.....seems to be the most common statement regarding my B61 project. Put the cab back on the chassis for summer storage and found that it doesn't fit. Apparently, the E6 is longer than the 673 (by a fair bit) so I will have to "massage" the firewall to get the cab back on. Not a big deal.....just more work. Since I have to rework the firewall anyway I will redesign it to accept the air to air intake plumbing to the left air cleaner that I am going to install. Looks like the shifter for the main might end up too far back to fit the existing opening in the floor as well so might have to deal with that as well. Still pretty minor "adjustments" compared to when I put a Mercedes diesel/4spd in a 1931 Ford model A. All part of the "fun". 

Somthing being missed here, there have been a bunch of these swaps and nobody ever had to mess with firewall, i know the older engine waterpump  had to be used because of it being shorter. and as 63Bmack stated pump housing.    terry:MackLogo:

nothin has to be done with the firewall... an E6 is a 237 is a 673 , is a 676 is a 300 , is a 300+, is a 711. all the same block. only thing needed to change from original engine is the front hub on the crank and the water pump has to be a 2 belt pulley one with short shaft. AND IF your using a double disc clutch it screws everything up. have done a bunch of these and there needs to be NO firewall modification

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Freightrain I followed your lead with my b-42 and replaced my 673 with a much later 1980 673 out of a fire truck I did what you did fit with no real modifications other than changing the water pump and front pulley. It was cake compared to putting a 302 ford engine in a highly manipulated model a frame with a ford 33 pickup cab.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

nothin has to be done with the firewall... an E6 is a 237 is a 673 , is a 676 is a 300 , is a 300+, is a 711. all the same block. only thing needed to change from original engine is the front hub on the crank and the water pump has to be a 2 belt pulley one with short shaft. AND IF your using a double disc clutch it screws everything up. have done a bunch of these and there needs to be NO firewall modification

That was my understanding when I started this project but, even with the throttle linkage removed from the back of the engine block, the firewall is right up against the back of the head and the front cab bolts are an inch or two behind the mounts. 

Does it have to do with the motor mounts you are using and/or where the motor mounts bolt to the truck's frame? Perhaps there is variances in these that are causing the engine block to be located farther back. How much room do you have in the front?

I used the original B61 front motor mount so the front of the engine pretty much HAS to be in the right/stock/original location. Also, I had to mount the rad as far forward as the mounts allow ( I think I may have shimmed it with a couple washers also) to get enough room between the harmonic balancer and the rad support to get a belt on. The original mounting on the model B was so close it was impossible to get the belts off between the balancer and the rad support. I had to move the rad about 3/16" forward to accommodate belt removal/install. I am hoping that the rad location adjustment won't create more issues than fitting the sheet metal. There was mention of water pump issues but I don't recall doing anything in that regard.

23 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

I used the original B61 front motor mount so the front of the engine pretty much HAS to be in the right/stock/original location. Also, I had to mount the rad as far forward as the mounts allow ( I think I may have shimmed it with a couple washers also) to get enough room between the harmonic balancer and the rad support to get a belt on. The original mounting on the model B was so close it was impossible to get the belts off between the balancer and the rad support. I had to move the rad about 3/16" forward to accommodate belt removal/install. I am hoping that the rad location adjustment won't create more issues than fitting the sheet metal. There was mention of water pump issues but I don't recall doing anything in that regard.

Mad dog pretty much summed it up, different crank hub and pulley, and water pump housing and shorter water pump.

I'm still struggling to understand this one.  If the front mount is the same, how could the back interfere...given that all the "differences" are in the pulley/water pump.

Would be nice to see both engines in person...and with a tape measure.

Signed: Curious

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Sorry for the delayed response. I was gone to the mountains snowmobiling for the last trip of the season. I will look it over tomorrow and try to get some pics. I DID notice that he floor needs to be cut out a bit to clear the shifter for the main box and that is preventing the cab from moving forward but it looks like it is up against the motor anyways. 

Pretty sure I figured out where the problem lies. Not 100% sure HOW it happened or what needs to be done to fix it but at least I see where I have to work. I checked the front mount and compared it to a stock motor that is still in another chassis and found that the one that I installed (the E6) there is a gap of about 1"-2" from the mount to the front cover whereas the old stock one the mount is right up TO the front cover suggesting that the engine needs to go further back on the front mount. This will also require the balancer to go further on the crank or to will run into the rad support when the engine is moved ahead. I will have to pull the rad and lift the front of the motor, remove the balancer and push the mount further onto the cover then pull the engine ahead to bolt up the mount. Of course this means making new trans mounts again but that is pretty much par for the course. 

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 12:38 PM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I'm still struggling to understand this one.  If the front mount is the same, how could the back interfere...given that all the "differences" are in the pulley/water pump.

Would be nice to see both engines in person...and with a tape measure.

Signed: Curious

After the photos now I’m confused lol… bob

3 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

Pretty sure I figured out where the problem lies. Not 100% sure HOW it happened or what needs to be done to fix it but at least I see where I have to work. I checked the front mount and compared it to a stock motor that is still in another chassis and found that the one that I installed (the E6) there is a gap of about 1"-2" from the mount to the front cover whereas the old stock one the mount is right up TO the front cover suggesting that the engine needs to go further back on the front mount. This will also require the balancer to go further on the crank or to will run into the rad support when the engine is moved ahead. I will have to pull the rad and lift the front of the motor, remove the balancer and push the mount further onto the cover then pull the engine ahead to bolt up the mount. Of course this means making new trans mounts again but that is pretty much par for the course. 

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

I believe that is why you need the water pump housing, water pump and crank hub off the 673 engine, they are all shorter, you said you made the rear mounts, might have them to far one way , moving the engine back into the firewall?    terry:MackLogo: