Suspension Identification

Quickfarms

don't recall such a light equalizer being on a tractor.  if I'm seeing right ,the rear drive has the parking brake cans with one disconnected. a little T L C that would make a real nice truck . R700 western ,old kysor AC  and bullet roof lights . 

must have been parked for some time based on the cob webs. a real great barn find.  see the sangangomo (wrong spelling) speedo /clock on the dash; haven't seen one of those since the '70's. I still have quite a few DD tools in my toolbox. just a suggestion, I would clean off the top half of engine and remove  the valve covers to make sure the rack and injector plungers move freely. a runaway DD is a scary and costly  situation. you would be sick if I told you all the brand new DD parts I threw over the bank yrs ago. turbo's, new complete piston kits , and the list goes on. got tired  of moving them around my garage. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

must have been parked for some time based on the cob webs. a real great barn find.  see the sangangomo (wrong spelling) speedo /clock on the dash; haven't seen one of those since the '70's. I still have quite a few DD tools in my toolbox. just a suggestion, I would clean off the top half of engine and remove  the valve covers to make sure the rack and injector plungers move freely. a runaway DD is a scary and costly  situation. you would be sick if I told you all the brand new DD parts I threw over the bank yrs ago. turbo's, new complete piston kits , and the list goes on. got tired  of moving them around my garage. 

Last registered in 1993, used as a yard mule until 8 years ago. No brakes on the front axle and only spring brakes on the rear most axle, the disconnected air can probably leaks much worse than the one that is still connected. 

once it is running I will replace, or rebuild, all the air cans and see if that starts to correct the air loss issue

tell me more about checking the rack and injector plungers 

23 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

Can anyone identify this 4 spring suspension?

it is on a 1972 RS700 that I believe is a glider

EBE4771A-F189-4B94-B27F-FB11149CA9A1.jpeg

160F7CF1-151D-4ACE-8D3C-1CE9D8BCE08B.jpeg

8D7397DA-3C91-4769-AFB0-E8592856EE37.jpeg

D0C06FDD-53C1-482E-93BD-9897A56BC5BE.jpeg

This may have been a glider kit because there has never been a mack suspension bolted to that frame so that means some one built a glider kit.

• Like 1

glenn akers

I thought it was from an international with Eaton rears, and the aluminum rims are modern,,  didnt see if they were budd's or hub piloted..  i'll look again..  The truck is still cool..   but I think its a Mongrel...   sorry, dont know how to spell Mongrel.....  jojo

• Like 1

looks like budd wheels on the front, i assume budd's on the rear,,, certainly not spokes with aluminum rims..  I would be curious if there is a seem where it was married to a back half?  Its a cool truck...  Just my 2 cent's...   Jojo

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mark T said:

I agree with Glenn. That's old Freightliner.  Gliders we're popular back then.  It wasn't always an avoid after treatment thing.

'70's  saw a lot of gliders and B_C_R 's built. I built a U611st for a local company. mack eng coupled to a  RR. decent wheelbase. 

19 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

looks like budd wheels on the front, i assume budd's on the rear,,, certainly not spokes with aluminum rims..  I would be curious if there is a seem where it was married to a back half?  Its a cool truck...  Just my 2 cent's...   Jojo

most gliders were long frame rails with suspension added based on wheelbase wanted. cut offs welded  to cab front half didn't seem to majority that i remember. 

1 hour ago, theakerstwo said:

A runaway DD can kill ever body big enough to run if you dont know what to do.

some options don't allow the run away  part. LOL  short version which i believe i told before on the forums;; working night shift waterbury Mack  CT . a K100 towed in for drive line problems. sat for two weeks in shop  waiting for tab to be paid. guy comes in late night ,climbs up in cab . hits the key; engine went beyond wide open in seconds. i rip rear cab engine screen off . CLIMB /CRAWL on top of screaming engine manually flip emergency stop;; tooo late. it shuts down; jack cab remove valve covers :: ALL rockers were shattered. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

Last registered in 1993, used as a yard mule until 8 years ago. No brakes on the front axle and only spring brakes on the rear most axle, the disconnected air can probably leaks much worse than the one that is still connected. 

once it is running I will replace, or rebuild, all the air cans and see if that starts to correct the air loss issue

2 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

tell me more about checking the rack and injector plungers 

remove the valve covers , work the fuel  linkage top of eng. the rack control rods = coming from governor to injector rack front of head Inside should move back and forth. the rack connecting each injector will move. as each injector goes to full fuel , the injector arm will rotate very slightly. I would remove truck fuel linkage from governor making sure engine linkage is free.  enlarging the picture the emergency shut off might not be connected. most of the time , steel cable cuts through the flip lever. MAKE SURE THE EMERGENCY STOP WORKS . sounds like a technical deal ;; it's not;; very  simple preventative maintenance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

remove the valve covers , work the fuel  linkage top of eng. the rack control rods = coming from governor to injector rack front of head Inside should move back and forth. the rack connecting each injector will move. as each injector goes to full fuel , the injector arm will rotate very slightly. I would remove truck fuel linkage from governor making sure engine linkage is free.  enlarging the picture the emergency shut off might not be connected. most of the time , steel cable cuts through the flip lever. MAKE SURE THE EMERGENCY STOP WORKS . sounds like a technical deal ;; it's not;; very  simple preventative maintenance. 

The cable is not connected to the flip lever, it looks like it was just bent over the lever. That seems like a weak way to attach it, how much force would be in the flip lever?

The lever moves freely, do I need to check it further?

how many batteries should I put in the truck? Here in Southern California i have only run 2 batteries in my other trucks. Will 2 work or do I need 4?

On 10/5/2022 at 10:33 PM, mechohaulic said:

see the sangangomo (wrong spelling) speedo /clock on the dash; haven't seen one of those since the '70's.

The Sangamo Tachograph looks like it should be mounted in the dash to the right of the tachometer. But where it is now was a common spot for them. My MB had one mounted on a 1" X ? length of pipe wielded to plate steel on the dog house. Speedometer cable came thru a hole near the shifter tower. Have two of them, should mount one of 'em where it once was.    .....Hippy

• Like 1

Looks like a 13 spd. to me too..  sunlight faded the red button. 8LL would be blue,,, 18 , gray..  I wish I was close enough to go look at it... I just want to see this truck that is unusual to me...  jojo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

Looks like a 13 spd. to me too..  sunlight faded the red button. 8LL would be blue,,, 18 , gray..  I wish I was close enough to go look at it... I just want to see this truck that is unusual to me...  jojo

That old scream'n demon woulda got a 13 of the RTO or RT variety. It is a cool old truck. Probably doesn't weigh much either.

• Like 2