Can you guess

When I get a chance I will post pictures of all the info I have on this truck.I also have a original price sheet for Mack B87’s from 12/55.These trucks were originally meant to be for the oil fields,heavy duty extreme duty.I know ours was never abused but it was loaded to the hilt.It would haul a 100 ton load like nothing.You have to realize this was back before dot’s inspections,I have a picture of it hauling one of our shovels completely deck out ready to dig.

• Like 1

the accessory kit with each new truck had the 12 ton bottle jack included till early '70. it also contained two round (4in ?) lights for the back. long after each accy kit stopped the bottle jack  and signals where factory installed  using just two lights ;; same as today, the accy kits had the two lights. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

WOW, a whole fleet of trucks for $83K and change!! At least the 12T jack for the B83 was free, LOL. That's a really neat group of records. Do the other trucks still exist?

Didn't they all come with a spare rim and some form of tools for lug nuts back then ? 

• Like 1

all  the 81 series were  the best. the truck kits did have a lug wrench (silver with hex on both ends and a 3/4 ? bar for the wrench,two red taillights, short lived bottle jack and the all important drivers manual.  who would have guess those manuals would be worth so much today, I had so many; darn

• Like 1

don't remember when the spare rim( strapped behind the cab) became optional . can't recall what be came of the rims; some customers took them ; not all.  Scovill manufacturing in wtby CT bought new R685st's and every truck had the rims and bottle jacks included well into the '70's.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing all of this great history @hicrop10!  

You may have mentioned this previously, Mike, but was there a certain project that your families company was gearing up for when these 4 trucks were purchased?  Note that I may be confusing this order with a latter order of R and U models…

Dave

9 hours ago, DavCut said:

Thank you for sharing all of this great history @hicrop10!  

You may have mentioned this previously, Mike, but was there a certain project that your families company was gearing up for when these 4 trucks were purchased?  Note that I may be confusing this order with a latter order of R and U models…

Dave

No on the special job,we brought 2 more latter that year.On the r and u,dm they were all brought for one job.We took 20 r686st Tractors,15-DM600 tri-axles.We had to wait for the r models to be built Mack found 10 u models that were already built that we could,so dad brought them to.Both the u’s and r models pulled new Benson dump trailers.

• Like 2

9.10 ratio.  Ya, stump puller gears.  I dont think they made much steeper then that?  Maybe 9.50?  I remember one of the High Point Bs have 9.xx gears in it.  Seems it was 4.00 up to 9.xx were the choices if I recall.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 10/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, hicrop10 said:

Well mattb73lt would be closest with his guess of $25,000.The real price is $27,300.At the same time dad brought 3 b61sx would anyone like to guess at there price.Again these trucks were also heavy spec.

CBB1E40C-B7CF-4DC7-A9F5-278D172A79C5.jpeg

Would have been neat to know how competitive this price was in the day to the Dimond REO, White,  KW , ect of the era  .