Suspension Identification

Quickfarms

As with all old trucks it has a few issues.

The passenger side widows are smashed and need to be replaced, is r model glass readily available?

The plastic dash panel with the tach is busted. I was thinking about putting in a standard speedometer and removing the tachograph. 

If 1 has been sitting for awhile (DD 2 stroke), I pull valve covers & use my hand primer (that you have to make up) & put it in the in side of secondary fuel filter & pump power service through fuel system & barring engine over, so fuel gets through injectors good. That engine probably has the solid rack, if so it only takes 1 injector to stick & all will hang. It could have a spring loaded rack & they are individual, but have seen several injectors hang with spring loaded racks & governor can’t over come.

make sure emergency kill works, I usually take air intake hose off & get me & good stiff piece of cardboard or a bunch of towels just in case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2022 at 9:07 PM, Quickfarms said:

The cable is not connected to the flip lever, it looks like it was just bent over the lever. That seems like a weak way to attach it, how much force would be in the flip lever?

The lever moves freely, do I need to check it further?

how many batteries should I put in the truck? Here in Southern California i have only run 2 batteries in my other trucks. Will 2 work or do I need 4?

I don’t see why not.. bob

On 10/7/2022 at 3:22 AM, 70mackMB said:

The Sangamo Tachograph looks like it should be mounted in the dash to the right of the tachometer. But where it is now was a common spot for them. My MB had one mounted on a 1" X ? length of pipe wielded to plate steel on the dog house. Speedometer cable came thru a hole near the shifter tower. Have two of them, should mount one of 'em where it once was.    .....Hippy

Aaaaaaaaaahhh the old stool pigeon we used to use them at nissens back in the 70s… bob

• Haha 1

if your initial start is by your self, I would have the emergency stop cable working and connected. 1- you can't  (or want to )climb up to the shut off fast enough from the cab.2= a helper brave enough can standby if the emergency shut off needs to be flipped. the internal emergency flapper should have spring tension helping it close. when you move the locking lever there should be a slam action to the flap. 

18 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Aaaaaaaaaahhh the old stool pigeon we used to use them at nissens back in the 70s… bob

I knew a driver that drilled a small hole in the door of the sangamo wrapped a small string around the clock and was able speed the time ; finish his NJ run be back in CT for second job. LOL .only reason he was caught = someone call the plant wanting to know why a baskin robbins truck was parked outside their house every week. chart in sangamo only had the one tell tale rip showing door opened ;. driver was fired after brass went took pictures of the truck in CT not NJ

11 hours ago, mowerman said:

I have never seen one of those plastic gauge plates I have the steel parts somewhere if you need them I’m not sure if I can find them amongst all my shit .. Bob

I need the visor or what ever you call the part that goes between the dash and the instrument panel for both R700’s and for this truck I need the speedometer and dash panel, or a good tracing so I can mak my own panel that will only hold the tach, speedometer, air pressure gauge and a warning light 

13 hours ago, 1965 said:

If 1 has been sitting for awhile (DD 2 stroke), I pull valve covers & use my hand primer (that you have to make up) & put it in the in side of secondary fuel filter & pump power service through fuel system & barring engine over, so fuel gets through injectors good. That engine probably has the solid rack, if so it only takes 1 injector to stick & all will hang. It could have a spring loaded rack & they are individual, but have seen several injectors hang with spring loaded racks & governor can’t over come.

make sure emergency kill works, I usually take air intake hose off & get me & good stiff piece of cardboard or a bunch of towels just in case. 

How do you make the hand primer?

what is the best way to bar one of these over 

DD makes 1 for there power unit models that I use. Just like the 1’s on cat dozers and such. Can just get cheap electric pump also

1-1/2 socket on camshaft nut, or 1-5/16 on crankshaft,  or 1-1/8 on accessory drive on the back of blower drive.

• Like 1

Since you haven’t got much experience with the DD, put some medium size vice grips on the rack, & give it just enough fuel to crank. If you don’t control the rack with something (hand or vice grips) the rack will be in full fuel until it starts and governor kicks in. First start is most of the time when things go wrong, let it run & circulate good fuel, then start easing in throttle for awhile. It’s not bad as long as your prepared 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

Yes, and there are more, but my wife says it’s unhealthy as she rolls her eyes and asks me what jewelry I am going to buy her

i offered to get her a bulldog tattoo as I got her more wine

Just Buy her some Mack ear rings....LOL

MACK truck - earrings , ear rings GIFT BOXED | eBay

• Haha 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

8 hours ago, 1965 said:

Since you haven’t got much experience with the DD, put some medium size vice grips on the rack, & give it just enough fuel to crank. If you don’t control the rack with something (hand or vice grips) the rack will be in full fuel until it starts and governor kicks in. First start is most of the time when things go wrong, let it run & circulate good fuel, then start easing in throttle for awhile. It’s not bad as long as your prepared 

all in favor of the vise grip idea; one concern for me is starting it with valve covers off:::  unless i pressure washed it first  there's an awful lot of yrs worth of  dust, grit the fan will blow around that will end up in oil galley on heads. as in many cases on these forms , sure would like to be there when it fires up. must be like a heart surgeon when he opens some one up ;;LOL the thrill to hear / see something come "alive" again.

• Like 1