Mack Camelback suspension

C4Ed

The truck has bent backed into something .before me bent the big back bumper bad on same side  I pointed out the rear hinge for dump tank is bent and binding and they said it been that way from bumper hit. I have drove it for 6 months drives smooth and straight no noises.But like I said rear would walk out far after backing.

what you saw with the walking suspension is not good..  those rears can move a little but what you saw..... hell no..  I am not picking at you right now....  but how long have you been driving Mack's, with camelback's????  It is a strong set-up, but like ANY other set-up. If it is not inspected and maintained.....  Well......   You obviously know...  I am glad that no one was hurt..  jojo

First one I seen. I believed the mechanics. They were heavy truck mechanics all 3 off them. One over 30 years. I literally showed them it sticking out atleast a hand size past other tire but would straighten right up I feel like a dumb ass  now because I'm am mechical  able. 

i agree with JoJo.

i have been pushing trucks down the road for over 53 years, and still learn things.

a prevented accident from your latest experience proves you are much more capable than you give yourself credit for, even if you did have an extra three helpings of good luck for breakfast that day. 

not everyone can keep a truck on it's wheels when the suspension breaks. 

that is the difference between a driver, and a steering wheel holder. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

17 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

yeah,  X's 4...  Gosh I hope they get it right and safe for who ever drives it again..  jojo

Bro thats where you come in ! I f the top pad on the other boxes is loose and flopping about as described earlier It it needs all 4 corners not just one! you need to point that out! that said if the T leaf is not been hitting the box for and aft its still OK to drive just Should to have the block changed!

On 11/14/2022 at 1:02 PM, terry said:

I  have seen aluminum ones on the 34.000 pound tandems, bet them could break easy!   terry:MackLogo:

My H67 has the 34k rears, it had aluminum caps on it. I read that Mack recalled all the aluminum caps in the 70's due to breakage, so I found some steel caps. That would be a real joyride if one of them broke.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They sent truck back. They replaced the broken box and all the pads and hardware. They replaced whole drop down frame. They said ready to go I check it out They left  the rear tire on it that was ground down the side wall and another tire flat off rim.They said they align truck bur none of the tie rods where lossened or moved or any other piece. They are full of grime and not one greased piece on truck. Our shop mechanic said calm down I'm being to picky. I Said that the truck will be perfect they don't like that.

• Like 1

if they call a truck with a flat tire off the rim and one with sidewall ground down from broken spring rubbing on it "ready to go" , i say it is time to find new employment, and than report the unsafe trucks to your state dot. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 11/14/2022 at 6:15 PM, Joey Mack said:

there is a dent on the back of the box that got my attention..  

I think the dent you're referring to is actually the side of the box, where it rubbed the tire/rim bead when the bolts bent on the spring's way down. Sorry I'm a little late to the game on this one!

Brake shoes look fine to me! They wear thinner on the ends of the shoes where you can see in the picture. Out in the middle of the shoes is where you check wear limits.