If you had the opportunity to redesign the Mack chassis and the MP engines what would you change?

Glenn,,, I love the E-7,,  But I also gained a respect for the E-tech..   Especially after the ASET's came out.... and then the MP came about, and well.......   Give me an E-Tech any day...   Jojo

9 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Joey didn’t the etechs have cam issues? Also something called “etech squeak” I think it was from a roller dragging on the cam lobe. 

Not as bad as the injector/cup issues in the MPs but close. At least the got close to getting the cam issues resolved. I was doing 3 cam jobs a week back then but I was barely 30 then . Id do good to get 2 done a week now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Joey didn’t the etechs have cam issues? Also something called “etech squeak” I think it was from a roller dragging on the cam lobe. 

So Thinking on it and after seeing some of the posts by you folks I would say ! Main bitch for me are the Rocker bolts that really never got resolved the Fuel pump yup that's one they fixed that wasn't broke to start with! they had the perfect setup on the original E7 , There ain't no nicer serviceable engine out there than an E7 in a CL or CH !!! I Never liked the plate oil cooler! Come to think on it The original e7 was set up almost perfect! If they had put the powerleash on the the original E 7 the engine would have been pretty nice! problem free engine! Etec was OK how ever it was the turning point the down hill slide to unreliability ! Once the cam thing got sorted it was decent till 2002 ! Rocker bolts didn't start breaking till they made them smaller and powerleash came along ! the EGR was the big slide and this was an experiment for ALL the engine companies ! except Mercedes they got an extra year to comply for some reason!? They pretty much resolved almost everything else ! The turbo issue was the big thing in the beginning what ever they did to resolve this worked after a year or so of embarrassing Failures! So the only fixes for me would be them rocker bolts put em back to the correct size 7/16 , and put the fuel system back to pre 1996 aboriginal E7and the oil cooler Don't like it just because I don't! just another fix that wasn't broken! The dollar store fuel line fiasco seems to have resolved so I will consider that fixed! So really comes down to it Was there !  But they regressed! Those being fixed everything would be at an acceptable failure rate ! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Not as bad as the injector/cup issues in the MPs but close. At least the got close to getting the cam issues resolved. I was doing 3 cam jobs a week back then but I was barely 30 then . Id do good to get 2 done a week now. 

In all fairness the MP had cam issues too like you had mentioned earlier. Man you must had been rolling in money with that kind of pace. All the older guys were pry telling the service writer “give those cam jobs to the young kid”

Edited by Onyx610
Spelling

FJH doesn’t like the oil cooler just because! Hahaha. Yea I agree with you that the etech was the start of the ending. It was an awesome engine no doubt, but this was the start of the time period where emissions regulations were changing and quickly every few years.  

Best ???   E-7 Mechanical....   Million Mile Engine....  Changes???  Bring it Back...   Here's a thought.  It Moved loads like a pro, maybe a little too slow,  (Poetry)..  It also did it with low maintenance cost's. and it got 7+ MPG...  Now a-day's,,,   we have been brainwashed about saving the Whales,  and NO smoke out of an exh. stack..   but... the G-Men said,,, Hell no,,,   we cant have something that WORKS.....  so now we have gov. exh. systems, that cost more money, and down time, so that Owner Operators have to juggle to stay a-float..     'To be continued'  🍻

• Like 1