If you had the opportunity to redesign the Mack chassis and the MP engines what would you change?

2 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Never made it to production. It was 885 cid. Bore and stroke was 5.375”X 6.5”

image.jpeg.6c95f5e2ef14c1bcd595700d2f30ce32.jpeg

image.jpeg.bde54ecf258884bbf68ccc79c9d19390.jpeg

Well That's My new thing for Today learnt...Wonder Why It Never Made It to Production..??

Looks like E9 Rocker Covers & maybe Heads Too..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

5 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Well That's My new thing for Today learnt...Wonder Why It Never Made It to Production..??

Looks like E9 Rocker Covers & maybe Heads Too..

I believe you are correct. I think it used a lot of the E9 components. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Was there any issues that you guys saw with these engines?

The E9 had its issues!  Valve seat issues  / Lifter/ Cam failure, head bolts would break head gaskets leaked.  piss poor engine brake this is a case of failure By design the brake as we all know has always been sort of ho hum on most Mack engines up till the power leash  , water pumps failed a bunch at the begining! As usual Most of the issues resolved Before the end of the run on these ! The other weak point on these was the counter bore ledges would sometimes crack ! In my opinion the head bolts were under sized An really should have been fine thread and or studs! Thinking back on it How ever the 866 had fine bolts and they would leak also! they also had the liner ledge issue!

If the big Six had entered production I would have hoped they would have used the E7 style liner set up but who knows ,it never got off the ground! also notice they left room for the econovance there in that design they were a forward thinking bunch of guys! But they were working with stuff they mostly already had they were working on a budget in my mind! That's likely why it never got finished! Money constraints !

• Like 1

If there's one thing on my 2016 CHU613 Pinnacle I could change it would the steering shaft linkage set up. The plate it hooks to blocks convient access to the alternator and such. Also I would give the MP8 atleast 500horse out of the factory. Other than the DPF emissions junk I'm very happy 😊 with the truck overall. 

• 2 weeks later...

I drilled it a size smaller than that fitting and wrenched it in and epoxied it in there. If it doesn’t I’ll get a metal cap and cut threads. What do you mean by filter??

Edited by Onyx610

On 11/11/2022 at 5:14 AM, fjh said:

Don't know if that fitting will stay in there at 40 psi how ever very innovative on your part Onyx ! which filter did you use?

21 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

I drilled it a size smaller than that fitting and wrenched it in and epoxied it in there. If it doesn’t I’ll get a metal cap and cut threads. What do you mean by filter??

I assumed by the look of the top there it was a filter you made the tool from!  Guess I am a dumbass 🙃! Its round it fits the the hose I would go there if I needed to make a quick tool for pressure testing! And Volvo uses some perrty asshole sizes when it comes to most things! What ever fits!

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, fjh said:

Yup I 'm game I would try it If I had nothing else!😬

That looks like a plastic cap off plastic pipe.  They're thick enough to put up with considerable PSIs for testing when you thread a hole drilled through it. Easily can hold enough to check for leaks.....and it's a cheap way to test. Onyx moonlights as a plumber 😃

Edited by Mark T
more information
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

That looks like a plastic cap off plastic pipe.  They're thick enough to put up with considerable PSIs for testing when you thread a hole drilled through it. Easily can hold enough to check for leaks.....and it's a cheap way to test. Onyx moonlights as a plumber 😃

Mark you are correct, it’s a pvc end cap

2 hours ago, fjh said:

I assumed by the look of the top there it was a filter you made the tool from!  Guess I am a dumbass 🙃! Its round it fits the the hose I would go there if I needed to make a quick tool for pressure testing! And Volvo uses some perrty asshole sizes when it comes to most things! What ever fits!

Now I see what you mean haha. Yea I guess the picture does make it look that way. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, james j neiweem said:

Were there ever any Mack big 6's (885's) put in production.

No they never made it that far. Sucks, would have loved to hear one of those. 

Edited by Onyx610

1 minute ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

There is an ad right now on facebook page 'Mack E9 V8'  for some of these engines and other E9 parts. Not sure if they were military or marine engines.

Very good possibly they were marine as well. wish there was more info/vids out there on these engines. 

37 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

When I would go the the Mack schools in Atlanta and Chicago they had the big posters on the walls of the quad turbo engine. 

How cool would that be to been able to snag one of those! Little did you know then….

• Like 1