Shop Talk

Onyx610

32 minutes ago, mowerman said:

I drove one for one day years ago I actually liked it but it was a trash truck shot or nose gas job it was somewhere around 79 cool looking truck thanks for the post there’s not many out there in fact I haven’t seen one of the years in years..: bob

I think I mentioned this before.  A local construction outfit had a green one when I was young.  One of the owner's sons crashed it with a fuel tanker behind it and died.  They later put a blue/white Pete cab kit on it.  Still had the green frame, and a couple of the gauges still had the pentastar on them.  I drove that mongrel one trip across town.  Always felt eerie sittin' in it.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

53 minutes ago, mowerman said:

I drove one for one day years ago I actually liked it but it was a trash truck shot or nose gas job it was somewhere around 79 cool looking truck thanks for the post there’s not many out there in fact I haven’t seen one of the years in years..: bob

There was 5, maybe 6 Big Horns at the national show in Harrisonburg last year. Most i'd ever seen at one time.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I did see aT100 Kenworth working just yesterday around Reno truck was in pretty good shape pulling a long box downtown I had never seen it before non-sleeper single drive somebody had it cleaned up pretty good he might’ve been going or coming from a truck show that I didn’t hear about around here I don’t know I just assumed he was doing deliveries locally with it… bob

Here's a little more shop talk...  I finally got off the couch, and in my shop and back to work on My '48..   I took the rear wheel off to do a brake job..   All new brake parts were installed by the previous owner, unfortunately, the truck sat un used for so long that the new wheel cyl. froze up, and the shoes froze to the adjusters..  I got the shoes freed up, but there is no saving the wheel cyl.  Heck even the bearings were new...  So now its time to find the wheel cyl's.  Wish me luck..   Jojo

KIMG1250.JPG

KIMG1251.JPG

3 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I think I mentioned this before.  A local construction outfit had a green one when I was young.  One of the owner's sons crashed it with a fuel tanker behind it and died.  They later put a blue/white Pete cab kit on it.  Still had the green frame, and a couple of the gauges still had the pentastar on them.  I drove that mongrel one trip across town.  Always felt eerie sittin' in it.

Yes sir I don’t blame you 

Yep,  The rust in them is pretty bad...    I will still take them apart anyway and see if I can hone them out...   I did the front wheels last spring and they seem to be holding fluid..  Thanks, Bob... jojo

I can still get the whole wheel cyl.   It's all good...   I need to get them repaired/ replaced, new wheel seals, and new axle nuts and lock rings..   the old axle nuts have a dozen chisel marks in them....  :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mowerman said:

I doubt a BigHorn was a gas job.  Lots of guys used to like Dodge's class 8 trucks. They were fairly popular where I live back in the '70s. They were mostly some form of 900 series .  The BigHorn was Dodge's attempt at a truck on par with big Peterbilts and Kenworths. I think the base engine was a 350 Cummins.

Oh thanks for that I thought I did mention it was a short nose as I said I only drove it one day but I was pretty impressed with the performance I was helping out a friend of mine pick up a bunch of cardboard somewhere that was a little too much for him to do by himself but yes the big Road version is definitely a fine  looking rig certainly beats the hell out of some of the junk we have nowadays as I said I don’t know what happened to them all … bob

there was a construction outfit about 45 miles north of me that ran a bighorn pulling their lowboy, and on occasion a dump trailer. they finally retired it 5 years ago. it still looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. 

has an 8V92T detroit in it.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

It was probably young kids bellyaching about under Powered nobody wanted to drive it .:: Rodeway Here had an old R model they were using for city deliveries for the longest time and they finally got rid of it but that’s what one of the guys told me nobody wanted to use it because it was too slow ….Bob

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

I can still get the whole wheel cyl.   It's all good...   I need to get them repaired/ replaced, new wheel seals, and new axle nuts and lock rings..   the old axle nuts have a dozen chisel marks in them....  :) 

That's good then, that you can still get them. There's a place in Va. that will rebuild them and guarantee them for life. They might sleeve them, I don't know. I don't know how expensive it is either. I think they usually have an ad in the Wheels of Time magazine. 

Here's their ad, might be good for future reference anyway.

20201211_162853.thumb.jpg.ece728dd00642d5de0dd28aa56e13c0a.jpg

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 10/1/2022 at 4:18 PM, tjc transport said:

i don't know, the yellow "B" with "L" cab and V8 emblems looks pretty sweet too!

The yellow  B / v-8  defiantly has my vote also. in the day the V-8  had a great sound  without putting 7=8 in pipes on it.   great pictures JOJO.  

• Like 1
  • Like 1