If you had the opportunity to redesign the Mack chassis and the MP engines what would you change?

I would be interested to hear everyone's comments on the above subject! The first of many of my thoughts would be replacing the fuel system with a proper HPCR  system  Bosch type system! the Engine mounts would be high on my list as well!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

As FJH said , a true high pressure common rail fuel system. Put the high pressure pump where the optional REPTO PTO goes as I rarely see this used. Make the EGR valve and cooler easier to remove/replace. A separate air filter for the AHI as no one changes their air drier cartridge anymore and this the cause of 90% of AHI failures. More/better insulation on the chassis wiring harness. Re-program to where the engine won’t won’t derate when a ABS fault occurs. 

go back to the CL-713 with an E-Tech 460 XT, and 13 or 18 speed Maxitorque, 200series carriers 4.42:1....   and I guess the option to have M-Ride if you dont like camelback...  Damn you Onyx...  :) as for the Highway,  CX-613 E-Tech 400 or 454, 10 speed or 13 speed Eaton, and Eaton 404/405 rears maybe 3.72 or 3.90:1......    I like to be able to repair them without re-financing my life with the Devil to do it.   jojo 😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

For starters, the rear mounted gear train. 

I doubt that That'll ever happen.. !!
It's a European Thing. Makes It much easier to work on in COE trucks..

All the euro Engines are like It..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

But Mack doesn’t make a cab over and I live in the United States 😃 My solution to that would be the Volvo engines can have the rear mounted timing gears and the Mack gets front. Or all US engines get front mount and all Euro get Rear. Cummins doesn’t do it that way and I’m pretty sure they are all over Europe. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

go back to the CL-713 with an E-Tech 460 XT, and 13 or 18 speed Maxitorque, 200series carriers 4.42:1....   and I guess the option to have M-Ride if you dont like camelback...  Damn you Onyx...  :) as for the Highway,  CX-613 E-Tech 400 or 454, 10 speed or 13 speed Eaton, and Eaton 404/405 rears maybe 3.72 or 3.90:1......    I like to be able to repair them without re-financing my life with the Devil to do it.   jojo 😈

Yup sorry Joe have to call a spade a spade! Vac ride put camel back to the back of the line  buddy!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

So i know this hasn’t been up to long, but its starting to look like this engine really isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. When the only real issue seems to be the fuel system. 

Correct ! These mp engines would have a lot less problems had they gone to a proper common rail system! The dollar store Delfy system only half fixed the injectors dancing in the cups! In my opinion the egr valve mounted on the cold side of the cooler would help to! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

To keep it away from the hottest cylinders or just for service purposes?

Correct ! Service. In my mind it don’t matter where you control the flow ! But never had a degree in engineering! 😞

On 10/20/2022 at 6:58 PM, Onyx610 said:

Weren’t the injector hold down bolts garbage? 

The whole shmeer is garbage! Volvo has had issues with cups for long before Mack came along 

I worked with a fellow who was with Volvo for years and he claimed the cup thing has always been an issue! Got worse as combustion pressure

in creased

• Like 1

Just now, fjh said:

The whole shmeer is garbage! Volvo has had issues with cups for long before Mack cam along 

I worked with a fellow who was with Volvo for years and he claimed the cup thing has always been an issue!

I feel like it still is, not as nearly as bad but still occurring 

1 minute ago, Onyx610 said:

I feel like it still is, not as nearly as bad but still occurring 

It’s half as bad cause they didn’t focus on the problem !

the plungers! Do you see the three electrical fired one’s failing ? The ones that fail now are the plunger operated ones! Correct? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Yea good point, if they could get a legit high pressure pump they could pry do away with the unit pump injectors. That would be kind of going back to your guys first idea. 

Yup don’t matter to me I don’t work on it ! How ever I do see the forest for the trees! These guys are also stuck in there ways determined to flog a dead horse!

• Haha 1