"Old" tires

7 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Have seen guys change the front tires right on the truck with a bar.  Not even remove the rim from the spindle.  Spindle makes a pretty good pivot.

Seen the starting fluid thing done many times.  Not something the OSHA folks would approve of!

in the day when dayton wheels were common ; budds were "high end "or fleets . many tire company's  changed the tires on the unit. mainly the front steer. reason being they didn't want to use the time or have "static " from drivers the front wheels wobble. took a few minutes changing steer axle wheels /tires to get them true within 1/8=1/4 in . by dismounting/ mounting  tires on the unit tire co not responsible for wobble wheel. watched many/ did a few. real pain in ass . budd wheel  tire changing still on art when changed on truck 

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Thats dirt cheap to my and my way of thinking 

Proper tool for the job for less than a 100 bucks

Not worth stuffing around with lighter fluid or ratchet straps

Paul

i had wanted one for many many many years. then by chance i ran across that amazon unit. 

no more ether and grill lighter to mount tires in the winter anymore. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

The last place I worked I took care of a fleet of garbage trucks, role offs, tractor trailers with live floors, every day I had to tend to tires one way or other I got so if it was a tire on the outside I would change it on the truck every month I would roll in about 25 tires in the tire room and they were gone and we would be looking for more everything had caps on the drives and trailers, new tires for steers. A 385 steering tire did me in was doing a tire change and that was it disabled at 59 years old. I used to use either to seat the beads before the tanks got popular.

Yeah, I wanted a 'Golden Tool' many years ago too, but it was $650.00...  But after a while of doing tires most days for 2 years, I decided to say 'NO!',  I did enough big work on the road with my business, tire's and tire inventory was a No-Go.. To see one for $135.00. Is a good deal for a 'Golden Tool' copy..  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hayseed said:

That's a Cunning Stunt........LOL

I have seen someone (with bigger gonads than I) put a clip on  Tyre chuck  on & fold/Kink the hose over to  block it, Dribble a little bit of Petrol (gas to you) around the Bead, then throw a lighted match & let the hose unkink at the same Time. 

The Whoosh creates a vacuum & the rush of Air will seat the Bead..!!

A bicycle tube lubed up with a little air in it in the gap on the side you mount it from, take the valve out of the stem on the rim you're putting the tire on and as it airs up it squirts the tube right out as the bead comes up.   Not dangerous or anything. If you get the hang of it it works pretty good. Tubes come in 20" and 24" . Done hundreds of them that way over the years until I snagged one of those rings with the holes in it and the air.   

• Like 1

Just now, Joey Mack said:

MarkT,,,  I can picture how it's done, NOW,,  That is awesome..  I almost want to flatten a tire and knock it off the bead, just to try it... :) 

Just a touch of air in it, and WD40.  A Dayton you need a couple 2 X 4 to get the rim off the floor.  

• Like 2

56 yrs old.  Ya, I hope to not have to buy anymore of these tires?  Though the fronts are now 9 yrs old, so maybe 10 yrs til I do them again, "if" I still have the truck and use it the way I do.

Some guys would scoff at spending too much money on a "toy" but mine has to be dependable so I feel it is a necessity.  I put 6 new trailer tires on every 5 yrs, without a second thought(though I do get them for like $75 a pc).  They don't make 6 yrs without failing so I just replace them before I have change one at 2 am on a road somewhere.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I’ll be doing it all when I finally get to my DM except the two reupholstered seats and for sure tire change I am not doing them besides, I’m hoping to go to tubeless used container chassis ha ha and Larry. No I would not do that.unless they are tubeless  …. I used  to repair split rim tube types as a teenager. They are a ball buster.

I'm in the process of switching from tube type split rim to tubeless radials. I found six 22.5 x 8.25 used rims in good shape. There is a truck tire shop close by that will mount the tires if bought from him or $40 each if not. I haven't priced tires so I'm not sure if it pays to buy online or cash and carry vs  through a shop. I do know when you see the price of one tire and multiply by 6 it adds up quick.

Well, from what I hear they’re 500 apiece and up I have the same issue I need all 10+ the tubeless rims. I doubt my truck will ever leave town if it ever makes it out of my yard at all so I will be looking for the cheapest shit I could find, as long as the tread is legal 

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

Well, from what I hear they’re 500 apiece and up I have the same issue I need all 10+ the tubeless rims. I doubt my truck will ever leave town if it ever makes it out of my yard at all so I will be looking for the cheapest shit I could find, as long as the tread is legal 

If your gonna go with Chinese rubber Double Coin is the best bang for your bucks,actually a very decent tire I’m running 12R24.5 on my dump,30000 miles on em so far very happy with them..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MACKS said:

If your gonna go with Chinese rubber Double Coin is the best bang for your bucks,actually a very decent tire I’m running 12R24.5 on my dump,30000 miles on em so far very happy with them..

Thanks for that. I might get away with just eight drive  tires for now the steers  actually look drivable especially just around town. for now anyway, back ones are pretty much done especially this one. It was throwing rubber. Just driving it around my property a couple of weeks ago. try to download a photo it won’t take ha ha I think you posted that photograph right after you got them. Certainly nice looking tires.

4 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Thanks for that. I might get away with just eight drive  tires for now the steers  actually look drivable especially just around town. for now anyway, back ones are pretty much done especially this one. It was throwing rubber. Just driving it around my property a couple of weeks ago. try to download a photo it won’t take ha ha I think you posted that photograph right after you got them. Certainly nice looking tires.

I also found tires branded Road Crew,they are exactly the same as double coin but cheaper,guy on e bay selling them..good luck

• Like 1