Mack Camelback suspension

C4Ed

Drive a mack that carries a 5000 gallon pump tank. Rear was walking out about 4 to 5 inches. Brought it to company mechanic told me that mack allows movement. Said drive it no problems.We had high wind warnings and I was driving and it felt a little wiggly but all the wind I thought I as getting pushed around. Now a couple of days later I'm going 65 full load and rear axle pad box blows off I drive the crap out of it almost crash and burned but was able to not hit anything. If you have a high milage camelback rear I advise to check it.I wont drive it without complete parts replacement Springs buckets and bushings.What you think about parts replacement they should not even not replace it all Resized_Screenshot_20221109-135036_Messages.thumb.jpeg.a40a08bfbb56f016f8507e86c57a00d3.jpeg

Resized_20221109_134204_165669351486384.jpeg

Resized_20221109_134236_165681697805494.jpeg

• Like 2

That would of added some excitement to the day 

Gotta ask the question, did you get under and have a look when you first noticed it tracking out wide ?

Thinking it might of had a broken or missing bolt that could of easily been noticed 

And Mack Camel backs do track a fair bit 

Paul

• Like 1

IDK    those tires don't look like they've been run on a worn out camelback. I'd guess the truck has a side torque rod at least on the rear ?  and the leaf's main doesn't look polished from hitting the bucket ( but it's not a good picture to see all that ) Sometimes when they're that shot the little cover like a dog dish on the carrier bashes into the frame.   Can't imagine what that would have felt like from the driver's seat..... yikes     I'm with Paul on this one

• Like 1

I check every day for missing broken or cracked things.I did look at all bolts on rear. They aren't great at cleaning any thing but I check the grease levels my self. I get them to adjust brakes and clutch every moth for me. The rear shoes are not to step in shoe yet. They won't replace until it's there. It drives straight and smooth with tire man checks them every week. There was no banging or noises. But am concerned about the bucket braking. I just barely kept in upright.

Hey C4 thanks for sharing your experience and the pics. We arnt being rough on you….just the people you are paying to do these jobs. Maybe we can save you more of your money or your life/others. 

Edited by Onyx610
Spelling
  • Like 1

These trucks aren't payment princesses. They are stop and go every day at 70000 pounds for 12 hours. They get beat on. The brake replacement is 1/4 inch or to indicator limit which is the same. The lights work tires are good and brakes don't leak.I don't know why I would think that any one here would have any thing important to say but no just attack. I know that all your trucks are so perfect.But most likely most of you have never drove one just typed one.

9 minutes ago, C4Ed said:

These trucks aren't payment princesses. They are stop and go every day at 70000 pounds for 12 hours. They get beat on. The brake replacement is 1/4 inch or to indicator limit which is the same. The lights work tires are good and brakes don't leak.I don't know why I would think that any one here would have any thing important to say but no just attack. I know that all your trucks are so perfect.But most likely most of you have never drove one just typed one.

Just because they get worked hard isn’t an excuse for shotty maintenance. The fact you have  people to adjust your brakes says alot, also that means your brakes arnt working correctly and you should be pulled off the road. It’s trucks like this that kill others. 

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1

'C'..  you are surrounded by some of the smartest people when it comes to Mack trucks, and if you do a small amount of research you will find that there is a tremendous  amount of knowledge about many other truck model's..  Now..   My Opinion stands..  I have been doing this for 24 years, and the pic's I saw spoke to me...  poor inspections and maintenance..   If that Offend's you, I will not offer an apology..    I made a living putting SAFE truck's on the road, and No MAN will ever tell me the opposite..   With that said...  Please use this Website for your need's..  All of us will certainly help you the best way we can..  It is truly a 'Brotherhood' here and all are welcomed..   For real....   Jojo

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

'C'..  you are surrounded by some of the smartest people when it comes to Mack trucks, and if you do a small amount of research you will find that there is a tremendous  amount of knowledge about many other truck model's..  Now..   My Opinion stands..  I have been doing this for 24 years, and the pic's I saw spoke to me...  poor inspections and maintenance..   If that Offend's you, I will not offer an apology..    I made a living putting SAFE truck's on the road, and No MAN will ever tell me the opposite..   With that said...  Please use this Website for your need's..  All of us will certainly help you the best way we can..  It is truly a 'Brotherhood' here and all are welcomed..   For real....   Jojo

👏🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hans Remmers said:

Looks like the box was run with bolts loose and then the inners broke off in the housing or pulled out

I reckon your right, this isnt as easy to notice if you dont know we're to look

The bolts towards the center of the camel back I doubt anyone can easily see from walking around doing a pre trip inspection 

So depending on how the conversation went with mechanic I can sort of understand how this could all unfold quite easily 

Gotta remember the mechanic can only goes on what is described to him and the driver can only describe as best as they can 

I dunno we need to try to not be to critical after the event

Bloody lucky everthing survived the ass puckering adventure at 65 MPH I reckon, I know I would of had white knuckles pulling the truck up 

Anyway I'm sure all involved are well on the way to getting things sorted now

C4Ed I'm judge you the truck or anything else just chucking some thoughts about

A lot of the people on here are really experienced in all facets of Macks so dont judge them to hard as they can only call it like they see it

Paul

proper maintenance on a truck that runs 12 hours per day would be grease once a week. 

and with any more than 2 inches or so of axle walk the bronze bushings in the tubes should be changed. 

i had a 99 that had close to 1 million miles on it when sold. there was less than 1 inch of axle movement. 

it got greased once a week, which was between 1000 and 1500 miles a week driving. oil was changed every 5000 miles, and air filter was changed every 6 months with removal and blown out every three months. 

that truck is still on the road with close to 1.5 million miles on it. 

although it is no where as clean as when i had it. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..