Mack Camelback suspension

C4Ed

I don't think this dude's ride is all that bad. Look at the saddle, it's not up too bad out of center on the trunion . It looks to have some grease residue around it too. I've seen lots of camel backs worn out and this isn't a typical failure.  I'm curious why that one bolt is unscrewed ?  Even if the bucket failed, that one bolt shouldn't be unscrewed and still fast into the housing ( if this picture isn't after removing it )  I still think Paul was on to something earlier in this thread.

14 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

dammit Onyx...  I cant see what that symbol is.. :) 

Buddy you need to see the eye doctor!😂  That looks like it  was basically a clean break ! I NEVER SEEN ONE OF THESE Break like That ! looks like the coarse  bolt let go that threads into the housing and stressed the rest! I wouldn't jump to the blame game on this other than the buffalo pads needed replacing! The T leaves hitting the box heavy usually the indicator!  that said as indicated the welding is a possibility of a crack welding! !

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MACKS said:

Has any one else seen one of the buckets brake like that because in never even heard of one breaking, something was very wrong there..

No !  I suspect the bolt broke my self As I stated! That said!  Its an opinion! When redoing the load cushions We Always the REPLACED THE BOLTS! unless instructed by the customer not to! Lot of weight hanging off of them bolts at times! Imagine if it were the front one let go WTF ,Excitement X4 New Underwear Required !

• Like 2

That bolt in the picture should still be tight no matter.  There's lots of it there too and shiny. End of the treaded part looks like any end of a bolt ??  Pad's pretty well past needing attention, but I've never seen something quite like this (lol)   These mysteries are more addicting than crack

Screenshot_20221113-114836.png

Screenshot_20221113-114942.png

I just got new glasses 6 months ago.. :) . Too funny..  I decided to delete my opinionated posts, so as not to offend or look like an A$$..  those boxes are worn thin, and that suspension has been bad for years..  I have never seen a box brake like that on a truck that wasn't wrecked..  The best part is that no one was hurt by an out of control truck.. hats off the the driver for keeping it upright...  Jojo

• Haha 1

Yes C4   don't be offended, but that truck staying upright was more luck than skill. That's no reflection on you either.  I've seen springs sheer off, trunions break , never saw anything like that though.  All same effect as far as driving it when it happens and it usually doesn't end well.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

i had one break. in 1988, truck was two weeks old. 

almost rolled that one too. i saw the car on the side of the road as i was going over and slammed on the brakes. knocked the rear rear out of the truck after the driver side bucket broke too. 

mack towed the truck back and tried to blame me until i pointed out the truck was only 52k lbs and registered for 70k, and it only had 1300 miles on it. 

then heard from the salesman they had 5 other brand new trucks towed in with broken buckets within a week of mine.  

a few months later the official determination was defective casting left thin spots.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

19 hours ago, tjc transport said:

i had one break. in 1988, truck was two weeks old. 

almost rolled that one too. i saw the car on the side of the road as i was going over and slammed on the brakes. knocked the rear rear out of the truck after the driver side bucket broke too. 

mack towed the truck back and tried to blame me until i pointed out the truck was only 52k lbs and registered for 70k, and it only had 1300 miles on it. 

then heard from the salesman they had 5 other brand new trucks towed in with broken buckets within a week of mine.  

a few months later the official determination was defective casting left thin spots.

Wow never run across this! Anything can happen I guess! like I said earlier you dam lucky it wasn't a front box may have been a whole diffrent out come!

Just sayin!

17 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Hey 'C'  If they put you in another truck with camel back's,,  Just for kick's,, reach in to the top of the boxes and try to wiggle the upper pad's.  and look to see if the rubber from the lower pad's is sticking out or barely visible..  If the uppers move, the lowers pad's are 'shot!'..  Just curious, are they going to replace your ruined underware??   jojo

Yup should be a free designer set of boxers !

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, C4Ed said:

Like I said it's a company truck and the next day they towed it out to a frame suspension shop. I Have to go there to get my stuff out of truck will get a picture of other side of box. I just came off a large bridge I just barely kept it upright it was close. I'm glad I didn't hurt anyone. The company acted like no big deal.Then I lost a day of work so far. 

Please do!

1 hour ago, C4Ed said:

Joke of the day they said it just needs the bucket and pads for that one that broke.   The owner is on vacation hope they get back soon.   Gonna need a new job.

Have to see more of this truck.  Something here doesn't add up.  

• Like 1

That was why I came off as an A$$ at first...  My gut told me that there are un-safe practices....   Inspecting those boxes is easy, as you know.. and now the story is that they are going to just fix that one...  what about the other 3??  I hope 'C' takes a good look at all the info and opinions, and look around the shop with a keen educated eye..   Yes luck kept him upright, but I would like to add that he did good to not lose it also...    jojo