see you can post pictures again..  🍻

have to sent to email address then slide them over to this page dont know whats up with cellphone its a brand new iphone 15......bob

44 minutes ago, mowerman said:

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.06cf789141fd9d6c576838d41bb19ee7.jpg

Yup, been there done that. You're on the way.

Next step (on my mind) would be grinding off  ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶t̶  bad material from the inner side over the cracked areas and start applying new bondo from there. That when it set completely (I'd wait for 2-3 days for each spot) grind off the excess and a bit more at the outer side together with surrounding area and apply bondo on the face.

And yes, you don't need to remove all old repairs in a case the material looks strong enough and doesn't slice away.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

thanks for that im also going to scrape up abuncha areas underneath for backing mesh and painting underside of nose lol lots more to do and yes alotta the old bondo,,,seems to be in pretty good shape ,,,i may just leave alittle on there if the area is not lifting...kinda waste of time and labor  ..bob

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I-Phone...  I think thats the issue, not certain.

you know i hadda  motorola android when i first joined this i liked it alot better it seemed to be alot more user friendly and alot more choices for free ringtones 

• Like 1

Bugger me this is a serious undertaking, way way way out of my comfort zone

Sounds like the pictures are to high in resolution (dunno if that's the right word) and by emailing them it shrinks the to a standard size

Dunno how to resize the picture on a android let alone a iphone, easy enough on a computer 

I'm still using my first mobile phone I ever had, it's had a new screen, battery and camera lens in its life but works just fine still

The bloke in the phone repair shop has to order the bits but it only takes a day or so

I never needed or wanted a mobile phone, I have had this one maybe 5 or 6 years now 

Paul

I did not want one at all. wife just drive me to work and pick me up one morning Donner Pass was closed. I was stuck on the other side and she did not know where I was or when I was going to be back so she  forced me to get the first one I was kicking and screaming . Now I can’t even wipe my ass without holding it in my other hand like a teenage girl. I used to at least leave it at home when I was not working now I even carry it around when I’m off duty. but yes, I think the Motorola had a lot more accessible free apps and the voice text worked a lot better. And the Motorola phone was a lot cheaper…. Bob 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just found out an old buddy of mine passed a few days ago we used to be pretty tight. I kind of lost touch with himI have to say it put me a little off a bunch of shit going outside. I just put everything away and came in the house, kind of a shocker, we were both the same age. 

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Bugger me this is a serious undertaking, way way way out of my comfort zone

Sounds like the pictures are to high in resolution (dunno if that's the right word) and by emailing them it shrinks the to a standard size

Dunno how to resize the picture on a android let alone a iphone, easy enough on a computer 

I'm still using my first mobile phone I ever had, it's had a new screen, battery and camera lens in its life but works just fine still

The bloke in the phone repair shop has to order the bits but it only takes a day or so

I never needed or wanted a mobile phone, I have had this one maybe 5 or 6 years now 

Paul

And yes, Paul the more I dig into this the worst it looks. It’s becoming a little more of a project than I thought, but we’re getting it done. You might be sleeping now. …. 

• Like 1

Bob your best bet would be get all the old bondo filler out of there get some fiberglass resin and matting and make all your repairs with that cracks and holes get it good and solid then coat with body filler . That filler will not last if used to repair cracks and holes and don’t buy the pink bondo brand either I hav had good luck with evercoats line of products I think advanced or auto zone sells it I used the rage gold it lays down nice and sands quick but it’s like 75 bucks a gallon last time I got it and I found if you put a nice coat down then hit it wit 40 grit on a big 8 in da sander it will cut a lot flatter 

• Like 1

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

Oh yeah, bro the more I dig in the more I find I had a chance to buy a nose off a  an old trans con U model around 15 years ago 500 bucks. I passed on it because it had some damage on it as well. I’m starting to think I should’ve bought the damn thing I could’ve got her cleaned up a little bit easier than this one ha ha. oh well more of a challenge, my friend. Bob

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mean Green said:

Bob your best bet would be get all the old bondo filler out of there get some fiberglass resin and matting and make all your repairs with that cracks and holes get it good and solid then coat with body filler . That filler will not last if used to repair cracks and holes and don’t buy the pink bondo brand either I hav had good luck with evercoats line of products I think advanced or auto zone sells it I used the rage gold it lays down nice and sands quick but it’s like 75 bucks a gallon last time I got it and I found if you put a nice coat down then hit it wit 40 grit on a big 8 in da sander it will cut a lot flatter 

Thanks for that but yeah that’s exactly what I’m going to do fiberglass outside and inside. I’ll probably gonna have to put a little sheet metal pieces in to hold back since some of the spots are completely bare. I need suppling back there to hold the web. Thanks for the tip but I have not bought a can of Bondo and 30 years really didn’t know where to start. I already got a small fiberglass kit to  get started from Home Depot. also need to go back there tomorrow night to find another sanding device. That tiny little drillbit is taking too long to go around the contours. And yes, I am looking forward to the fun challenge of reshaping everything … bob

You've got your work cut out for you with that hood. I agree with Mean Green with removing the bondo and any other foreign materiel that's been used to repair it in the past. Some of those cracks look pretty significant and my concern there would be loss of strength and rigidity, causing it to flex and deform. I would do the bigger repairs right on the truck like it is to keep it's shape. Then tackle one repair at a time, with the larger ones first to build some strength back into it. It's been a while since I did fiberglass repairs but it's not too hard to do. Do you know anyone who repairs boats or has experience with fiberglass? It couldn't hurt to bend someone's ear to gain some knowledge or some good techniques about how to get it done.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Yes, that’s the plan and no Matt I do not know anyone I have worked with it a couple of times before but yeah I’m definitely grinding off anything loose and starting fresh. Thanks for your input.bob

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mowerman said:

Just found out an old buddy of mine passed a few days ago we used to be pretty tight. I kind of lost touch with himI have to say it put me a little off a bunch of shit going outside. I just put everything away and came in the house, kind of a shocker, we were both the same age. 

SORRY for YOUR loss, Bob . unfortunately ;; I'm in same situation at the moment. three funerals in last month. one took my get up and go .   how did you make out with the modified exhaust?? .  challenge of the hood would send  me scouting for another one and use this one for spare time retirement project. 

• Like 1

This SOB is a lot worse than I thought, but I’ll get her all straightened out. It’s actually a pretty fun challenge but no I did not know it was really anywhere near this rough….. the More I  dig into it the more I find and welcome back … bob 

Ooooh Matt,,,forgot to mention my best childhood pal now owns a body shop in Tennessee,,,, I was just talking to him the other day on the phone and told him what I was doing and he pretty much said the obvious as we were discussing… get rid of all the old repairs and start fresh … bob

• Like 1