Finally some DM progress

Go to solution Solved by mowerman,

On 2/11/2024 at 1:00 PM, mowerman said:

Sorry fellas,

Bob

So you should be🤪🦘

Mack bonnets mad out here have wood inserts as well, as did fiberglass cabs

I reckon it was a soft wood like cypress, not pine though as the grain was wrong to be pine

I reckon treated pine would be the go as it won't rot if water gets in 

If metal was to be used I would use stainless or aluminium, just so it can't rust and screw the whole show up on you

Aluminium would be nice and light

I reckon theres a lump of wood on the fire wall end to help keep it's shape

I wonder is a Superliner and a R 700 the same as  they are longer and would need more lifting effort

Paul 

• Like 1

Well, I was also thinking whatever I put back there is probably gonna be difficult to remove once the fiberglass hardens might have  to  pull all that shit out while it’s still tacky… that way I could put whatever I want back there and just take it out. Bob

• Like 2

On 3/9/2024 at 8:56 AM, mowerman said:

Well, I was also thinking whatever I put back there is probably gonna be difficult to remove once the fiberglass hardens might have  to  pull all that shit out while it’s still tacky… that way I could put whatever I want back there and just take it out. Bob

depending on location. certain areas of the hood will benefit if using good grade plywood type  which can be left in the fiberglass mold. hood latches, hinge  mounting bolt area. little bit of engineering , area of latches having the wood , you can drill and install proper size nutserts into the wood replacing the broken bolts from disassembly .if using plastic jugs/ bottles for forming definitely scrub/ wash any oil residue from plastic first. 

Yes, I also thought of that there’s a lot of shit inside of the nose I’m going to have to scrub off oil road tar etc. gonna go through there with a wire wheel rub everything down with acetone before I attempt any of it i’m thinking the def  jugs might be the ticket. I just bought a couple of them couple months ago and the from what I remember they  almost look like the same exact shape. Just chop it up and stick it in there. Too bad I didn’t save them but there’s lots of them laying around the fuel island. Oh Thanks for that mecho

• Like 1

You may also use construction foam if want to build a channel. Polyurethane foam doesn't stand out from air really much. Let some foam to get out from a can, wait for dry up, than cut into the shape you need with a paper knife. 

Speaking old wood I extracted from the hinge areas I filled the spots completely with new fiberglass. You get strength similar to a hockey stick handle. Some weight adds on but that's right above the hinges so no issue when opening. The amount of resin and fiber stock grows up that's true. But seems insufficient in relation to the worth of your labour. 

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

More progress a little bit later unfortunately more preparation ha ha I’ve got a new caper in mind. Let you know what I come up with a little later. I’m starting to think I’m going to put the underneath reinforcement backing in first  which will give me a nice foundation to start the outside …bob

• Like 1

didnt have time to work on it this weekend,,,,between another challange 5k walk and wifes birthday weekend....but i think it was mark T asking me about drivers side body condition this is all i can find..as far as cancer.....looks like a protective plate mack added,,,bolts to body mount bracket,,,flaking and looks like bushing is shot and corner of rear skin...bob

saw this plastic bottle in our recycle box,,,,got a brainstorm possibly chop it all up and might be perfect for first coat of fiberglass,,,for my upcoming sculpturing   project...bob

To me, it always amazes me just how much preparation goes into things that no one even notices

Keep on plugging away, you will be surprised at just how far you get

I bought a year planner, big poster size thick cardboard doohickie and wrote for each day what I did on the dairy farm, I was stunned at just how much I got done

Like this but no long flowing locks of hair 

91VhbW-E1UL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_FMwebp_.thumb.webp.55c4a63cbb208e01897d8e0ef65d1711.webp

Paul

That’s ingenious and yes, that’s where I’m at right now cleaning and scraping and grinding and standing all of the underneath where I’m going to start… taking another look, I’m really not going to need a whole lot of creative molding …wind up using that little bottle for all of it ..maybe a couple of pieces of cardboard here and there I don’t know I’ve got plenty of time to think it over..bob

• 1 month later...